Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Default Re: ESPN Continues To Be An Utter Embarrassment

Quote Originally Posted by emsteez forreal
    longest running show on american television (sportscenter), one of the best documentary series (30 for 30), a complete monopoly on sports news television, being able to watch skip bayless and stephen a. smith argue with eachother damn near everyday on 1st and 10, not to mention other great long-running shows like PTI.. yep, an utter embarassment.
    Thank god for that

iWANNAgoHIGHER. emsteez forreal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    Thank god for that
    lol, i don't know; it's funny and entertaining to me. apparently everyone on here got a graduate degree in journalism from columbia and hates ESPN.

but seriously though, i don't understand what you guys all expect from ESPN, just be thankful it hasn't nosedived like how TLC, A&E and every other station that turned their whole programming schedule into reality shows have. first take is entertaining to me because skip bayless is such an idiot and stephen a. smith repeatedly serves him, sportsnation is the more entertaining and fun show, the character of the journalists on around the horn and tony kornheiser and michael wilbon on PTI is just as entertaining as well.. everyone needs to calm down. like for example, that "ben affleck curse"? does anyone here actually think ESPN was reporting that as a serious factor? no, it's just for fun. skip bayless' top best-looking QBs? for fun. jeremy lin speaking on the mania surrounding tim tebow? yeah, they both played in NY at one point, not that crazy of a topic. the whole 'what if michael vick was white' thing? that was a serious topic that was discussed nation-wide, the picture of a white vick may have been too much, but a valid talking point.
    and like i said before, i don't know what you guys expect from a network that covers sports 24/7.. of course there's gonna be some filler, BS topics in there from time to time. like the other day billy crystal was on sportscenter. what the hell does billy crystal have to do with sports? nothing, but ESPN needs to mix it up from time to time to keep it interesting.

god damn.
    So you are saying you are easily amused? Good for you!

Very good NBA starter

espn = like the tmz drama of sports.

their objective is never to report relevant sports news; it's to stir sh!t up, even the stupidest sh!t, but then most are suckers for watching.

Local High School Star intrinsic's Avatar

Their baseball stuff is pretty good with Buster and Stark.

The problem with Sportscenter is simple. Once I've heard the news and scores, there's no incentive to keep watching.

First Take isn't terrible, but I like sports radio too. It's the same format on television.

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsic
    Their baseball stuff is pretty good with Buster and Stark.

The problem with Sportscenter is simple. Once I've heard the news and scores, there's no incentive to keep watching.

First Take isn't terrible, but I like sports radio too. It's the same format on television.
    Their baseball stuff is ok. I like Kurkjian and Stark, even though just about every player is great according to those two. Baseball tonight is still a pretty good show as well. I have no use for it though because the MLB network is around now.

NBA Superstar

longest running show on american television (sportscenter), one of the best documentary series (30 for 30), a complete monopoly on sports news television, being able to watch skip bayless and stephen a. smith argue with eachother damn near everyday on 1st and 10, not to mention other great long-running shows like PTI.. yep, an utter embarassment.
    My issue with ESPN is the matter with which they've evolved. I saw someone make a TMZ comparison and while I don't think ESPN is on that level, it does seem to be the direction they've been headed for a while.

There was a time, not too long ago, when ESPN seemed to hold professionalism, real news, and accuracy in very high regard. There was still goofiness, but not at the expense of real sports happenings. Something seems awry in that regard these days. It almost feels as if ESPN has made ESPN the number one viewing priority, with sports being their weapon of choice.

For example, Sportscenter's been evolving for some time, but back in the 90's, an episode of Sportscenter would in fact feature anchors with ridiculous catch phrases ("I am the king for as long as that ball shall travel! Bring me your finest meats and cheeses!") but it was all taking place during wall-to-wall sports highlights. There weren't extended anchor segments where the camera zoomed in on Stuart Scott so he could discuss why he felt J.R. Rider's alarm clock wasn't fully functioning correctly while raising concerns as to whether Rider was actually sleeping on the cool side of the pillow.

Basically, I fully understand ESPN stands for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, but I felt they were at their best when they were based on legitimate news and information. Now, it seems they have fully embraced the "Entertainment" aspect, to perhaps an absurd degree. Yes, I want to know if DeMarcus Cousins was ejected last night, but I don't want to hear multiple hours of back-and-forth banter about it for days on end.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

I agree with emsteez forreal...the hate ESPN gets from many people is just so over the top and silly...feels like people want to hate it just because it is popular...they aren't perfect, who cares

I watch SportsCenter pretty much every day...

Also, many of the personalities on ESPN are very likable people...Scott Van Pelt is funny, along with others

And who doesn't find this commercial hilarious?...come on!

Local High School Star intrinsic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Kurkjian

http://audio.weei.com/a/69634640/tim...-fame-vote.htm

He voted for Bonds and Clemens. That's cool and erases anything i hated about him prior. Interview covers everything from blaming the "clean players" to the embarrassment from clown votes like Sele. I like him a lot after listeining to this.

MLBtv has that show with action from every game, mlbtonight, and there's the highlight show quick pitch. They're doing that right.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

If you're watching ESPN for great journalism you're doing it wrong. They do try to seem like they still are doing that but we all know the truth.

But I will not go anywhere else for my highlights on T.V. And shows that are driven by the personality of those in them do have great potential to be very entertaining. Around the Horn is great at times when they have the right collection of people. Sportsnation was awesome when Marcellus Wiley was hosting with Michelle Beadle.

However this can err to. Jim Rome, Jim Rome, oh and uhhh... Jim Rome.

Their main NBA Countdown crew though is fascinating to me. Wilbon knows the game and has the long time writers perspective. Simmons has an interesting take on a lot of stuff in the game, and can bring the advanced stat-nerds perspective. And Magic is the greatest player at a position that we assume requires the most knowledge of the game. But the end result is a mess.

CBS and NBC have their own sports networks as well, so feel free to watch those.

did ESPN rape your mother? or take your lunch money every day and leave you hanging on the tetherball pole by your underwear? why do you hate ESPN so much? do you need to talk about this? shhh, shhh, come here, it'll be alright.
    Yeah, I got a little carried away, my bad. In the grand scheme of things they're not that bad, just a little annoying and PTI is still infinitely watchable. Well, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    CBS and NBC have their own sports networks as well, so feel free to watch those.

Fox is starting their own national sports net in August as well.

It'll be called Fox Sports 1.