Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nets 2017-18 Discussion Thread

Nets off to a firery hot pre-season this year. Although 2 games were against the horrific Knicks :p. Any pre-during-post game discussion can go in here. Anything you wanna complain about or anything you’re excited about (about the nets) can also be discussed in here! Let’s go Nets!
    Last edited by Nets fan 93; 10-09-2017 at 12:05 AM.

   

Default Re: Nets 2017 Offseason Discussion Thread

Hate to say it, but in future you probably won't see me around ISH much (if at all). Reddit has a much more active Nets sub for one thing. I already know one of our old buddies is there already, and he knows me too.

Anywho...

I'm quite pleased with the big Brook - DRuss trade and the pick of Afro-Samurai. In the space of little more than a year, Marks has done a pretty amazing job of loading the team with interesting young talent and installing a great, family-friendly culture of hard work and responsibility. This is exactly what should have happened years ago if it wasn't for Prokhy's foolishness and impatience.

And some how, some way, the lost picks have become far less tragic. It's true this won't be a contender any time soon, but it WILL be an exciting team that plays hard and plays the right way, still with a lot of growth ahead of it. That's all I reasonably could have asked for.

Most fans around the NBA still don't seem to understand how rapidly and dramatically the team has changed for the better, but I have little doubt they're going to get their views dramatically updated across this season. Even now, a surprising amount of Knicks fans seem to be jumping ship for the Nets. Maybe not on ISH, the land of cavemen, but across other places I visit. Does it matter? Not really, but it's still kind of funny to see.

Hmm, so what else is there to say? Not much, I guess. I'm sure there'll be some rocky points across this season, given this young bunch of guys, but overall I'm confident this will be a lot more fun than last year. For one thing, there's no longer a key player or position that can be derailed by injury, given how diversified and overlapping the skill sets are. Probably DRuss will be the biggest question mark and potential headache, followed by Afro. But they're in excellent hands with Kenny and staff, so worst-case scenerio it shouldn't be too bad.

Rock on with your bad selves.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    Hate to say it, but in future you probably won't see me around ISH much (if at all). Reddit has a much more active Nets sub for one thing. I already know one of our old buddies is there already, and he knows me too.

Anywho...

I'm quite pleased with the big Brook - DRuss trade and the pick of Afro-Samurai. In the space of little more than a year, Marks has done a pretty amazing job of loading the team with interesting young talent and installing a great, family-friendly culture of hard work and responsibility. This is exactly what should have happened years ago if it wasn't for Prokhy's foolishness and impatience.

And some how, some way, the lost picks have become far less tragic. It's true this won't be a contender any time soon, but it WILL be an exciting team that plays hard and plays the right way, still with a lot of growth ahead of it. That's all I reasonably could have asked for.

Most fans around the NBA still don't seem to understand how rapidly and dramatically the team has changed for the better, but I have little doubt they're going to get their views dramatically updated across this season. Even now, a surprising amount of Knicks fans seem to be jumping ship for the Nets. Maybe not on ISH, the land of cavemen, but across other places I visit. Does it matter? Not really, but it's still kind of funny to see.

Hmm, so what else is there to say? Not much, I guess. I'm sure there'll be some rocky points across this season, given this young bunch of guys, but overall I'm confident this will be a lot more fun than last year. For one thing, there's no longer a key player or position that can be derailed by injury, given how diversified and overlapping the skill sets are. Probably DRuss will be the biggest question mark and potential headache, followed by Afro. But they're in excellent hands with Kenny and staff, so worst-case scenerio it shouldn't be too bad.

Rock on with your bad selves.
    I hear ya man. There are so many different places to talk about sports now. It's cool man. Thanks for your opinions and views on the current roster. I can't wait to see this team! Have a great summer man

   

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    I hear ya man. There are so many different places to talk about sports now. It's cool man. Thanks for your opinions and views on the current roster. I can't wait to see this team! Have a great summer man
    Have a great summer, duderino!

Btw, tonight's the kickoff for free agency. I kind of hope Marks isn't quite as free-spending (more like free-offer sheet signing) as last summer. There's some decent young talent here and no particular urgency the next couple years, especially for overpaid contracts. What is an aging JJ Reddick going to bring, for example.

Also, it looks like most of the Nets' starters are going to play in the summer league. That should really jump start the beginning of the regular system, similar to last year.

Recycling this thread for the regular season. Hope to see some of you guys back this year! Let’s go Nets. Future finally looking bright again.

   

Default Re: Nets 2017-18 Discussion Thread

I think I might float around here if there's going to be Nets talk. A few months back I was completely disgusted by rampant racism in the lounge, but I could just come back and hang out here.

Anyway, it's great to see how well the Marks / Atkinson plan is working so far. All of the summer talking points, like defense, 3pt shooting, positive culture, unselfishness, fast pace and a deep roster seem to be working out.

This team looks like it's going to wear out other teams that aren't well-prepared. I am definitely expecting some upsets. Actually I wonder if the Nets aren't peaking too early, although I guess that's a good problem to have.

I think I might float around here if there's going to be Nets talk. A few months back I was completely disgusted by rampant racism in the lounge, but I could just come back and hang out here.

Anyway, it's great to see how well the Marks / Atkinson plan is working so far. All of the summer talking points, like defense, 3pt shooting, positive culture, unselfishness, fast pace and a deep roster seem to be working out.

This team looks like it's going to wear out other teams that aren't well-prepared. I am definitely expecting some upsets. Actually I wonder if the Nets aren't peaking too early, although I guess that's a good problem to have.
    I hear ya. This will be strictly Nets talk. A bit off-topic is fine occasionally but nothing negative. Anything negative will be deleted so no worries.

The Nets seem to have a really nice chemistry so far. Players like Acy, Russell, and Carroll all seem to be rejuvenated by this fresh start. Like I've said earlier I think this team is deep. Most of the bench can go out and give you some really productive minutes. Yesterday for instance had a player like Kilpatrick being a 3rd option off the bench behind Crabbe.

The system is beautiful. Really fun basketball. I am a really big fan of Atkinson and am hopeful he is a coach that sticks around for a while. He's smart and really develops players so great.

Next preseason game is against Philly so we might see a little bit more of a competitive game. Let's see what BK can do against more competition.

Thanks for trying to help keep the forum alive lol.

Was at the game tonight. Got a rally towel. Nets love to give those out. Gimme a shirt man lol. Entertaining game. Drove me crazy seeing Vucevic drain every shot but it was a fun experience. Really impressed with Carroll his defense was nice. 3 and D Carroll is back!

   

Good for you, man. I had practice last night and missed the game.

I'm relieved Afro finally got to play, and it sounds like he's doing good things already. Kind of hard to believe Lopez' D has been missed, so far. Or maybe it's other factors going on.

I get that we'll be a losing team this year, but I'd hate to see any long losing streaks like last year again. I know development is much more important, but I'm still human. Also, it would be great to see some blowouts here and there when the defense clicks and the threes are falling. Should be a couple teams we can do that to, like the good ol' Knicks.

What a win against the Cavs.

I love how balanced our scoring is. Even without D-Lo and J Lin, the next guys stepped up. Carroll and Crabbe already looks like amazing off season acquisitions. Caris and RHJ have continue to improve and starting to look like legit NBA starters.

Guys, it finally feels good to be a Nets fan again.

   

Quote Originally Posted by MTing
    What a win against the Cavs.

I love how balanced our scoring is. Even without D-Lo and J Lin, the next guys stepped up. Carroll and Crabbe already looks like amazing off season acquisitions. Caris and RHJ have continue to improve and starting to look like legit NBA starters.

Guys, it finally feels good to be a Nets fan again.
    Whoah... I was wondering where you'd got to, duderino. Haven't seen you on Reddit again, either.

Pretty awesome to see The Mayor step up like this. Can you imagine little Yogi Ferrell trying to go head-to-head against Lebron like this?

Sounds like DLo will be rested again tomorrow, so another chance for his honor to do his thing.

Marks has an ability to find talent that is getting downright spooky.

Whoah... I was wondering where you'd got to, duderino. Haven't seen you on Reddit again, either.

Pretty awesome to see The Mayor step up like this. Can you imagine little Yogi Ferrell trying to go head-to-head against Lebron like this?

Sounds like DLo will be rested again tomorrow, so another chance for his honor to do his thing.

Marks has an ability to find talent that is getting downright spooky.
    I stop by r/goNets once in a while. I'm mostly cheering on the Nets in r/NBA haha. Had to stop by here to celebrate the win with you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by MTing
    I stop by r/goNets once in a while. I'm mostly cheering on the Nets in r/NBA haha. Had to stop by here to celebrate the win with you guys!
    Dinwiddie

   

Nets 98 - Suns 92 in Phoenix, 11/6.

First game I've managed to see in a while. Nice work holding off the Suns all game long after that hot start. With all the sloppiness going on in the 2nd quarter, I definitely thought the Suns were going to surge ahead pretty quickly. Nope...!

At this point I don't know what the hell Mozgov is good for. It's hard to think of a single area in which he has a positive effect, and that includes intangibles, like screening and disrupting plays with his bulk. Based on tonight I could definitely go for more of Zeller in his place.

Disappointing to see Levert still so out of sync on offense, but I guess the idea is to let him play through these issues and grow like RHJ did last season. *fingers crossed*

Very nice to see Crabbe looking as relatively active as he did to go along with his killer jump shot. They obviously need to get as much development and progress out of him as they possibly can. Joey Buckets another pleasant surprise as well for similar reasons.

It does still look like people are trying to figure out how to fit together on both sides of the ball. I guess the crazy-good passing offense in the pre-season and beginning of the season isn't quite locked in yet. Not sure if that's all because of Lin, or too much hero-ball or whatever.

   

Damn, so many of these games are on days I'm either practicing or busy. Somehow I've only managed to catch about three games so far. Pathetic.

I'm also kind of annoyed with myself for getting a little too pumped about the team over the offseason. I assumed CLV was more finished than he actually is. I understood Mozgov would never come close to replacing Brook's offense, but I assumed he'd counter that by being useful in other areas. I assumed there would be a little more continuity between between the success of late last season and this year. I figured Kenny's emphasis on defense would have more of an effect. I hoped that Afro-Soul would have more of an immediate impact.

Welp. :/

At the same time, I wasn't quite expecting the success and usefulness of players like DLo, RHJ, DMC, Dinwiddie and even Harris. So really, there's a good deal to be positive about.

Maybe the hardest thing is having to keep reminding myself that it's best for the Nets to struggle like this, both for this season and the next. Actually I have a feeling they're going to come together a little too early, making the draft pick in 2019 a lot less good than it could have been.

Still unbelievable how horrible the big trade was for us. It truly is the gift from hell that keeps on giving. Also makes it confusing knowing how to root for the team, years later (i.e., wins, development, tanking?).