Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
IllegalD
Good High School Starter

IllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputation
Thumbs up Bird Gamewinner in Jordan's FACE

While I concede that MJ is the absolute GOAT,

I believe that a player like Larry Legend (who you could make an argument for being the GOAT, too) did more with what he had, or more importantly, DIDN'T have (freakish athleticism).

Larry Bird is my favorite player of all time.

One thing that pisses me off is when they play that highlight of a young/spry MJ dribbling the ball between his legs and proceeds to hit a jumper RIGHT IN Bird's FACE.

I found this game-winner from Bird which I was surprised to have never seen before in many of the Bird Game-winner/buzzer-beater compillations I have seen.

Not only does Bird own BOTH Pippen and Jordan but he nails the game-winner RIGHT IN JOrdan's FACE. Falling-away, over the outstretched arms of a JUMPING Jordan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtA7RfpRsjA

In all fairness, here is the famous play in which Jordan makes a fool out of Bird that I was talking about b4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z-y7mI6Y9Y
IllegalD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board
Default Re: Bird Gamewinner in Jordan's FACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllegalD
While I concede that MJ is the absolute GOAT,

I believe that a player like Larry Legend (who you could make an argument for being the GOAT, too) did more with what he had, or more importantly, DIDN'T have (freakish athleticism).

Larry Bird is my favorite player of all time.

One thing that pisses me off is when they play that highlight of a young/spry MJ dribbling the ball between his legs and proceeds to hit a jumper RIGHT IN Bird's FACE.

I found this game-winner from Bird which I was surprised to have never seen before in many of the Bird Game-winner/buzzer-beater compillations I have seen.

Not only does Bird own BOTH Pippen and Jordan but he nails the game-winner RIGHT IN JOrdan's FACE. Falling-away, over the outstretched arms of a JUMPING Jordan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtA7RfpRsjA

In all fairness, here is the famous play in which Jordan makes a fool out of Bird that I was talking about b4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z-y7mI6Y9Y

Bird was one of the 5-7 best players ever IMO. He could pass like a point guard, he could play almost any position and he was not only an amazing shooter but an amazing pure scorer despite a lack of athletisism. Bird was one of the 3 best clutch shooters of all time too with Jordan and Miller.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

larry was one of my faves too. he was ludicrously clutch and as a bulls fan too i always got so pumped for those games. he had some nice games against scottie even after he was hobbled, though i don't think they matched head to head in 92 because larry was almost exclusively playing the 4 by then (he had no mobility left to defend 3s). they had one of the greatest games i've ever seen in 91. it was an ot game and they both had 30 plus and i know larry had a near triple double and i think scottie might have too. great game.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

That video only illustrates how great a team/help defender Jordan was, considering that he was on the other side of the key when Bird started his move, and ended up whiffing and nearly blocking Bird's shot. The quickness with which he recognized that Pippen was going to get beat and came to help is part of what made him a perennial defensive first-teamer.

So thanks for that video which clearly shows Jordan's greatness. :)

Bird was pretty good too, btw. :) Bird was a bad, bad man.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
IllegalD
Good High School Starter

IllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
That video only illustrates how great a team/help defender Jordan was, considering that he was on the other side of the key when Bird started his move, and ended up whiffing and nearly blocking Bird's shot. The quickness with which he recognized that Pippen was going to get beat and came to help is part of what made him a perennial defensive first-teamer.

So thanks for that video which clearly shows Jordan's greatness. :)

Bird was pretty good too, btw. :) Bird was a bad, bad man.

This is a Larry LEGEND thread, son.

I think MJ would appreciate it if you removed his balls from your mouth for the remainder of this thread.

I know thats difficult for you to do... :)
IllegalD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

It wasn't even Jordan's man... I mean come on now.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

I think MJ would appreciate it if you removed his balls from your mouth for the remainder of this thread.

I know thats difficult for you to do...

If it is a Larry Bird thread, why do you post the video of him getting crossed? You won't see a Jordan praising thread having any single play of him getting owned "for fairness".

BTW, I knew about this game, after having seen a Celtic fan's collection, where he was commenting on his games. The video has been posted already on Youtube and, not surprisingly, it drew a low rating (if it wasn't for the Bulls getting victimized, it would be pretty higher. ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoGmMx8Ejrw
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

So much for Jordan always getting the calls...
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #9
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCY
So much for Jordan always getting the calls...
Yep, he clearly got wacked on the head by the guy behind him, on the potential game winning shot.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
Revelation
The Fouler

Revelation has decent reputation

Here is a good video of Jordan and Bird going at it:

Michael Jordan vs. Larry Bird 1988:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdMjK-60H-k

Two of the top 5 players ever going head to head... always fun to watch.
Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

bird is my all-time fav player. he could do it all, offense and defense, pass, dribble, shoot his butt off. he had so many clutch game winners in his career. not to mention, he's a fellow hoosier. i wish i would have been old enough to have followed his college career. isu's '79 season would have been amazing to see.

the jordan clip is good though. i remember watching that live.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #12
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I've never seen Jordan get blocked before especially on a game winner. That was something new to me.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
Poseidon
Banned

Poseidon has decent reputationPoseidon has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllegalD

I know thats difficult for you to do... :)

Not gonna happen.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: