Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 10-26-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Default Who should we draft?

The Raptors are probably going to be among the bottom 5 teams in the NBA, given our youth, lack of talent and mediocre coaching staff. So, assuming BC doesn't start pulling "trying to save my job" moves out of his ass, and we do indeed suck the big one this year, we should be able to get a pretty damn good prospect in 2011.

Obviously the hype is on Harrison Barnes to be the number one pick. If we get that pick, or he's still there when we draft, sure let's take him. Could eventually form nice wing tandem with hopefully much improved Derozan. But no matter how bad we are, the odds of getting that pick are low, and thus we probably don't get Barnes.

I think our greatest need is to get a legitmately talented young PG for the future, and there are going to be four freshman (namely Kyrie Irving, Brandon Knight, Josh Selby, and Cory Joseph, all Top 10 players in their HS Class according to Rivals) this season who have the size and talent to fill that need for us:

Kyrie Irving (Duke) - Projected as a top 3 pick, he is the real prize. Long, athletic, a true PG with great scoring ability, leadership ability, feel for the game. A little skinny and we may not have a high enough pick, but I want to get him. I would compare him to Devin Harris.

Brandon Knight (Kentucky) - Best defender of the bunch, 6'3 and physically strong, great scorer, not as much of a true PG as Irving or Joseph, less athletic than Selby or Irving, but I'm sure he will be a one and done and will probably still be there a little later in the lottery in case we win too many games. i would compare him to a rich man's Raymond Felton.

Josh Selby (Kansas) - Assuming he looks capable of being a true PG, and doesn't show attitude problems, I would love to get him. He is the most talented scorer of the quartet, explosive and skilled, rated as Rivals #1 player for his HS class. Poor man's Baron Davis?

Cory Joseph (Texas) - Probably the least likely of the four to be a one and done, but in some ways he could make the best choice for us. He is Canadian, so way less chance of this bullshit "I don't want to play in Canada for a team named after a dinosaur" attititude. Also he is the best shooter and playmaker of the group. However, he's not quite as athletic as the others. Maybe I'm just excited about him because he's the highest ranked Canadian HS in seemingly a LONG time, but he reminds me somewhat of Chauncey Billups.

There are other options of course.

For one, Maalik Wayns of Villanova has a lot of talent and could have a breakout season.

Fabricio de Melo of Syracuse is a huge and talented true center who might do enough to warrant picking.

I think Perry Jones is overhyped and don't want us to pick him on potential alone, although he has a ridiculous amount of it. I just think he's a big risk in the top 5, which is where he's probably going. There are a bunch of other PFs who I am really not high on but could change my mind (Enes Kanter, Jared Sullinger, Jan Vesely). Donatas Motiejunas reminds me of Bargnani, hopefully we avoid like plague. Canadian Tristan Thompson might be a good guy to use a later first rounder on.

My favourite position to draft for if we aren't going with one of the five PGs I mentioned is SF. Besides Barnes, Terrence Jones and C.J. Leslie have great size and talent, but may be tweeners. I'm not sure if John Henson is a SF, but if he is... Elas Harris and Canadian Kris Joseph might do as later first rounders.

Drafting a SG would sort of signal us giving up on Derozan already, wouldn't it? But if we do, Alec Burks, Rodney Williams, and Reggie Bullock are all young guys who MIGHT explode this season. William Buford later in the first.

This is way early, but I am choosing to start getting hyped for the light at the end of this inevitabley miserable season.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

Default Re: Who should we draft?

I agree a point guard would be best at this point I'd like Irving or Knight but we would really need to unload Calderon or Jack.
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
bluerap
Good High School Starter

I really want kyle irving.
but if we get the top pick got to be barnes.
than hopefully selby is around for our second pick (ie hopefully miami flops and that pick isn't too late)
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
baller03
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

what about strong centre ? any good prospects out there within the lottery range ?
baller03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Fabricio de Melo of Syracuse is a huge and talented true center who might do enough to warrant picking.

So it was already there.

Good post - nice summary.

Picking a 5 would be "out of character". I think it would signal we have given up on Barges completely or at the best - we have given up on Barges and are moving him to the 4 position as a quality 2nd option 3rd option guy.

I am not offering an opinion on good or bad - nor starting another usless pro/anti Barges flame war.

I am simply spelling out the truth as I see it.

Having said that - I belive the season progression will influence that choice.

A PG is more likely under the intial assumption that : Calderon gets moved or Jack (1 year remaining) has indicated he is not staying no matter what and you need to replace Jack.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
Quote:

So it was already there.

Good post - nice summary.

Picking a 5 would be "out of character". I think it would signal we have given up on Barges completely or at the best - we have given up on Barges and are moving him to the 4 position as a quality 2nd option 3rd option guy.

I am not offering an opinion on good or bad - nor starting another usless pro/anti Barges flame war.

I am simply spelling out the truth as I see it.

Having said that - I belive the season progression will influence that choice.

A PG is more likely under the intial assumption that : Calderon gets moved or Jack (1 year remaining) has indicated he is not staying no matter what and you need to replace Jack.

I think picking a 5 would have no impact on Bargnani. If the team decides Bargnani is here for the long haul, picking a 5 would actually benefit everyone, the team and Bargnani alike. He slides back into the 4 position.

I really think this is a year where we should try anything to get another lottery pick. Trading expiring deals to a non-contender who's hard up against the cap; good things could happen.

I'd be happy with Barnes, Jones, Irving, Knight or Kanter in a top 5 position.

With a roster like the one we have, I don't think we should draft for position, BPA (best player available) is how the Raps need to go because this roster is far from complete.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Best talent available regardless of position. We'll see how the NCAA season plays out and go from there.

There isn't a single player on this roster that I feel comfortable with as being a long-term starter. I'm hoping Derozan changes my opinion on that but his preseason didn't help. So for me, all 5 long-term starting spots are up for grabs.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I think picking a 5 would have no impact on Bargnani. If the team decides Bargnani is here for the long haul, picking a 5 would actually benefit everyone, the team and Bargnani alike. He slides back into the 4 position.

Which is what I said ? Barges moves back to 4?

In either event I see that as confirmation of a different direction because we drafted the "4 of the future" this year. Injured or not he is the Cb4 heir apparent.

Hence the logic that a big man (5 or even another 4 projected to be a part time 5) is a change in direction.

I think a 1 is most likely/pressing need given current management direction. Jose available and Jack possibly a short term rental if he is indicating he is on his way out of town.

So BPA doesnt work for the Raptor IMHO.

I dont disagree that all 5 spots are open and that everyone has something to prove or that the NCAA season will also influence our choice.

I just think we have very definite needs and some question marks are so obvious we do need to draft by position.

Last edited by Jballer : 10-27-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
T-Low
College superstar

Why are we discussing this so early even before our first game?
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Sorry, Jballer, must have misread what you said. Glad we agree

So, if you aren't going the BPA route, which need are you drafting for? Point Guard? Center?

Let's assume the only two players in our future are DeRozan and Bargnani. That cancels out the SG and PF positions, leaving us to draft a C, SF or PG, in which case I would argue that you still take the best player available regardless of whatever of the three positions a certain player plays.

It's a hard thing to discuss now, because a lot of the players we are talking about haven't played a single NCAA game, we don't know where we pick, and with the lockout a possibility, a lot of these underclassmen may not even declare for the draft.

I'll never turn down a chance to talk about the draft though
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
Jballer
Local High School Star

Me neither - I can always talk draft.

"I think" that Derozan and Davis are the 2/4 for the future i.e. the cornerstones. The way I read the tea leaves.

Amir (signing) is the guy to groom Davis for the next 2-3 while he flushes out physically and skill wise. Weems might be the same for Dmar.

The Kliz-ster is also here for what ? 3 more years?

I think that Jose is available and we dont know if he is moved or what comes back - so that will affect the decision.

I think Jack will fly out of town after his 3 year deal is up (unrestricted now I would think). He came here to join Chris Bosh and Bosh is gone. What does Toronto offer him ? Competition with Jose for now and then competition with someone else ? Jack is a good player with a good rep. He played in minutes competition in Portland and played nice. He played in minutes competition in Indiana and played nice. He will get his own team and starter status guarenteed.

Therefore I think - I am sure - a PG is the only choice. We have to draft the best PG avaialble because we will need one having only : unhappy untraded Jose - or what ever we get back for Jose - or whatever we pick up as a stop gap for Jose/Jack. Acie Law etc.

However if Management drafts a big (5 or 4 projected to be a 4-5 tweener) I think this signals something very different. I think the drafting of a big with Ed here means Barges is off the bench and/or gone. This will happen after the evaluation of the season of course.

I am not starting a flame war here so all the pro anti Barges retoric can stay away. I am simply trying to state a fact.

Drafting best player available isnt a real option for the Raptors with this roster. 2 -3 -4 are taken care of and young and reasonably priced with a new CBA on the horizon.

I'm not saying they are perfect - I am saying this is what Raptors Management is commited to implying contracts, salary cap, CBA and all those considerations.

Therefore 1 and 5 are the needs.

1 is far more obvious. Drafting a big is an entirely difffernt "message"

While the NCAA season will shake up some of the prospects and change some of the opinions/names/assessments...

There should always be too few big men at the top (one or two) and lots of PGs in the mix (6-7) that have debatable merrits. i.e. each has different aspects of potential greatness.

I cannot remember the last draft that had 5 "consensus" Centers at the top of the draft. Doesnt happen. Ever. 1 or 2

Last edited by Jballer : 10-27-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

I've never liked this "best player available" cop-out, in the top 10 it is rarely cut and dried which is the most talented. Players are often of a very similar talent level, you have to guess which will be the best NBA player.

I'm not saying we should draft a PG no matter what players are available to us (especially if Barnes is there), but I am reasonably certain that one of those 5 PGs I mentioned will be one of the best players available to us.

Whatever, it really is too early to be certain of anything, I'm just throwing out names to watch once thee NCAA season starts.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
lilbustnani
Saw a basketball once

A big man to replace that SCRUB. please excuse me if I'm rude but im all seriousnes how are we gonna win with that guy?! not trying to start a fight.. just bein real talk

Kanter? Melo?! Start big and work our way down I think
lilbustnani is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: