Local High School Star

Default Pistons Sign DJ Augustin and Caron Butler

That's the word right now according to Marc Stein and Woj. I kind of like these moves. Wonder if this means the end for Siva or Bynum and Datome.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: Pistons Sign DJ Augustin and Caron Butler

I think Augustine is a very solid backup PG in this league. Averaged 15 points and 5 assists primarily as a back up at the Bulls last season. Also connected on 41% three pointers and made nearly 2 per game...

Jennings / Bynum / Siva / Diniwddie / Augustin

Jennings as the starter clearly, Diniwiddie is the long term project, and now Augustin.

Pretty much means 100% goodbye to Siva,

But what now of Bynum? Having 2 back up point guards making 3 mill does not make sense - looking to be part of a trade??....

I think the team would like to find a way to have Dinwiddie off the roster this season. He can rehab in Europe.

Then the choice is waive Siva by the 20th, or trade Bynum.

I have no idea what is going on with this roster right now. I hope SVG is ready to pull some mad scientist act for us, slinging players and trades everywhere. Everything we are doing right now makes no sense to me.

Beyond my scope, over my head.

I actually like the thought of both these players on our roster the more I think about it.

1. Augustin is actually a pretty good player, 15/5 coming off the bench, at nearly 2 threes a game... Real good backup, happy for 3 mill

2. Butler is a VERY good locker room leader. A true profesional and has the praise of all the players and coaching staff he has ever been around. A good role model and mentor for a young team who is a no nonsense kind of guy. He can still play a little too, but it will be what he brings off the court which will be more valuable - a bit like the Billups signing last year..

and DD24 I can just sense you are going to post "these guys will not get us closer to a championship" like you always say lol (no hate as you are often right), I agree - but purely looking at a backup perspective I think they are solid additions that can help out.

Not all moves can be home runs, this is just getting on base kind of move...

NBA lottery pick

Siva was waived today. No surprise there. He's just not a NBA player. I think Augustine is a good backup. The problem is we already had one, so it doesn't make sense. The only thing I can think is trade. Anyway around it we have 3 very good teams in front of us in the division in Indiana, Cleveland, and Chicago. Those teams are built for the next 4-5 years too. Then you have Milwaukee who has Giannis and Jabari Parker, two very good young prospects. Jabari is probably better than any player we have on our team. So sure we've added some shooting this year, but it's going to be a very tough season again. We'll probably have a lottery pick, but not one high enough to make a difference again. I'm just hoping that KCP steps up and starts to play big for us. His development along with Drummond establishing himself as an elite C is what I'm looking forward to this year. Hopefully a big trade can happen, but I don't see anything out there that can get us past those 3 teams ahead of us.

Decent college freshman

SVG said from the start he was looking for a veteran backup PG. He clearly views Bynum as a 3rd PG at most. He's short term depth(especially while Dinwididie rehabs), a possible salary to include in a trade and a guy who will be gone next year when his deal expires. Nothing to see there.

His goal was to add shooting and Augustin is very good in that regard.