Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
WBynumToTheHole
I usually hit open layups

Default Addiction and Alcoholism

anyone else ever had an issue with these psyche diseases? i go to AA about every day. i had 2 months sober and then i got really high and got caught shoplifting a bottle of grapefruit juice, ironically enough.

i used to drink and smoke weed all the time with the occasional pills but then when i lost my job and ran out of money i started shoplifting DXM every day and got addicted to that.

the reason i was stealing grapefruit juice is it hightens the high of dxm. luckily they sent me to the hospital because I drank 3 bottles of cough syrup, instead of taking me to jail. hoping i dont get prohbation and just a fine.

any of you guys go to meetings or ever been to one?

its cool to laugh at this thread its kinna pathetic i was hooked on dxm. just wondering if any of you guys have experience with addiction.
WBynumToTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
tpols
we already won

Default Re: Addiction and Alcoholism

yea man I'm kind of addicted to weed right now. I haven't smoked in two days and I feel really on edge sometimes.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
blondie
Da Mamba Lives 30/5/5

yeh i went to rehab in utah for a year when i was 15 for promiscuity alchoholism and narcotic abuse, they made us do AA there but I realized it was bullshit, I stayed sober for a year without AA, because AA is just a bunch of ex-gangmembers and crack whores crying about their sad lives where I live, also the trust in god bullshit is bullshit.

Now I drink and party and smoke all I want and life is dandy
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
The hardest thing for me with alcohol is drinking in moderation. I can go months without drinking, but I have the damndest time having two or three drinks and just stopping there. It's like once I take that first drink, it becomes my mission to get hammered, otherwise there's no point to it.

I probably am an alcoholic, though I've never received any counseling or gone to any meetings for it.

I have problems controlling how much a drink too. I've worked on it and improves since I got arrested last year (it was actually exactly a year from yesterday lol). I still drink probably 2/3 times a week but have managed to keep my excessive binges down to about once every 2 months or so.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Nowadays I can go weeks without having a drink and really no issues. When I do drink tho I go pedal to the medal and consume enough to black out tho. Kinda by choice tho seeing as I'm like 19.

My like best friend went to rehab for drinking\blow. Came out a child of god. Extremely creepy. He's always updating his FB status with like bible sayings. Joined these teen challenge groups and moved to like another province. Just crazy how rehab can change you when your addicted to a substance. Would never want to end up in a rehab.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
WBynumToTheHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
Nowadays I can go weeks without having a drink and really no issues. When I do drink tho I go pedal to the medal and consume enough to black out tho. Kinda by choice tho seeing as I'm like 19.

My like best friend went to rehab for drinking\blow. Came out a child of god. Extremely creepy. He's always updating his FB status with like bible sayings. Joined these teen challenge groups and moved to like another province. Just crazy how rehab can change you when your addicted to a substance. Would never want to end up in a rehab.

the cool thing about 12 step groups is u dont have to believe in God persay, just a higher power. for instance your higher power could be the groups and support. it could be a fricken cup of coffee until u develop your own concept of a higher power.

i choose to believe in a benevolent spiritual force that speaks to us through our "conscience" or intuition. also in the form of symbols. the faith part is the only thing that makes god real. otherwise u can just have faith in energy itself, for surely in some form it exists.

i dont believe in any real objectivity. i think the objective is just an agreed upon system of data shared by multiple perspectives of the subjective.

the hardest thing is to admit for myself that im powerless over drugs and alcohol. i know im powerless because i end up blacking out, throwing up, and numerous times in the hospital all chasing that high or drunk.

and its never enough. like 12 step says in one of their cliches, 1 is too many and 1000 never enough. i can never find satisfaction with drugs and if i do it only lasts until the high is over.

i started out being interested in hallucinagens and psychedellics trying to find "ego death" or the feeling of oneness, also to pursue some kind of enlightenment. while I do think drugs are one path toward a type of enlightenment, its fleeting and does not last. at least for me.

some people might have profound life changing experiences with mushrooms or ayahuasca or lsd but I think you have to go in with a special mindset to really have a positive relationship with these drugs. it cant be that youre trying to escape something, it has to be that your legitamately trying to look inward.

personally i was trying to escape with drugs. thats why i can never have a positive relationship with them. if you guys are having trouble with drugs (i dont know why alcohol is seperated its a drug too) then only you can say you are truly an addict or alcoholic. 99% of the time it gets worse the more you use. it usually takes repeated "bottoms" or low points to get to a place where one could admit they need to do something about their problem.

for me personally, I have never been able to stay clean on my own. the support and friendship of fellow addicts/alcoholics is what I need to be reminded of my "disease" and stay on the right path.

it didnt work last time because i stopped going to meetings and I never got a sponsor. a sponsor is key to keep you accountable and go through the steps with me.

the steps are seperated in to three groups
surrender (1-3)
reconciliation? (4-9)
guidence (10-12)

they contain psych principles such as introspection and even though there is a very low recovery rate with no relapses I've seen proof that they work for the people who really want it, not those who simply need it.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
Riddler
Step 11

I've had some problems with alcohol the past 5 years...

AA didn't work so I just decided to get on a medication called antabuse.

basically if I drink I get violently sick.... So I no longer have the temptation to drink.

I'll be on this medication for several months so I'll see how it goes when I no longer take it.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBynumToTheHole
the cool thing about 12 step groups is u dont have to believe in God persay, just a higher power. for instance your higher power could be the groups and support. it could be a fricken cup of coffee until u develop your own concept of a higher power.

i choose to believe in a benevolent spiritual force that speaks to us through our "conscience" or intuition. also in the form of symbols. the faith part is the only thing that makes god real. otherwise u can just have faith in energy itself, for surely in some form it exists.

i dont believe in any real objectivity. i think the objective is just an agreed upon system of data shared by multiple perspectives of the subjective.

the hardest thing is to admit for myself that im powerless over drugs and alcohol. i know im powerless because i end up blacking out, throwing up, and numerous times in the hospital all chasing that high or drunk.

and its never enough. like 12 step says in one of their cliches, 1 is too many and 1000 never enough. i can never find satisfaction with drugs and if i do it only lasts until the high is over.

i started out being interested in hallucinagens and psychedellics trying to find "ego death" or the feeling of oneness, also to pursue some kind of enlightenment. while I do think drugs are one path toward a type of enlightenment, its fleeting and does not last. at least for me.

some people might have profound life changing experiences with mushrooms or ayahuasca or lsd but I think you have to go in with a special mindset to really have a positive relationship with these drugs. it cant be that youre trying to escape something, it has to be that your legitamately trying to look inward.

personally i was trying to escape with drugs. thats why i can never have a positive relationship with them. if you guys are having trouble with drugs (i dont know why alcohol is seperated its a drug too) then only you can say you are truly an addict or alcoholic. 99% of the time it gets worse the more you use. it usually takes repeated "bottoms" or low points to get to a place where one could admit they need to do something about their problem.

for me personally, I have never been able to stay clean on my own. the support and friendship of fellow addicts/alcoholics is what I need to be reminded of my "disease" and stay on the right path.

it didnt work last time because i stopped going to meetings and I never got a sponsor. a sponsor is key to keep you accountable and go through the steps with me.

the steps are seperated in to three groups
surrender (1-3)
reconciliation? (4-9)
guidence (10-12)

they contain psych principles such as introspection and even though there is a very low recovery rate with no relapses I've seen proof that they work for the people who really want it, not those who simply need it.
I wish you luck. It sounds like you're coming to terms with some of your drug related issues and I think that's a huge step. I've heard it can be mighty hard to overcome addiction, but still possible all the same for those who strive.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a drug and alcohol free family. I haven't really messed with either just because I felt I had a great life without and it was not worth the risk. Cliche and maybe cheesy, but it really is super possible to have a great time (yes, even in college) without the drinking and the drugs.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
jbot
Future D1 Dad

does alcoholism/substance abuse run in your family? my wife's family has a long history of drug abuse and she used to be addicted to vicotin/pain pills.

if the AA classes work for u, keep going. i don't really have any useful advice to give since i haven't drank or smoked weed since i was a teen.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
WBynumToTheHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
does alcoholism/substance abuse run in your family? my wife's family has a long history of drug abuse and she used to be addicted to vicotin/pain pills.

if the AA classes work for u, keep going. i don't really have any useful advice to give since i haven't drank or smoked weed since i was a teen.

my dad was a pothead and lost visitation because of it, so he quit and has been drug free 12 years. he brought me to my first meeting.
my grandfather drank himself to death. other than that nobody else comes to mind.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBynumToTheHole
my dad was a pothead and lost visitation because of it, so he quit and has been drug free 12 years. he brought me to my first meeting.
my grandfather drank himself to death. other than that nobody else comes to mind.
well, maybe it runs in your dad's side of the family then. glad to hear your dad got himself together also.

are these AA meetings free to attend or do u have to pay?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot

Pretty sure it runs in the family, my family has a pretty lengthy history of it.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan

people like that always come off to me like they traded one drug for another.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #14
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
yeah, they fill one void in their life for another one.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
tpols
we already won

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
Nothing wrong with that. It's easily bettering their lives and giving them peace.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: