Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
shlver
코비=GOAT

Default Moving out on a tight budget.

I'm moving out but I have a really tight budget. For now, I have no source of income. My schedule for school is erratic for this semester and during second semester I'm going to make it more friendly for a part time job. I have about $2,500 from leftover scholarship money that I hope will hold me down until January where $3000 dollars more will come in. I'm also thinking about a loan but I think it's overkill. The place I'm renting is $400 utilities included. I'm going to skip out on internet, cable, and a cell phone(maybe) and use school internet for a couple months until I have a steady source of income.. Am I being too cautious? It's my first time being completely independent and I'm worried. Insurance will totally **** me over unless I reconsider a place closer to school.
Oh and any ideas for grocery shopping that will be nutritious and still be cheap?

Last edited by shlver : 10-19-2010 at 05:50 PM.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
IlliniFan
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Moving out on a tight budget.

Get a job first... Then move out. Moving out with no source of income is retarded.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
shlver
코비=GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
Get a job first... Then move out. Moving out with no source of income is retarded.
Yeah. I really need a part time job, but I'm taking 18 credits and my schedule is all over the place and it's not really conducive to getting a part time job right now. My parents are being very unreasonable...
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
TennesseeFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan

/thread
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
miamiandorlando
Serious playground baller

welcome to breakfeast lunch and dinner until january
miamiandorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
I'm moving out but I have a really tight budget. For now, I have no source of income. My schedule for school is erratic for this semester and during second semester I'm going to make it more friendly for a part time job. I have about $2,500 from leftover scholarship money that I hope will hold me down until January where $3000 dollars more will come in. I'm also thinking about a loan but I think it's overkill. The place I'm renting is $400 utilities included. I'm going to skip out on internet, cable, and a cell phone(maybe) and use school internet for a couple months until I have a steady source of income.. Am I being too cautious? It's my first time being completely independent and I'm worried. Insurance will totally **** me over unless I reconsider a place closer to school.
Oh and any ideas for grocery shopping that will be nutritious and still be cheap?
Congrad's on the choose. I moved out on my 18th birthday , with a boot in the pants thanking me.
If you spoil yourself with internet , use the same provider that gives you a land line.
Cell phone - drop it.
I use a $100 a year track fone, and have ton's of minutes.
---------------
Get a job even if it's 15-24 hours.
That extra time gives you cred , self worth and better out look in life about your self and other people. Even if it's minimum' wage - it's extra cash... if you can land a job with funds under the table - 100% better.

Find a room mate- share some of the expenses , so that you can have some extra cash and time to have fun.

Eat what you want - no need to buy $15 bottles of wine , when $6-8 bottles are just as good... same for Beer.

If your going to save some extra $$ // take the babe out for a dinner and enjoy the freedom.

Don't buy cloths - of all things this is how cash can get wasted.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
don't know what state you're in but here's the biggie, find a major grocery chain near you, get the club card and learn how to work the coupon system, go online and find coupons for things you want/like buy nothing without making sure it's on special or you have a coupon for it, even restaurants, pizzam etc etc... the saving add up...

btw i suck at this, but my wife is a crazy good... lol
we don't hurt for money at this time but she still has the system down, for her it's like found money, she has a little file folder full of coupons, she knows what days the stores have the best deals etc etc.. the other day we went for a few things the bill was almost 80 bucks then she went to work lol, out came the club card then the coupons and she took something crazy like 48 dollars off the total the final tab was like 27 dollars...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

why are you moving out without a source of income? Seems pretty silly. That being said, there are lots of ways to scrimp and save. Check out the hillbilly housewife for some really cheap grocery lists. I also made one for a thread here to show that you can feed a family of 2-3 on 30 bucks a week. forget the thread name. that, and buy on special. I tend to not be as organized as gts' wife and just peruse the specials as Im in the store. Remember, all those little items (coffee from starbucks, a candy bar, parking costs) add up quickly, so "mind the pence and the pounds will look after themselves". If you are prepared (take snacks and lunch to school, brew your own coffee and bring it with you, etc), you can save a ton of money.

and frozen veggies are a great alternative to fresh (and sometimes better). Cheap and nutritious.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Moving out with no job is one of the stupidest things you can do. You could really set yourself back several years and quickly get into financial trouble. You will blow through 5,500 in a heart beat.

This is a terrible idea.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
simcjt
The bodyguard

T-mobile 3g cell phone with tethering. You will have a phone and if you have a laptop can connect it to your phone to surf the web.

Actually doesn't even need to be a laptop. Just connect and download the software.

Nokia Nuron with the ovi software is an example of what i'm talking about.
simcjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
why are you moving out without a source of income? Seems pretty silly.

That was my first thought.
Can you explain to us?
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #12
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
don't know what state you're in but here's the biggie, find a major grocery chain near you, get the club card and learn how to work the coupon system, go online and find coupons for things you want/like buy nothing without making sure it's on special or you have a coupon for it, even restaurants, pizzam etc etc... the saving add up...

btw i suck at this, but my wife is a crazy good... lol
we don't hurt for money at this time but she still has the system down, for her it's like found money, she has a little file folder full of coupons, she knows what days the stores have the best deals etc etc.. the other day we went for a few things the bill was almost 80 bucks then she went to work lol, out came the club card then the coupons and she took something crazy like 48 dollars off the total the final tab was like 27 dollars...

I believe the word you're looking for to describe that second bit is "thrifty"
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
Tool
Ball til I fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
That was my first thought.
Can you explain to us?

His reason is:

Quote:
My schedule for school is erratic for this semester

To that I say, stay at home until you have enough time to work and go to school.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #14
1manfastbreak
still hyphy

your life is gonna suck for months to come if you move out
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiandorlando

welcome to breakfeast lunch and dinner until january

lol
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: