Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default Anyone got any hillbilly stories?

I'm not from the U.S., but find them very interesting. Are there really a lot of 'hidden' towns in the U.S. or maybe near the appalachian mountains where you can find them? Anyone here do roadtrips or live around those parts and have any encounters with them?

Default Re: Anyone got any hillbilly stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerang
    I'm not from the U.S., but find them very interesting. Are there really a lot of 'hidden' towns in the U.S. or maybe near the appalachian mountains where you can find them? Anyone here do roadtrips or live around those parts and have any encounters with them?

There are hicks everywhere but true hillbillies live in, well, the hills. Tennessee, West Virginia and Arkansas are good places to find them.

Decent college freshman

Probably not like you would imagine from the movies. Hicks today live in trailer parks and wear pajamas while they shop at Wal Mart.

Here's a hillbilly story.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC

Here's a hillbilly story.

Is that about Jesco? He's legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Is that about Jesco? He's legendary.
    Yeah and his family.

Also there's this

Some folks will never eat a skunk,
    But then again some folk'll
    like Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel.

I spent two and a half years deep inside Eastern Kentucky only a few miles from the W. Virginia border. Scary stuff.

The whole country is full them. You just need to go a few miles outside the urban cores, and there they are.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

I spent some time in southern Ohio. What a friggen sh*thole. I felt like I was transported back in time where nobody believes in evolution and xenophobia is super high.

Certified ISHiot.

One day my brother and I decided to drive from Maine to Maryland for no real reason. On the way home we got lost in rural Pennsylvania. We stopped at a highway rest stop to look at a map that they had on the wall, and he mentioned something about being hungry and how lame it was that the rest stop's vending machine was empty. At that moment this lazy-eyed janitor pops up from around the corner and says, "there's some real food 'round here." So we were like, "umm.... okay?" He says, "Wendy's. Micky D's. Arby's. TGI Friday's." So my brother said, "....where?" He explains, "right off the next exit, 'cross the street from the Wal Mart's. Just go through three stop lights." "Thanks," we said, and he continued, "Yep, through three stop lights. THREE stop lights (he said 'three stop lights' like 15 times as we were leaving)."

His accent was amazing. Just total redneck. It was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4
    One day my brother and I decided to drive from Maine to Maryland for no real reason.
    That's a deep drive. To me driving through New Hampshire always felt like eternity. Idk why lol

NBA Superstar

Nothing major or crazy at all, but one time my family stopped at a gas station in Kentucky on our way back up to Michigan. The gas station was of note because it appeared to have a play area at the front, like something you used to see in McDonalds. My then 13 year old brother and I were chatting about the oddity of a playground within a gas station as we entered the station itself and he wrapped things up with, "Ohhhhh Kentucky..."

Just then, a mannish, possibly facial haired, thick, female gas clerk in flannel barked, "What about Kentucky?!?" We all froze, I kind of thought my brother was about to have a shotty pulled on him. Then that dude backtracked like no one I'd ever seen backtrack before. Wearing a maize and blue Michigan long sleeve tee, he went on this reflexive diatribe like, "Oh I love Kentucky I think it's way better than Michigan I love how nice it is and how it's got the big hills and I just like it alot." Not bad for a 12 year old. I trust we escaped with our lives that day.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 01-10-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

West Virginia and Tenn. are gold mines for finding hillbillies. I went to a Bob Evans in West Virginia one time and the waitress couldn't have had more than 3 teeth in her mouth. Southern Ohio is also really bad. It doesn't have the hills like West Virginia, but its still pretty rough. Watch the movie Gummo. Those are what the real hillbillies are like....

The farthest south I've been is Virginia beach, and it was just a bunch of tourists from the North lol. I never wandered off the path into the little towns/ rest stops