Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: eurobasket2009

Banned

Default Re: eurobasket2009

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    Lol at whoever praised Greece's depth, I just remembered Nick Calates is in the team, and he is actually playing (I doubt he plays at all next season in a stacked Panathinaikos...)

They just got destroyed by Spain; I think Turkey should've made it to the semis, and would've fared better than them.

I love Greece, and they are usually very good, but this was their B team, they definitely didn't deserve a medal IMO.
    Greece is the second best team in this tournament. They simply cannot beat Spain because of match ups. I think you put a little too much stock in the group games.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Exactly, anyone who thought Kaumikglou and Kalompokis were an example of great depth is an idiot.

Spain deserved to get through as they had the superior team but Turkey would have been a much better matchup.

There's no point in arguing with Lakas Fan since he's clearly a Greek dick rider, dude probably thinks Spanoulis is better than CP3.
    You clearly never watch European basketball and know nothing about it.

Banned

Teodosic was huge today, Zdovk for some reason allowed him way too much room, they should have stuck him after he hit his 3rd and 4th 3. 32 points with a lot of great shots, if he can play anywhere near his level today, Olympiacos will be in great shape.

Brezec made a terrible unsportsmanlike foul. Jagodnik almost was the unsung hero after those 8 fourth quarter points.

If Erazem Lorbek stayed out of foul trouble, there is no doubt in my mind the Slovenians would have won.

As for CP3 and Spanoulis, it's not even close regardless of what role, what league, what rules, and what team they're on.
    Spanoulis is every bit as good if not better than Chris Paul is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    Spanoulis is every bit as good if not better than Chris Paul is.
    Congrats on officially becoming the least knowledgeable poster on this board.

Serbia!
    nuff said

some facts

- youngest team in the tournament, 22 years old on average

- the coach, Dusan Ivkovic, already won Eurobasket 3 times ('89, '91, '95) without losing a match before Eurobasket09

- basically missing the NBA starting 5 in Jaric, Pavlovic, Stojakovic, Radmanovic, Milicic

- also missing last seasons leading euroleague scorer Igor Rakocevic and starting pg Milos Vujanic

these guys won everything there was to win in international youth level in the last few years with european u-16, u-18, u-20 championships and world u-19 basketball championship... some very talented players in Teodosic (Olympiacos) Velickovic (Real Madrid) and Tripkovic (Joventut), Krstic most of you should be familiar with..

anyway, Spain are the favourites in the finals but you never know
    Last edited by PaPaK; 09-20-2009 at 12:16 AM.

Good High School Starter la bomba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaPaK
    Serbia!
    nuff said

some facts

- youngest team in the tournament, 22 years old on average

- the coach, Dusan Ivkovic, already won Eurobasket 3 times ('89, '91, '95) without losing a match before Eurobasket09

- basically missing the NBA starting 5 in Jaric, Pavlovic, Stojakovic, Radmanovic, Milicic

- also missing last seasons leading euroleague scorer Igor Rakocevic and starting pg Milos Vujanic

these guys won everything there was to win in international youth level in the last few years with european u-16, u-18, u-20 championships and world u-19 basketball championship... some very talented players in Teodosic (Olympiacos) Velickovic (Real Madrid) and Tripkovic (Joventut), Krstic most of you should be familiar with..

anyway, Spain are the favourites in the finals but you never know
    Serbia and ivkovic for that matter have an uncanny ability to win games.Yesterday Slovenia should have won but one way or another they didn't. Brezec's stupid unsportsmanlike,Lakovic's missed free throw etc.
    I don't think the NBA 5 you mention are better than what they have,infact it's because of them missing that they have done so well.Jaric is awful when playing for Serbia,Milicic is about the worst center Serbia have produced in the last decade.As you say these guys have more cohesiveness because of all the years they have been together.
    It will be difficult for them to beat Spain again,but if anyone can they can.
    As for another post,when I say i dislike France I don't mean I want them to lose regardless.I don't have a problem with France winning,I dislike their team basketballwise,I think a lot of their players are overrated.Parker is a very good player not an excellent one. Diaw is a very versatile player but not a star.Pietrus,Turiaf, good players but nothing more.Traore and Koffi good prospects full stop.

Well Milicic was a beast defensively at Eurobasket05, him and Krstic were just about the only positives back then, and was the 2nd best player at Euro07 with 15pts 10reb 3blk average.. i think that fiba rules really suit him. anyway i would expect him and Pavlovic to be included into the world championship squad. Milicic is actually missing due to getting married (hopefully he ****in matures now)

There are also some other possible additions but this team will def form the core for the next few years, which was the goal of this eurobasket, to form a good core for London Olympics and to reach the top5 in order to qualify for WC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOIQ-fkL9hE ignore the gay music

Spain is an absolute favorite and it will be very hard for this young team but it should be a good game

edit: by the way Serbia won eurobasket 8 times under various names while Spain never won it, failing in the finals 6 times... that could be the only thing going for the Serbs as Spain will be under huge pressure to win.
    Last edited by PaPaK; 09-20-2009 at 04:07 AM.

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Yep, to say Turkey wasn't trying as hard because they had an automatic bid is bs. This is the most cohesive French squad I've seen in a long time. Ali Traore and Alain Koffi are playing great, although I don't think Bokolo and Jeanneau are NT material. The best French squad IMO would be:

Tony Parker/Joseph Gomis/Antoine Diot
    Mickael Pietrus/Nando de Colo
    Nicolas Batum/Florent Pietrus
    Boris Diaw/Ali Traore/Alain Koffi
    Joakim Noah/Ronny Turiaf

Rodrigue Beaubois or Diot is a toss up.
    I think Diot more than deserves his spot, I'd put him well ahead of Gomis! (don't know about Beaubois).

I too don't think Bokolo should make it but Janneau's a nice player, very smart and good shooter.

Turiaf was probably our second best player this year, and should be in the starting 5 instead of an inexperienced Noah IMO. I still think Noah could bring a lot against the best centers of the world. I hope we have him next year.

The only thing I'm afraid of is Mike Pietrus' return. I just don't see him bringing a lot to the team, and I fear he'll just make a lot of mistakes. He seems to have gotten better last year though so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    I don't believe Parker deserves a spot on the all tournament team. You should at least make the semifinals for that.
    I think you're the only one. I for one don't think any greek should be rewarded for losing on purpose. Not letting Parker in the 5 just sends the wrong message to everybody. Considering that we're the only team to lose only one game (provided Serbia loses tonight), I think he deserves it.

EDIT: I checked and Serbia lost twice already, so we are the only team.
    Last edited by Nero Tulip; 09-20-2009 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaPaK
    Well Milicic was a beast defensively at Eurobasket05, him and Krstic were just about the only positives back then, and was the 2nd best player at Euro07 with 15pts 10reb 3blk average.. i think that fiba rules really suit him. anyway i would expect him and Pavlovic to be included into the world championship squad. Milicic is actually missing due to getting married (hopefully he ****in matures now)

There are also some other possible additions but this team will def form the core for the next few years, which was the goal of this eurobasket, to form a good core for London Olympics and to reach the top5 in order to qualify for WC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOIQ-fkL9hE ignore the gay music

Spain is an absolute favorite and it will be very hard for this young team but it should be a good game

edit: by the way Serbia won eurobasket 8 times under various names while Spain never won it, failing in the finals 6 times... that could be the only thing going for the Serbs as Spain will be under huge pressure to win.
    Milicic was a beast to the refs!!!
    What do you think of Musli??
    He will be the star in the next euro and i am sure he will be at the world champs.
    I really like Macvan I just wish he had about 5 or 6 extra cms

Quote Originally Posted by la bomba
    Milicic was a beast to the refs!!!
    What do you think of Musli??
    He will be the star in the next euro and i am sure he will be at the world champs.
    I really like Macvan I just wish he had about 5 or 6 extra cms
    Macvan has a ton of game, I was really impressed by what I saw of him at the Nike Hoops Summit. His game is very similar to Kevin Love, although he's a big shorter, he'll probably be picked in the first round next year.

Nero, the one thing about Jeanneau is that he doesn't seem to be even an average defender, he's pretty small for a point guard, and has no business being on a good NT.

I think Noah should start because he's almost a legit 7 footer while Ronny can bring energy off the bench. Why wasn't Tariq Kirksay on the squad?

well basketball can change so quickly but at half time Spain are destroying Serbia. 52 29!!
    Spain no depth? There is no team in the world other than USA that can beat Spain.Unless Serbia make a miraculous recovery.

Saw a basketball once

Seems like Spain is sweeping Serbia from the court... Showtime

We are the champions!!
    Last edited by BroncoBilly; 09-20-2009 at 04:53 PM.

to think Spain could have gone out against Great Britain!!
    When they play at 80% they are light years in front of any other team at 100%.
    The depth issue that was raised here is a joke.Cabezas came in and scored 10 points in 3 minutes! in the semis he was great too.

Quote Originally Posted by la bomba
    to think Spain could have gone out against Great Britain!!
    When they play at 80% they are light years in front of any other team at 100%.
    The depth issue that was raised here is a joke.Cabezas came in and scored 10 points in 3 minutes! in the semis he was great too.
    Yep, the only team that can beat a full strength Spanish squad at 100% is the US.

Calderon/Rubio
    Fernandez/Navarro/Llul
    Claver/Mumbru
    Pau/Reyes/Garbajosa
    Marc/Vazquez

Greece is a close third, IMO if they field their best squad, which IMO would be:
    Diamantidis/Papaloukas/Calathes
    Spanoulis/Zisis
    Vasilopoulos/Perperoglou
    Fotsis/Printezis
    Bourousis/Schortsanitis/Koufos

Maybe Tsaldaris or Papanikolau instead of Calathes .

Greece is not a close third. They are miles away, Spain always hammer them. Greece is going to suffer a major slump with Diamantidis and Papaloukas' depature. Serbia have about 7 players under 23 that have won 18 gold medals together in competitions, I think they are a team for the future.