Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 12-31-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Default Charlie Villanueva Upset

I've been wondering what is really going on with his playing time lately. I picked him up in the later rounds for one of my fantasy teams this year. I expected him to be one of those sleeper kind of guys for those rounds since the Pistons don't really have any good big men this year. I figured once he got better from the injury he would be pretty good. For some reason he just isn't playing and apparently he isn't happy about it.

Quote:
Then why did the Pistonsí prized free-agent acquisition Charlie Villanueva play only 12 minutes, going scoreless in the 104-87 blowout at the hands of the Knicks on Tuesday night? Villanueva, who said he was fine afterward, put the focus squarely on Pistons coach John Kuester. ďI donít know what it is,Ē Villanueva said. ďI donít know. Iím not going to suit up so they can monitor my minutes. Iím suiting up because I feel like I can play. ďSo thatís a question youíll have to ask him.Ē And while the comments were in a subdued - not belligerent - tone, we do have some evidence that Kuesterís job of divvying up the minutes on this roster will definitely have some bumpy patches. ó Detroit News
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Charlie Villanueva Upset

Well, it looks like they may have talked things out. Let's see if he starts playing more...

Quote:
Well, it probably didn't go as far as kissing and making up between John Kuester and Charlie Villanueva. But the Pistons coach and backup power forward did have long a discussion after Wednesday's practice session -- Kuester gave Villanueva the key to staying on the floor after he expressed frustration over playing only 12 minutes in Tuesday night's home blowout loss to the Knicks. "I've been struggling the past couple of games," Villanueva said of the team's eight-game losing streak heading into today's game against the Bulls. "We talked about it and I made some defensive, you know, I missed assignments. And he took me out because of that. I understand it, but you move on. You move on and worry about the next game." Detroit Free Press

Villanueva hasn't played well since he started struggling with plantar fasciitis in his right foot and a bout with the stomach flu Monday that required a hospital visit. He is shooting only 6-for-35 over the last five games, including another scoreless game. Villanueva is definitely a player whose No. 1 asset is putting the ball in the hole, and if he isn't scoring ... well, it might be hard for him to stay on the floor. He admitted his health is probably a contributing factor to his decline but didn't want to use it as an excuse. Detroit Free Press
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: