Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Jimmer video. Ive watched him a bit this year and I cant decide on a prediction.

I've only seen a couple of highlight vids of the guy, but he seems way too stocky to be quick enough for the 1 or 2 position, his change of direction seems bulky and slow, he barely gets any separation on his first step and relies on using his body to shield the defender, that just won't work in the NBA. Spot up shooter at best, he has no other NBA level skills.

Jameer Nelson and Mark Price were both quicker and Jimmer's bball IQ is not even remotely in the same range as theirs.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Jimmer video. Ive watched him a bit this year and I cant decide on a prediction.

People on youtube are kinda upset I didnt respect the BYU honor code with my song choice...

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    People on youtube are kinda upset I didnt respect the BYU honor code with my song choice...

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

I think too much is made of what Jimmer can't do, but not enough of what he can. He may not be able to defend quick 1s next year, but he can definitely score on any PG in the league. He's strong and has broad shoulders. He's shown evidence of being able to post littler guards, and he can take contact as well as any guard I've seen coming out of college. Who really will turn down a potential 15-20pt player off the bench?

NBA rookie of the year ashbelly's Avatar

How different is this guy from jon scheyer ??

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    I think too much is made of what Jimmer can't do, but not enough of what he can. He may not be able to defend quick 1s next year, but he can definitely score on any PG in the league. He's strong and has broad shoulders. He's shown evidence of being able to post littler guards, and he can take contact as well as any guard I've seen coming out of college. Who really will turn down a potential 15-20pt player off the bench?

How can you call him a potential 15-20 ppg scorer without seeing him against top tier competition yet?

I give him a chance because 2 PG backcourts are becoming more popular, but the guy takes A LOT of bad shots.....which is cool because he can flat out shoot....but how is he going to deal with 8-12 shots to get into his groove?

His handle is solid but idk how it stacks up to your average NBA guard yet....his range is bananas but is it really that much better than Durant, JJ, Ray, or Kobe's?

These questions can't be answerede until we see him play against the pros.

I think he has some of the tools he needs, but he isn't a sure shot.

One thing is that he does not get off the ground to well and his slashing ability is grossly overstated.

BYU runs an offense that allows him to create and get to the middle (with his talent to his credit) but he's not going to have 4 guys getting him shots like that in the pros.

Banned

He's the next Adam Morrison, so he'll get a ring before LeBron

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    How can you call him a potential 15-20 ppg scorer without seeing him against top tier competition yet?
    Do you understand what potential means? How can you call anyone a potential NBA player without seeing them against NBA players? That's just a bad question.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    Do you understand what potential means? How can you call anyone a potential NBA player without seeing them against NBA players? That's just a bad question.
    I said top notch potential, not even NBA players.

It's bad to call someone out on their potential to score points in the NBA.

Jimmer has TONS of hype...and a lot of it is unfounded.

Just because he can do things against MWC teams does not mean he will be able to pull it off in the NBA.

Is he better than JJ Redick, Juan Dixon, D. West, Ben Gordon, were in college?

I think not.

But he has game andhe's white so let's overrate him and call him a potential 20ppg scorer in the NBA

Look at the players averaging 20ppg in the NBA and tell me that yor statement wasn't over estimation without provocation. (getting my Jesse Jackson on, lol)

I see nothing wrong with taking Jimmer at 9. The "top" prespects are gone at the point, and you're just taking a chance hoping you find someone that'll have a niche on your team.

John Henson, Montiejunas, Kawhi Leonard, and Brandon Knight are the prospects I think will all be going at this point. Are any of these guys a sure thing? Absolutely not. With Jimmer, you at least have a proven product. You can bring him off the bench as a 6th man on game 1 of his rookie year, and let him go crazy.

People talk about that, in the NBA he won't have 4 other guys just giving him all the shots. But in the NBA, your team takes up to about twice as many shots per game. He'll have enough opportunities to make it work.

One thing that's underrated about his game is that he has very good vision. I don't think his passes have the most touch the world, but he surprises me sometimes, because you think he's going to take every shot. When he doesn't and sets someone up nice, it's like "wow, maybe there is something more here".

I think, at the next level, Jimmer will struggle at first as we won't be able to get up every single shot he can in college. But because he has nice vision, I'd take a chance on him that he'll learn better shot selection and use his vision when in bad situations. There are not many guys who are great shooters who simply fail in the pros. At worst, he becomes a bench guy and situational shooter.

The 9th overall pick is a nice pick, which has turned out a lot of great pros, but the only stars it has produced were from the HS to NBA days (Amare, McGrady, and Dirk). In this draft, Jimmer should be considered a solid pick at #9. Since the draft eligibility change, the best players taken have been Noah and Derozan. The others look nothing special. By extending the eligibility, the NBA did it self a favor by making scouting easier. Now international prospects like dirk, and players like Amare/McGrady don't slip to number 9 because of their uncertainty.

We (the Bulls) picked BG with a much higher pick han nine and I think Jimmer at absolute best could be a Ben Gordon type guy....I say at best because Jimmer does not have the explosiveness of Gordon, he doesn't make any tricky shots, and he shoots over guys in college (in the lane from a stand still) and iI don't think he will be able to play like that in the pros.

basically, his style is more suited for college.

He's going to have to spot up in the pros as he is NOT a penetrator, idc what he's doing in the NCAA.

Being a Utah guy though I'm going to be pulling for him.

I dont think what prospects were taken at 9 in the past matter much. Just because you cant list any billy badasses since eligibility change doesnt mean taking Jimmer at 9 is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

Quote Originally Posted by ashbelly
    How different is this guy from jon scheyer ??
    Serious? Scheyer was hot garbage. Jimmer has strength and shooting ability. There's a reason Scheyer had no shot in the NBA and had to go overseas.

Did anyone know anything about Jimmer before this season? Its like a couple after into this season his name became popular. Yet he's not a freshman. He's a senior.

Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Did anyone know anything about Jimmer before this season? Its like a couple after into this season his name became popular. Yet he's not a freshman. He's a senior.
    He lit up Florida in the 1st round last year, analysts were talking about who he was going into the game. But he didn't get the attention during the season. Then Pullen lit him up round 2.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=300770252