Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 08-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default I'm not sure how to feel about the new Pistons

Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva are definitely good scorers, but I'm not sure about the rest of their games, especially defensively.

It seems the team has potential to be pretty good but I'm not sure how good exactly
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: I'm not sure how to feel about the new Pistons

I've made some pretty harsh posts about the moves that Joe D made this offseason. I don't think it's a bad team, but I just don't think it's a team that can contend. We spent a lot of money for a team that will be a 5-7 seed in the playoffs. I like Charlie but BG just is not worth that much money. It makes no sense to me to pay bench players 10 million per season, especially when we still needed another big man.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
goldenryan
I'm Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I've made some pretty harsh posts about the moves that Joe D made this offseason. I don't think it's a bad team, but I just don't think it's a team that can contend. We spent a lot of money for a team that will be a 5-7 seed in the playoffs. I like Charlie but BG just is not worth that much money. It makes no sense to me to pay bench players 10 million per season, especially when we still needed another big man.
i gotta agree with that.
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
embersyc
Lurker

There were no available moves that could've turned the Pistons into a contender, the best available bigmen were our own free agents. Joe did the best thing he could, sign the best young talent available so that he has some trade assets down the line.

I seriously don't think either Gordon or Villanueva or even Wilcox for that matter has hit their talent peak yet, all three guys have a great shot at improving down the line.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

The league is modifying the rules continuously every year to cater to more offensive oriented basketball, and Dumars is trying to move in this direction. The league continues to stifle teams that play a more rough style of defense and is trying to create a game that is more "exciting" and what not…
Since our last championship, the rules have dramatically changed and changed against our favor. Dumars is now looking at a new reproach and feels that the fellows we have brought in can be better suited to succeed in today's NBA.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
dd24
NBA lottery pick

While I agree with those statements I think I would have been happier saving the money for next year. I'm fine with the Charlie signing. A young big man that can put up a double double potentially is worth that. BG is a 6th man. Chicago wanted no part of him. They didn't even really try to pursue him. There's a reason for that. If the Pistons didn't offer him 10 million who would have? The way the market was if they wanted to pursue him they could have got him cheaper. I like the Wilcox signing. It really doesn't matter if he's a flop because that was a cheap contract. BG just put a stranglehold on our franchise for years though.....
Old 08-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #7
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Yeah, I am not all too pleased with the BG signing, mainly the price. He is a solid player, but to come off the bench for that kind of money is just crazy IMO…
I can only hope it works out and that our huskies can work together.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Magic Vinsanity
Local High School Star

Dont worry guys, I'm sure the Pistons will still own my Magic, regardless of who is on the team or not, thats 4 guarenteed wins per season
Magic Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
dd24
NBA lottery pick

As much as I would like that, the one strength we always had against the Magic was Billups and the fact that Sheed could D up any of the big men. Now the Magic have more solid players on their team around Dwight, and we are rebuilding. I think the top of the East is Boston, Orlando, and Cleveland without a doubt.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
Magic Vinsanity
Local High School Star

Quote:
As much as I would like that, the one strength we always had against the Magic was Billups and the fact that Sheed could D up any of the big men. Now the Magic have more solid players on their team around Dwight, and we are rebuilding. I think the top of the East is Boston, Orlando, and Cleveland without a doubt.

You didnt have Billups last year and still owned the Magic, didnt have Billups for the last few games in the 2008 playoffs when you blew out the Magic too. The main guy who gave Orlando fits was Sheed, he gave Howard a ton of trouble, I'm devastated he signed with the Celtics. I'd have preferred we got him or he re-signed with Detroit.
Magic Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Sheed to Boston is a scary move. I think they went after him just for the fact of matching up with teams like Orlando.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
ZeN
Stormblessed

I believe this will be a very frustrating season for D-Town
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:05 AM   #13
qrich
King Heno

I have a feeling the Pistons are going to just try and get a high pick to add Greg Monroe, who would be a great fit.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
dd24
NBA lottery pick

I really don't think they are going to tank the season from the start. I like Greg Monroe too, but I don't think the Pistons are a lottery team. I think they are a mediocre team, which is tough because once you're mediocre it's hard to get back to being elite because you don't have the money to sign a big time FA and don't have a draft pick high enough to make an impact. Anyway around it, no team goes into the season thinking they will get a lottery pick. Everybody tries and if it doesn't work they will tank games at the end, like the Miami heat did a few years ago to get Beasley.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #15
goldenryan
I'm Back

Quote:
Sheed to Boston is a scary move. I think they went after him just for the fact of matching up with teams like Orlando.
yep, i'm going to be upset if sheed starts playing like the sheed of old this season. he didn't seem motived at all last season.
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: