Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter ConanRulesNBC's Avatar

Default Re: Return of the Amnesty Clause!

Bulls and Boozer?

IDK, I'll give Boozer one more season. He wasn't a disappointment like Ben Wallace but the way he disappeared in the playoffs was bad.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC
    Bulls and Boozer?

IDK, I'll give Boozer one more season. He wasn't a disappointment like Ben Wallace but the way he disappeared in the playoffs was bad.
    This is silly. You don't pay a guy 65M to go away when he is avg 18 and 10.

There are a handful of guys that are going to be kicked with this and they are all the terrible contract guys. The only reason to exercise the clause is to get out of paying tax. You are paying them either way, you might as well get SOMETHING out of them. But with high luxury taxes its a way to get out of paying the high taxes. Lakers will use it as they are 25M+ over the tax threshold and will be getting taxed at ~4X overage. So it is costing them 28M in taxes to give 7M to Metta World Peace or 24M to give Walton his 6M. If you were in charge of the pursestrings would you seriously pay $30M to have Walton on your team this year or would you pay 13M to be done with him?
    Last edited by HurricaneKid; 11-27-2011 at 03:36 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Surprised to see that Roy hasn't been mentioned yet.

High School Starter blazerjimmy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Surprised to see that Roy hasn't been mentioned yet.

Exactly what I was thinking........

Is it a given that Miami uses the amnesty on Mike Miller or do they continue with him???

Does Detroit use the amnesty? On who? Richard Hamilton is in the last year of his contract and I would think has trade value...so I would think it would be a toss up between Ben Gordon or Charlie Villanueva, both of whom have been largely disappointing. But then I took a closer look at their roster...holy crap, they've only got 9 players under contract, with one of them being Ben Wallace who is in trouble for drunken driving and weapons charges....I would assume that they'll bring Stuckey back..

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

Dallas won't amnesty Haywood for awhile. At least for a couple of years.

First they have to see how the Chandler situation plays out. If Chandler leaves, then Haywood is their starting center. If Chandler stays, then they can still keep him for a year and look for trade scenarios to teams that need a legit center.

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
    Dallas won't amnesty Haywood for awhile. At least for a couple of years.

First they have to see how the Chandler situation plays out. If Chandler leaves, then Haywood is their starting center. If Chandler stays, then they can still keep him for a year and look for trade scenarios to teams that need a legit center.
    If they resign Chandler and Butler the Mavs are going to be deep in a new, very steep luxury tax. When cutting Haywood could save 20 million in luxury tax this season alone (not unfeasible), it's just not worth having him around.

Also, when you say teams needing a legit starting center might look into Haywood, are we talking about the same player? Haywood is a career 7ppg 6rpg player, will be 32 going into the next season, has very questionable health and is a known lockerroom-cancer, who is locked up all the way until 2015 for 36 million. There are a lot of dumb GMs in the NBA, but I seriously question that any of them won't recognize Haywood as an extremely undesirable asset.

Roy pretty much has to get amnestied, since Portland would then have about 26 million in cap space next summer without Roy's contract.

Roy would be a great pickup for the Lakers.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

If they resign Chandler and Butler the Mavs are going to be deep in a new, very steep luxury tax. When cutting Haywood could save 20 million in luxury tax this season alone (not unfeasible), it's just not worth having him around.

Also, when you say teams needing a legit starting center might look into Haywood, are we talking about the same player? Haywood is a career 7ppg 6rpg player, will be 32 going into the next season, has very questionable health and is a known lockerroom-cancer, who is locked up all the way until 2015 for 36 million. There are a lot of dumb GMs in the NBA, but I seriously question that any of them won't recognize Haywood as an extremely undesirable asset.
    Is 20 million worth another title? Without Haywood, the Mavs don't make it to the Finals. Teams in this league need two quality big men at center.

And the Mavs are going to let Caron walk if someone offers him a decent salary. They don't need him. Especially when they will have some younger/cheaper players already under contract that can /will contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
    Waiving Balkman right now might be the stupidest possible decision. If anything, wait until next summer and amnesty him then (if we can't trade him) if necessary. It's not like wiping his less than $2 million contract from this years cap does anything for us and since we're not in the luxury tax Dolan wouldn't even save any money, so why waste such a valuable thing? It could be useful to use just in case something does happen to one of the bigger names *knock on wood*

Using it on him now could end up as one of the worst decisions ever.
    The knicks shuold never make decisions to save money. They should make decisions to open up cap flexibility. You keep it in case Amare's knees go in the last years of the contract, then you can use it and get $20M in cap space / savings right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Amnestied players still get paid right?
    If so, what would stop all of them from stacking together for the minimum on the Heat?
    Nothing would stop them. As a Knick fan, this should make you happy too though. They won't all go to the heat, and someone like a Haywood, big slug that he is would like good in our center for 20 minutes a game.

Baron Davis?

Blazers
    Brandon Roy , he is done. Which is sad since he was one of my favorite players.

charlie v or ben gordon
    travis outlaw