Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-05-2016, 01:36 AM   #16
nightlight
Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
This is great advice but keep in mind pc component manufacturers have made huge strides in providing quality components that are more budget friendly. I remember the days when Silverstone and PC Power & Cooling were the only players that made high quality PSUs, nowadays, most manufacturers make quality PSUs because there are better standards (i.e. gold provides great efficiency). Plus, cpu's and gpu's draw wayyyy less power. The most high end graphics card from Nvidia only has a single power connector.

Efficiency is not the place to start when selecting a psu. Three things make a quality psu: design, testing and components. Cheap psu manufacturers traditionally shortcut in one or more of those areas. When a psu goes bad, it tends to take other hardware to the grave with it.

OP get the WD blue. It won't bottleneck your system. That's absurd. Storage isn't the place to stretch your budget. Storage and RAM are the easiest upgrades to add later on. What's more important to you? Being able to play month(s) earlier on your new rig or having an ssd?
nightlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:38 AM   #17
bladefd
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Just save up more.

I've been building affordable gaming rigs for many years. My rule of thumb is:

180-220 for CPU
150-200 for Motherboard
180-250 GPU
75-150 on RAM

NEVER EVER skimp on a power supply. You will always regret it. Spend about 80-120 on a good one you can afford. PSU malfunctions are often disguised as many other components and are very frustrating.

No to the 3 things I put in bold.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:41 AM   #18
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
It is from 2006.

He's obviously not looking to overclock or have the latest and greatest ports or M.2 compability. His $50 mobo will be just fine, it's no different than a motherboard you would get from Dell. $80 power supply? Why? He won't be drawing a lot of power and the one he has linked, is just fine.

It's not worth arguing with you. This has nothing to do with overclocking or the "latest greatest ports"; whatever the **** that means. Good luck.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:45 AM   #19
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
No to the 3 things I put in bold.

Your performance, to price, to resale value in 3-5 years is far superior in all of those price ranges. It's not debatable. You will be able to sell those parts, with original packaging, for nearly 50% of original cost in 4 years and use the profits to re-up on a new machine. An 80 dollar Zotac or MSI motherboard is literally worth nothing in a few years whereas an 175.00 ASUS hero board is worth 85 dollars in 3-4 years.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:00 AM   #20
bladefd
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Your performance, to price, to resale value in 3-5 years is far superior in all of those price ranges. It's not debatable. You will be able to sell those parts, with original packaging, for nearly 50% of original cost in 4 years and use the profits to re-up on a new machine. An 80 dollar Zotac or MSI motherboard is literally worth nothing in a few years whereas an 175.00 ASUS hero board is worth 85 dollars in 3-4 years.

Very few sell in 3-5 years. Most just upgrade cpu/videocard and continue as long as they can. At least if they're smart.

You're talking about shelling out 700-800 on the core parts + case + harddrive. Easily 800-900.. Jam's budget is 500-600 not 800-900.. c'mon think, dude, think.

Last edited by bladefd : 06-05-2016 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:05 AM   #21
bladefd
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Jam, here's what I would change..

-choose quieter powersupply - seasonic is much quieter and tends to be better quality
-better motherboard - normally, I suggest full atx but since you have limited budget, microATX is fine. ASUS tends to have better customer service than msi

Here are the 2 changes:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dgwxFd

Go with that build, jam, . That psu from Seasonic there is mid tier 2. EVGA one is bottom of tier 3.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...tier-list.html

Asus also is better company than msi. I have great past experience with asus/gigabyte. MSI not so much.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:08 AM   #22
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Quote:
Very few sell in 3-5 years. Most just upgrade cpu/videocard and continue as long as they can. At least if they're smart.

You're talking about shelling out 700-800 on the core parts + case + harddrive. Easily 800.. Jam's budget is 500-600 not 800-900.. c'mon think, dude, think.

I'm the only one thinking here with a long term strategy for affordability and performance. You're acting like a dumbass. He listed his budget. You should pay attention because the very FIRST thing I ****ing told him was to save a bit more. Wait a month or 3. All the reasons are listed thereafter. Once you make the initial investment for case, monitor, PSU, and peripherals my advice is infallible because you can stay current for over a decade with only a CPU-MB-GPU-RAM upgrade every 3-5 years.

You can go ahead and buy a budget motherboard and PSU, but you might as well light a 100 dollar bill on fire while you're at it. Wake up and use your brain.

I bought an ASUS Maximus VII Hero board for 205.00 in 2014. One sold on ebay for like 125 last week. Play the long game. Don't be an ignorant dumbass.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:08 AM   #23
BigNBAfan
Great college starter

visiting the states... in Fl unfortunately but bought a new gold macbook today
BigNBAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:47 AM   #24
AirTupac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNBAfan
visiting the states... in Fl unfortunately but bought a new gold macbook today

I joined the macbook game too a couple months ago. It is GREAT.
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:51 AM   #25
highwhey
SHOOTERS SHOOT

Quote:
It's not worth arguing with you. This has nothing to do with overclocking or the "latest greatest ports"; whatever the **** that means. Good luck.
Then why the hell does he need to spend at least $150 on a motherboard or $80 on a psu?
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #26
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #27
Jameerthefear
Banned

Okay... what I get the most from this thread is I shouldn't skimp out on an SSD
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #28
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
Okay... what I get the most from this thread is I shouldn't skimp out on an SSD

That's up to you. I think you'll be fine with a HDD, but a SDD will juice your rig more. It's a better investment. Computers are affordable these days, you can get good components are decent prices. Just look around.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #29
bladefd
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
That's up to you. I think you'll be fine with a HDD, but a SDD will juice your rig more. It's a better investment. Computers are affordable these days, you can get good components are decent prices. Just look around.

You make a good point. This seems to have good reviews for 7 bucks more over the HDD..
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/gf98...sp550ss3240gmc

You can always add a HDD later if you need more backup space down the road. I have 2 backup harddrives and 3rd external hdd I added later on for old movies/games backup. I don't have a SDD, but it was way too expensive 6 yrs ago when I built my pc. If you ever decide to get a HDD down the road for backup, you want windows/games to be on your SDD since you want performance. Anime/movies/etc can be fine on backup HDD.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/DPQttJ
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: