Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
All Net

Default Re: Your expections for the Thunder going forward?

Having a low post scorer was certainly more important in the early 00's to mid 00's but now? not really a factor at all to be honest but yes it can't hurt to have one. It certainly doesn't decide the champion these days.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
It's A VC3!!!
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinn
Have you ever heard of Dirk Nowitzki?

No. I've never heard of him. But can you explain how Chandler is a low post scorer.

And Dirk did everything. Don't label him as a low post player.
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
rmt
College star

If they keep their core together, I see them dominating the West in the regular season for the next 8 years. Don't know if they're ready to win the Championship this year. MIA is awfully hungry, and the Spurs might just have one more run left in them.
rmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
Odinn
I make 50-feet jumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
No. I've never heard of him. But can you explain how Chandler is a low post scorer.

And Dirk did everything. Don't label him as a low post player.
You f.cking idiot.

Dirk is a low-post scorer and averaged 27 ppg in 2011 playoffs. Dirk is one of the biggest threads in the low-post. You can not get away with Chandler's name.

2011 - Nowitzki
2010 - Gasol
2009 - Gasol
2008 - Garnett
2007 - Duncan
2006 - Shaq
2005 - Duncan
2004 - Sheed
2003 - Duncan
2002 - Shaq
2001 - Shaq
2000 - Shaq
1999 - Duncan

I'm not saying they should have a 20 ppg low-post scorer. They need an offensive weapon in the low-block.
Odinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #20
KG215
NBA Superstar

Quote:
No they don't.

They already have Westbrook, Durant, and Harden who share the ball throught an entire game. Role players such as Ibaka, Mayor, and Sefelosha have the ball for the remaining time. Have a low post threat is the worst thing the Thunder can have because if you are feeding a low post player, that means that the big 3 isn't touching the ball at all. And you clearly don't want that. A tyson Chandler type player is what the Thunder need and they already have that in Perkins.

I'd still like one that we can bring off the bench. Don't need one in the starting lineup but someone off the bench that can score in the paint and come in and play crunch time if Perk or Ibaka are in foul trouble or aren't cutting it would be nice.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #21
Clippersfan86
Banned

VC3 lol at OKC sharing the ball. Their biggest weakness is turnovers and they aren't a great assist team. To answer OP I think the only teams in the next couple years who will challenge OKC in the west are the Grizzlies, Clippers and maybe Spurs. Lakers and Mavs need a rebuild possibly unless they pull off great trades.

My expectations for OKC are to make the WCF every year pretty much for the next decade with maybe a couple finals appearances.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #22
ganja0710
Banned

Quote:
You f.cking idiot.

Dirk is a low-post scorer and averaged 27 ppg in 2011 playoffs. Dirk is one of the biggest threads in the low-post. You can not get away with Chandler's name.

2011 - Nowitzki
2010 - Gasol
2009 - Gasol
2008 - Garnett
2007 - Duncan
2006 - Shaq
2005 - Duncan
2004 - Sheed
2003 - Duncan
2002 - Shaq
2001 - Shaq
2000 - Shaq
1999 - Duncan

I'm not saying they should have a 20 ppg low-post scorer. They need an offensive weapon in the low-block.
Who's even considered a elite low post threat nowadays? Bynum is. Too bad he's gone. Roy Hibbert? Al Jeff? With the lack of big men in todays league, you can certainly go a longer way into the playoffs without one than you could have back in the 90's or 80's. If the Thunder wont be able to win it all without a legit post player, then Miami wont either.
ganja0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #23
OKCThunderUP
Thank you Based Presti

Not one of OKC's best 4 players are in their prime yet and this team is already scary good. Hard to imagine there aren't several Larry O'Brien trophies in their immediate future.
OKCThunderUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #24
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCThunderUP
Not one of OKC's best 4 players are in their prime yet and this team is already scary good. Hard to imagine there aren't several Larry O'Brien trophies in their immediate future.

I think you guys have a good shot for 2 in the next 10 years. Sounds low to a Thunder fan but it's obviously not easy to win that trophy. I think in the east you'll have Chicago, Miami and the Pacers to contend with. In the west the Clippers, Grizzlies and Spurs. I think Wolves+Kings will blow up in next couple years too. This is how the league has always been..... the great teams get old and fall and the young, talented teams rise.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #25
iDunk
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Your saying that the Mavericks had a low post scorer last year?

Do you ****ing watch basketball moron.

Every point Tyson Chandler scored was a wide open pass or alley-oop.

How is that any different then what Perkins does,

You are the dumbest poster I've ever spoken to.

Chandler averaged 8 POINTS IN THE PLAYOFFS LAST YEAR. HOW IS THAT A LOW POST SCORER IN YOUR RETARDED MIND?

* I'm pretty mad today so I don't have time for retarded people such as yourself who claim that Tyson Chandler is a low post scorer despite not even averaging 10 points a game

I'm just going to put you on ignore since you are clearly the dumbest ****ing person that I have ever spoken to. I mean show some intelligence. Debating with me and saying that Chandler is a low post scorer is the dumbest statement that I have ever heard regarding the NBA.
Tyson Chandler is a much better finisher than Perkins. Perkins has no lift at all & he sucks at everything except maybe intimidating the refs & some players.
iDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #26
KG215
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
I think you guys have a good shot for 2 in the next 10 years. Sounds low to a Thunder fan but it's obviously not easy to win that trophy. I think in the east you'll have Chicago, Miami and the Pacers to contend with. In the west the Clippers, Grizzlies and Spurs. I think Wolves+Kings will blow up in next couple years too. This is how the league has always been..... the great teams get old and fall and the young, talented teams rise.

The Clippers worry me the most if they lock up CP3 long term. Memphis, too, but Z-Bo is already 30 so he's not going to drastically improve. And something is just off about that whole team. They should be a legit contender but something isn't working. As long as VDN is the Clippers coach, though, I won't be particularly worried about them either.

And the Lakers will figure something out sooner or later. Even after Kobe gets too old or retires, something good will happen to them. Every time it looks like they'er going to go into a long stretch of mediocrity God reaches down and gives them a Shaq or Gail Goodrich signing as a vet FA with another team, forcing that team to compensate them with a draft pick, which turns into #1 overall and Magic Johnson. No matter how inevitable it may seem, they always find a way to stay more than relevant.

Last edited by KG215 : 05-26-2012 at 01:08 PM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #27
ganja0710
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
The Clippers worry me the most if they lock up CP3 long term. Memphis, too, but Z-Bo is already 30 so he's not going to drastically improve. And something is just off about that whole team. They should be a legit contender but something isn't working. As long as VDN is the Clippers coach, though, I won't be particularly worried about them either.
So are you like a Boston and OKC fan? Or just a KG fan? Just wondering because of your screenname.
ganja0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #28
HurricaneKid
College superstar

Quote:
You f.cking idiot.

Dirk is a low-post scorer and averaged 27 ppg in 2011 playoffs. Dirk is one of the biggest threads in the low-post.

There is an idiot on this point and it ain't him. Here are Dirk's shot splits for 2011-2012:

At rim (0-3ft): 128
3-9 feet: 109
10-15 feet: 334
16-23 feet: 322
3 pters: 218

So he has taken almost as many 3s (218) as he has shots 0-9 ft (237). Thats a 1:1.08 ratio of 3s to post shots. And had >80% of his shots outside of 10 ft.

Lets look at Bynum:

At Rim: 451
3-9 feet: 404
10-15 ft: 65
16-23: 14
3 pters: 5

Now THAT is a low post player. We REMEMBER his 3pt att. Compared to Dirk's 1:1.08 ratio, Bynum has a 1:171 ratio. And 855/939 or 91% of his shots are taken within 10 feet.

You seem to think that because Dirk is 7 ft he is a PF. Or that because he plays a 4 defensively he is a low post player. HE ISN'T.
HurricaneKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #29
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
There is an idiot on this point and it ain't him. Here are Dirk's shot splits for 2011-2012:

At rim (0-3ft): 128
3-9 feet: 109
10-15 feet: 334
16-23 feet: 322
3 pters: 218

So he has taken almost as many 3s (218) as he has shots 0-9 ft (237). Thats a 1:1.08 ratio of 3s to post shots. And had >80% of his shots outside of 10 ft.

Lets look at Bynum:

At Rim: 451
3-9 feet: 404
10-15 ft: 65
16-23: 14
3 pters: 5

Now THAT is a low post player. We REMEMBER his 3pt att. Compared to Dirk's 1:1.08 ratio, Bynum has a 1:171 ratio. And 855/939 or 91% of his shots are taken within 10 feet.

You seem to think that because Dirk is 7 ft he is a PF. Or that because he plays a 4 defensively he is a low post player. HE ISN'T.

Being low post capable is the important thing, not the volume. If Dirk is matched up with smaller players he will ALWAYS post up. Not to mention if Carlisle says hey Dirk go get us some buckets in the low post... he's very deadly and capable from there with the face up game.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #30
I<3NBA
NBA sixth man of the year

they're going to be contenders every year as long as they keep this core.
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: