Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default meditation + mindfulness

anyone practice those two things?

I feel like they can extend your life time and by that I mean your perception of time is prolonged.

In addition to reducing stress and maintaining focus.

Default Re: meditation + mindfulness

I used to study with some Sri Lankan monks once or twice a week, although I've fallen out of practice for various reasons. Mainly due to being an atheist, and I think I went about as far as I can go with it without really devoting my life to it.

I still meditate on my own from time to time, especially when I get somewhere particularly serene, or if I'm bored or upset.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

I used to meditate last year but I pretty much stopped altogether but the topic meditation/mindfulness really intrigues me and it gives me a deeper appreciation of philosophy. Been reading books on the subject watching alot of youtube videos on(Alan Watts). But I still do deep breathing alot of the times.

Kinda helps you analyze things better, helps you relax more and makes you think alot more.

I'll look into it.

I was doing mindfulness meditation twice a day for almost 6 months, but lately I've fallen off. I want to keep going but I never want to actually sit down and just do it. It's a pain in the ass. But the effects are unbelievable. I felt the best I had in years.

I do almost every day. Its a pretty big part of my life

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    I do almost every day. Its a pretty big part of my life
    The second I start to feel really good mentally, I stop meditating. Then I'll slowly feel a little worse over time, until I meditate again. Do you have any words of wisdom to get me out of this pattern?

5-time NBA All-Star

The feeling of going through life without a thought in your head competent relaxed and aware is fuking amazing

I was present grocery shopping and that was more enjoyable than doing funner things cloudy

Russell Brand practices transcendental

Buddhists do shamata and bodhicitta

Muslims do salat

yogis do pransysma breathing

high performance athletes visualize in addition to Meditation

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    The second I start to feel really good mentally, I stop meditating. Then I'll slowly feel a little worse over time, until I meditate again. Do you have any words of wisdom to get me out of this pattern?
    Meditation is hard.. its a mental discipline. I've been doing it for like 4.5 + years I think and only in the last year do I feel like I get immediate rewards from it. It builds up overtime... its basically like rewiring your brain to something different and new, something that there is no way to imagine other than doing it over and over.

You have to get away from the idea that meditation = good feelings. Thats not the point of it and the moment you think that the idea will take over your brain... which will be counterproductive. Meditation is not always fun... meditating when life is trying to shit on you.. and you're stressed out, worried about shit... you start thinking wtf am I doing this bullshit for?.. Is this really going to help me? etc.. Meditating at that point is what separates a person that is serious about it versus a person that thinks its kinda a cool thing to do cus they heard some stuff about it.

tbh.. I don't know what you need to do.. your problem is unique to you and solving it yourself is what will make you stronger mentally. To me it sounds like you lack discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    Meditation is hard.. its a mental discipline. I've been doing it for like 4.5 + years I think and only in the last year do I feel like I get immediate rewards from it. It builds up overtime... its basically like rewiring your brain to something different and new, something that there is no way to imagine other than doing it over and over.

You have to get away from the idea that meditation = good feelings. Thats not the point of it and the moment you think that the idea will take over your brain... which will be counterproductive. Meditation is not always fun... meditating when life is trying to shit on you.. and you're stressed out, worried about shit... you start thinking wtf am I doing this bullshit for?.. Is this really going to help me? etc.. Meditating at that point is what separates a person that is serious about it versus a person that thinks its kinda a cool thing to do cus they heard some stuff about it.

tbh.. I don't know what you need to do.. your problem is unique to you and solving it yourself is what will make you stronger mentally. To me it sounds like you lack discipline.
    I definitely lack discipline. Laziness is a frequent issue for me. I don't conflate the idea that meditation ='s good feelings, at least not in the short term. I know that any one meditation can be intense. When I first started I went a week straight being filled with anxiety throughout my whole body every time I sat. So trust me I know.

I enjoy letting positive thoughts flow through my mind

mindfulness might be the most difficult thing I've ever attempted

how the F do u stay in the moment for more than 90 minute spans???

anyways, can you guys share some benefits and how it improved your mental well being?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey

anyways, can you guys share some benefits and how it improved your mental well being?
    I'm sure it's different for different people, but here were some things for me.

I started sleeping a lot better, and falling asleep faster. I appreciated the world around me on a different level than I ever have. It's amazing how much we don't really appreciate things. Taking a mindful shower is a real experience. Taking a walk on a sunny day. It's almost like seeing things for the first time. For most people, the sky and the clouds are just part of the background. When you're mindful they are astounding and beautiful.

On the flip side, negative situations become dulled, or can be avoided entirely. For example, I realized early on that there were certain types of basketball players I HATED playing with. I would build a case in my mind that these guys were a-holes, I didn't like them, they don't like me, and if I play ball with them I will have a bad day. I realized that about myself by being mindful, really paying attention to my emotions as I played ball with these guys.

The next time I saw those guys at the court, I was mindful of this hatred and nonjudgmentally accepted it. I didn't push it away, but I didn't build on it and feed the fire. I just let it sit, and accepted that it was there. By doing this, my mind was open and free to giving those guys a fair chance. What happened? I ended up making friends with them and played some of the best basketball I had all summer. It doesn't always work out so smoothly, but I've had several experiences like that.

One night our sink overflowed and water poured out all over our kitchen. We had to spend 2 hours cleaning everything up in the middle of the night. I decided to be mindful about it and for all I cared, I was doing something I enjoyed. I didn't allow the hatred and annoyance to build, that any normal person would (justifiably) feel. I just stayed in the moment and cleaned.

I really need to stop being lazy and keep going. It's been a week since I've meditated. I don't want to lose touch with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey

I've never stayed in the moment for 90 minutes straight. That's for people who are really really experienced. I was meditating 20 minutes twice a day and even that was maybe pushing myself too hard at times. I was able to stay mindful on and off throughout the regular day but never for a constant span of more than 20-30 minutes. I think early on it's good to just appreciate the times you are mindful and try to remind yourself to do it on occasion. 90 minutes is a long time.

It is very difficult! Especially if you have tough emotions to deal with, even repressed emotions coming up during meditation. Some of my early meditations were really intense like I mentioned early in the thread.

National High School Star

Taking a shower is like meditating for me. It's the only time i can truly let my mind relax and drift away. The rest of the time it feels like it's going 217 mph.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Taking a shower is like meditating for me. It's the only time i can truly let my mind relax and drift away. The rest of the time it feels like it's going 217 mph.

Yeah the shower is def bomb for relaxation/contemplation.