Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-06-2017, 11:45 PM   #16
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Default Re: military+flying drones

sad. there are countless better ways to earn a pay check than assassinating destitute shepherds on the other side of the planet with remote control bombs.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #17
warriorfan
The Bully

If Op will kill a terorrist faster than a plate of 7 layer nachos....sign him up
warriorfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:17 AM   #18
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan
If Op will kill a terorrist faster than a plate of 7 layer nachos....sign him up
not a big fan of nachos, but if we're talking about carne asada tacos loaded with salsa, then yes, very fast.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:11 AM   #19
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
But but but terrorists are bad people, yet you want to enlist to occupy another country and kill there civilians. Who the terrorist?

Says the Hillary voter. Get off your moral high ground.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #20
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
My best friend works for Boeing and makes like $160k as an instructor for them.

He flew UAVs in Afghanistan.

If I knew then what I knew now...

Not sure if you can even join the reserves as a UAV pilot because some jobs they require you to be active duty. Think the school is like 5 months or something. But before he was out, he was already being offered jobs.

And that kid was borderline retarded.

EDIT: So to answer your question, it's not difficult as long as you can get like ~70 on the ASVAB. But you'll have to check around to see if you can be a reservist and fly UAV's, because I feel like this is one of those jobs where they don't offer reserve status for it.

Either way, if you want to go that route, your far better off going active duty and reaping the benefits after you get out. Go to the Air Force or something... that shit is easy.
i talked to a coworker but it was after end of shift so we didn't have much time to get deep into things, so i'll ask you, how does active duty life work? like, can you have another job at the same time? the army has a drone pilot mos for newbies joining the army as active duty, but it requires 4 years of active duty. i would do active in a heart beat if the pay wasn't garbage, not sure i can go back to living with my parents because the pay is that low. i'm making good money right now, but it's a dead end job that might not exist in 3-4 years.

so i asked this same coworker who's a reservist in the guard and he said the guard has a new MOS that let's you be a drone pilot as a reservist. not sure if you need a bachelors though.

however, air force has UAS sensor operator mos as a reservist available and it's entry level. overseas military contractors pay 13-14k/month for sensor operators according to another ex military coworker.

what would you do uk? reservist or active duty? keep in mind i need a new career. my employer opened the floodgates to new positions/promotions, but people are being rejected left and right. a coworker who commanded a tank crew in afghan was denied a manager position... if he was able to be in charge of a tank crew in a war zone, he could totally manage 15 retards at work. he seems decently smart. anyway, i don't plan on staying here long because there is likely no future for me here.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #21
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
i talked to a coworker but it was after end of shift so we didn't have much time to get deep into things, so i'll ask you, how does active duty life work? like, can you have another job at the same time? the army has a drone pilot mos for newbies joining the army as active duty, but it requires 4 years of active duty. i would do active in a heart beat if the pay wasn't garbage, not sure i can go back to living with my parents because the pay is that low. i'm making good money right now, but it's a dead end job that might not exist in 3-4 years.

If you were active, you wouldn't be living with your parents... you'd be stationed somewhere. Probably in a barracks if your a lowly private, most NCO's live in on-base housing.

Or, get with some buddies and rent a house; living off base gives you a monthly housing stipend (depending on the zip code), so if you rent is $1000 a month, you'd get like $800 or so depending on your rank, but if you and three of your friends all live there, you're basically pocketing that money.

Pretty much any job is going to require an enlistment... they have to get their money's worth out of you because you'll be reaping the benefits later. I was an MP, so I worked a shift ((11pm-7am), and once I was done, that was it. I went back to my room and played Xbox and jacked off.

My buddy was a drone pilot; he worked a normal 8-5 shift (or something close to that) and after that, he went home.

Of course, there will always be stupid shit you have to do after work (clean your room, go to the rifle range, doing company PT) but a job in the military works just like a job in the real world.

So no, you won't be able to have another job, unless you're talking driving for Uber or something. The pay sucks, but the plus side is you don't really spend any money.

Quote:
so i asked this same coworker who's a reservist in the guard and he said the guard has a new MOS that let's you be a drone pilot as a reservist. not sure if you need a bachelors though.

I doubt you need a degree. My buddy's school was... maybe 15 months? Or so. He actually had to sign a 5 year enlistment because the length of his school.

But I know he didn't (and still doesn't) have a degree. Hasn't stopped him from making six figures.

If you can get a job as a reservist that will make the military send you to UAV school for free, I'd say jump all over that.

Quote:
however, air force has UAS sensor operator mos as a reservist available and it's entry level. overseas military contractors pay 13-14k/month for sensor operators according to another ex military coworker.

I have several friends who contract right now, mostly in Kuwait. They make really good ****ing money.

Quote:
what would you do uk? reservist or active duty? keep in mind i need a new career. my employer opened the floodgates to new positions/promotions, but people are being rejected left and right. a coworker who commanded a tank crew in afghan was denied a manager position... if he was able to be in charge of a tank crew in a war zone, he could totally manage 15 retards at work. he seems decently smart. anyway, i don't plan on staying here long because there is likely no future for me here.

Honestly, part of the allure of active duty is the adventure. I was stationed in SC, NC, MO, TX, CA, AZ. I went to Germany for a few days, I stayed in Kyrgyzstan for a few weeks, and obviously went to Afghanistan.

All free.

Honestly active duty life sucks because you'll deal with a lot of bullshit. But once you're out, life is so much easier.

Getting paid to go to school, bought my house with a VA home loan with $0 down. Plus, having 'USMC' on my resume is as good as gold. I've been offered plenty of jobs from local recruiters, but I kinda like my job now.

There are a lot of perks once you're free. During your time in, though... it blows, not gonna lie. If you're going to go reserve, not much in life will change minus your extended periods at your assigned school.

But really its all a matter of perspective.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #22
nathanjizzle
#Trump4Treason

loser, go fly drones and kill babies from the comfort of a station for money. be like UK2K and have the balls to shoot and kill them in the field.

Last edited by nathanjizzle : 12-12-2017 at 09:33 AM.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #23
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Quote:
If you were active, you wouldn't be living with your parents... you'd be stationed somewhere. Probably in a barracks if your a lowly private, most NCO's live in on-base housing.

Or, get with some buddies and rent a house; living off base gives you a monthly housing stipend (depending on the zip code), so if you rent is $1000 a month, you'd get like $800 or so depending on your rank, but if you and three of your friends all live there, you're basically pocketing that money.

Pretty much any job is going to require an enlistment... they have to get their money's worth out of you because you'll be reaping the benefits later. I was an MP, so I worked a shift ((11pm-7am), and once I was done, that was it. I went back to my room and played Xbox and jacked off.

My buddy was a drone pilot; he worked a normal 8-5 shift (or something close to that) and after that, he went home.

Of course, there will always be stupid shit you have to do after work (clean your room, go to the rifle range, doing company PT) but a job in the military works just like a job in the real world.

So no, you won't be able to have another job, unless you're talking driving for Uber or something. The pay sucks, but the plus side is you don't really spend any money.

I doubt you need a degree. My buddy's school was... maybe 15 months? Or so. He actually had to sign a 5 year enlistment because the length of his school.

But I know he didn't (and still doesn't) have a degree. Hasn't stopped him from making six figures.

If you can get a job as a reservist that will make the military send you to UAV school for free, I'd say jump all over that.

I have several friends who contract right now, mostly in Kuwait. They make really good ****ing money.

Honestly, part of the allure of active duty is the adventure. I was stationed in SC, NC, MO, TX, CA, AZ. I went to Germany for a few days, I stayed in Kyrgyzstan for a few weeks, and obviously went to Afghanistan.

All free.

Honestly active duty life sucks because you'll deal with a lot of bullshit. But once you're out, life is so much easier.

Getting paid to go to school, bought my house with a VA home loan with $0 down. Plus, having 'USMC' on my resume is as good as gold. I've been offered plenty of jobs from local recruiters, but I kinda like my job now.

There are a lot of perks once you're free. During your time in, though... it blows, not gonna lie. If you're going to go reserve, not much in life will change minus your extended periods at your assigned school.

But really its all a matter of perspective.
thats basically what i do after work in my current life, rub one out and get on xbox after.

arenít you earning your bachelors too? you ever think of going back as a reservist?

think the reserves are the best course here. when they say you can pick up active orders, does that mean i can to it temporarily and not go permanently active?
Old 12-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #24
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
thats basically what i do after work in my current life, rub one out and get on xbox after.

Isn't that what all guys do?

Quote:
aren’t you earning your bachelors too? you ever think of going back as a reservist?

Yes, I'll be graduating after next semester. Since I have time remaining on my GI Bill, I may go for my Masters as well, since it's essentially free.

And no, once I got out, I said there's no ****ing way I'm going back in. I'm way too anti-authority and smoke way too much weed to ever get back into the military.

Quote:
think the reserves are the best course here. when they say you can pick up active orders, does that mean i can to it temporarily and not go permanently active?

Reservists sometimes get called up for random stuff. A buddy of mine was an infantry reservist, and he got called up to do training in Africa for a few months. I've seen reservists get called up to go on ships as part of MEU's (which is like a dream vacation) just to train.

You do one weekend a month, and then a two week training in the summer.

Rarely (maybe two or three times during your enlistment unless you volunteer) will a reservist get called up for active duty for longer than a few weeks.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #25
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Quote:
Isn't that what all guys do?

Yes, I'll be graduating after next semester. Since I have time remaining on my GI Bill, I may go for my Masters as well, since it's essentially free.

And no, once I got out, I said there's no ****ing way I'm going back in. I'm way too anti-authority and smoke way too much weed to ever get back into the military.

Reservists sometimes get called up for random stuff. A buddy of mine was an infantry reservist, and he got called up to do training in Africa for a few months. I've seen reservists get called up to go on ships as part of MEU's (which is like a dream vacation) just to train.

You do one weekend a month, and then a two week training in the summer.

Rarely (maybe two or three times during your enlistment unless you volunteer) will a reservist get called up for active duty for longer than a few weeks.
nice man, what's your degree in? you'd probably get hired in a heartbeat at uber, our head recruiter is a vet so he has a hard on for making sure we hire as many vets as we can. let me know if you ever need me to forward that resume of yours, not that my word means much to this company, but it'll get your application noticed at the very least.

e-mailed a guard recruiter. RPA Sensor Operator is the position i'm interested in. Even if I don't want to work overseas, border patrol and customs is hiring drone operators and they pay pretty well. with obama out of office, i'm not sure how much longer those military contracts will last.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: