Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 11-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Default WI sun - Tucker

BAck here is Wisconsin we're wondering 4 minutes so far of burn for Tucker.
Any body have the dish on why he isn't getting more burn ?

I would of thought he would of gotten at least 10-15 minutes in the rotation
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Manphibian420
very nice

Default Re: WI sun - Tucker

Because he isn't anywhere near as good as our top 7 (so he isnt going to take any minutes from them) and lacks the experience of the other players who are on a similar level competing for the last spot or two in the rotation. His game is also not a good fit for the system. If he develops a jumper he could get significant minutes but that is a year or two away at best.
I don't think anyone who has followed the Suns the last few years expected to see much if anything of Tucker this year.
Also, I'm sure those back in WI have overrated Tucker a bit as he was a great college player but may very well never make it in the NBA. Can't blame you for loving a guy who has starred locally
Manphibian420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Going only 7 deep , doesn't sound to good to me , if the Suns are relying on an empty bench other than 2 players.

It's ironic the Suns press day when Tucker was acquired and filled a contract , they were so high on his help and paid him not quite 1 mil.

Maybe your right time is on his side , but lack of burn doesn't give any player time to develope.

Any sounds in the breeze sending him down to the development league ?
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
Manphibian420
very nice

Quote:
Going only 7 deep , doesn't sound to good to me , if the Suns are relying on an empty bench other than 2 players.
The Suns don't go 7 deep, they go 8 or 9, but those top 7 are set in stone and are all likely to play 30+ minutes. Not many minutes left for the last couple guys, but playing our great players less to generate extra minutes for the average ones doesn't make sense.

Quote:
It's ironic the Suns press day when Tucker was acquired and filled a contract , they were so high on his help and paid him not quite 1 mil.
The salary for 1st round picks is slotted, the Suns paid him only what they were required to based on his draft position. They didn't say much about him that every team hasn't said about nearly every player they've ever drafted; everyone is optimistic and supportive of their rookies. Most likely the real reason they selected him was they felt he had the maturity and mental toughness to sit on the bench every night and still come out and compete hard in practice without causing any locker room problems. There were some hints this summer that one/some of the bench warmers on last years teams maybe couldn't handle that (Jalen Rose) and started to complain and form cliques.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:38 AM   #5
wally_world
M0derator

i wanna see DJ Strawberry get more minutes... not Top 7... but he's a PG where we have really not much depth... i say he can easily do better than Banks defensively given minutes...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
PFunk
Kids at the park dunk on me

I too am a Wisconsin native, and a huge fan of Alando Tucker. Despite this I'm not surprised to see Tucker not getting much playing time. With the first seven (Stoudamire, Nash, Marion, Hill, Bell, Diaw, and Barbosa) nobody else is going to get significant time on a nightly basis. This isn't a knock on his talent, but more or less his experience. If he were say a big man, maybe he'd get more playing time, but the Suns don't exactly need anymore wing players. Had they not signed Grant Hill, it might be a different story. The Suns simply drafted the best player available at the end of the first round and instead of drafting potential, they went after a solid player who could step in for spot minutes and not make stupid mistakes..
PFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
Manphibian420
very nice

Tucker was indeed sent down to the D-League earlier this week. A good move for him, he should get some significant minutes and shots on a roster where he's suddenly one of the most talented.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: