Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #16
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Re: More Entertaining: Peak MJ (1991) v.s.

^
Related to that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF0-JmUNQs0
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #17
K Xerxes
Greatest

Surely the better peak to choose for Lebron is 09? Athletic peak, as opposed to mentality peak in 2012 was more entertaining IMO.

Don't really remember Jordan's peak live, only have vivid memories of 96 onwards where he was still great but he slowed down then.

Kobe's peak is hard to measure. When he is in the zone for a few games (not just a few minutes), is there anyone like him? Dude would rain shots from anywhere on the court however many people on him. It was something truly unique to watch, and those 50 and 60 point consecutive games were spectacular.

Anyway Jordan>>>
K Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #18
TheMarkMadsen
15x all nba legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
AI scoring 33 a game.....

Not the anomaly that you're insinuating it to be considering AI averaged 30+ three times prior to 06.
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #19
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

And Kobe put up 30 before 06. But clearly that few years was different.

AI had lost a step and was having 34-35ppg months. He was taking 3 less shots a game to score 3 more than his career high as a slightly declined player.

3 people averaged above 31ppg. That had not happened since the top 3 scorers were Wilt, West, and Oscar in the 60s. Wade was 5th in ppg over 27 a night. The 10th leading scorer was over 25 a game. That only happened 2 other times in the NBAs 70 year history. Once 25 years ago and once 45 years ago.

In 04 Paul Pierce was 5th in scoring at just under 23 a game. Peja was second at 24. Kobe, Pierce, Baron Davis, Peja, and Kg all just jumbled up between 23 and 24ppg.

Couple years later Pierces 27 a game has him out of the top 5.

All that didnt happen by chance. The NBA decided to open up the game. They put the changes in starting in 04/05 and didnt see enough change....they asked the refs to push it even more in the 05/06 preseason and it bled over into the season.

Ai put up 34ppg on 46% shooting for the first 30 games. 05 and 06 Iverson looked back in his peak right after people had started to question how much longer he could go.

Couple of years there.....a swingmans paradise.

I dont think 03 Kobe would have had a problem at all.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #20
TheMarkMadsen
15x all nba legend

Not sure what that has to do with Iverson though

Sounds like you're insinuating Iverson was only putting up those scoring numbers due to the rule change.. You're talking like he was breaking down as only did so well in 06 90% due to the rule change..

He led the league in scoring in 05, not exactly signs of somebody who is breaking down. Led the league in scoring in 01 & 02 also so it's not like he couldn't do it without the new rules.

He might not have been as quick as he was in his prime, but he was still quicker than 95% of the league from 05-07, he eventually fell off quick but that's what happens when you are 5'10 & 33/34 years old trying to rely on your quickness in the nba.

Sounds like you're really trying to downplay Iverson here
Old 09-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #21
Prometheus
for your health

MJ vs. Kobe would be a lot more fun to watch than MJ vs. LBJ...

Hell, Kobe is just more fun to watch than LeBron, period.

But yeah, Jordan vs. Kobe is honestly the single matchup that I would rather witness than any other matchup of any two humans in basketball... ever. '91 MJ vs. '06 Kobe... it would complete me.

And Jordan would win.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #22
TheMarkMadsen
15x all nba legend

Last edited by TheMarkMadsen : 09-29-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #23
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
Not sure what that has to do with Iverson though

Sounds like you're insinuating Iverson was only putting up those scoring numbers due to the rule change.. You're talking like he was breaking down as only did so well in 06 90% due to the rule change..

He led the league in scoring in 05, not exactly signs of somebody who is breaking down. Led the league in scoring in 01 & 02 also so it's not like he couldn't do it without the new rules.

He might not have been as quick as he was in his prime, but he was still quicker than 95% of the league from 05-07, he eventually fell off quick but that's what happens when you are 5'10 & 33/34 years old trying to rely on your quickness in the nba.

Sounds like you're really trying to downplay Iverson here

Nobody is trying to downplay Iverson. Ive been defending him here for over 10 years.........

But fact is...he performed at his peak level or beyond it while he was declining...because he like dozens of other guards was helped by rule changes.

I was here in 02...and 03..and 04. People were writing him off saying he was losing a step getting so beaten up. They change the rules....

His scoring jumps 3-4 ppg first year of the changes(05)...then goes 2-3 more the next. He went from 27 a game....to getting older and slowing down a little...dropping 33.

It isnt by chance AI, Kobe, Arenas, Lebron, Redd, Ray Allen, Pierce, and so on peaked scoring wise at the same time. I only wish Tmac has been his healthy Orlando self for those couple years.

Guys didnt just...become better scorers for 2 years.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #24
Stringer Bell
Local High School Star

Jordan was the most entertaining/exciting to watch out of all of them.

I actually like the younger versions of all 3 of them. Very explosive with their leaping abilit & speed (especially MJ and Lebron). Dunks, layups from different angles, spins, tough fadeaway, etc....and also polished as well, even if not quite as polished as they became later.

Jordan was the most exciting player ever, IMO.

Jordan in 1988 & 1990

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwoWli_rlVU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUFMrdGQ_k8

Kobe in 2001:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkvpnmAk2xU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR3kpKk0mfA

Lebron in 2006 & 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCA9lZNlpY (I love the pass at the 5:15 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHaSiWClteQ
Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: