Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Default Re: Portland Fires Coach Nate McMillan

Kanales is another guy that started as a video coordinator and worked his way up

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Nate is not the coach non-Blazer fans believe him to be. Many Blazer fans are celebrating his firing, but I'm reserving my emotions, because though I had been ready to move on from McMillan for quite a while (multiple seasons), this is not an addition by subtraction. Blazers still need to go out and acquire a coach that knows how to draw up plays in crucial moments while still being able to motivate as McMillan had done in years past.

Saw a basketball once

Nate is probably the worst coach to win 50 games. He's not a great coach. He doesn't make appropriate adjustments when needed. Just watch any one of the blazer's post season games from the last three years and you'll understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfacethrill
    Nate is probably the worst coach to win 50 games. He's not a great coach. He doesn't make appropriate adjustments when needed. Just watch any one of the blazer's post season games from the last three years and you'll understand.
    Yep. Most NBA fans just look at the regular season records and hear about the numerous injuries Portland had (even with injuries they had a lot of talent still), and they assume he must be a great coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Nate is not the coach non-Blazer fans believe him to be. Many Blazer fans are celebrating his firing, but I'm reserving my emotions, because though I had been ready to move on from McMillan for quite a while (multiple seasons), this is not an addition by subtraction. Blazers still need to go out and acquire a coach that knows how to draw up plays in crucial moments while still being able to motivate as McMillan had done in years past.

I always liked him in Seattle

Jerry Sloan? Larry Brown?

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Honestly, I didn't watch the Sonics under a microscope as I do the Blazers, so I don't know if the same issues (inability to make play calls in crucial moments) applied in Seattle. All I know is that in Portland, McMillan got enough out of his players in the regular season to make the team's record look good, but he could never produce when it counted (it wasn't simply the fact that he lost either, it was how the Blazers lost every year in the playoffs).

Ironically, I do think McMillan is good for a rebuilding team. He did a lot for Portland in his first couple seasons when they were trying to separate themselves from the Jail Blazers persona. However, too many Portland players tuned McMillan out, so even though they are rebuilding now, I don't think he was ever getting their attention again.
    Last edited by Myth; 03-15-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    he's not good with players. i recall ray allen wasnt fond of nate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfacethrill
    he's not good with players. i recall ray allen wasnt fond of nate.
    I think it is just veterans and first year players. Nate seems good with players in their 2nd through 5th seasons. Rookies don't like him because they don't get to play. Veterans don't like him because he demands them to play his way and the veterans are set on doing their own thing.

McMillan has been a solid coach over the years, but IMO it was time to let him go, so I'm glad they did. Many thanks and best of luck to him.

His fault was that he would only let his team play the way he wants them to play.. he did not utilize some players as well as they could have been because of that. We started playing more uptempo this year, like we should with the roster we had, but it was still clearly Nate's offense. He limits his players to make them fit into the offense. All coaches should, but Nate does it too much. The PG in his system doesn't get many chances to create for himself and we play through the wings and the post. We had good PG's over the years. I hope Felton starts playing well with Nate out.
    Just some ramblings.. still stunned by all that has happened to the Blazers today. damn.

Sloan available?

Terrible move by the front office / ownership of Portland. I'm confident we'll see him coaching elsewhere quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by PHaYze
    Knicks already in talks with Nate.
    nate would be good for the knicks

Isiah used to praise him a lot, so there you go

And i call it yesterday in the game thread... i see all.

Good college starter AznTacoLover's Avatar

Thanks Nate for everything you have done for us! but now it's time to move on jerry sloan available?