Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #31
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Re: Ira Newble on his way to LakerLand? Is it official?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi
Consistently slow, turnovers, and not nailing easy baskets (many times)

He averages 1.38 turnovers a game while also averaging 3 assists a game which gives him a ratio slightly bigger than 2 which is pretty good so that isnt a bad thing. Several players on the team turn it over in smaller minutes. Walton is playing 23 minutes a game and averaging less than 2. Dont complain lol.

Edit: Wow Im reading too much of gts' style of posting. SAVE ME BEFORE I BECOME A STATFREAK! loool
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #32
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Edit: Wow Im reading too much of gts' style of posting. SAVE ME BEFORE I BECOME A STATFREAK! loool

I'm pretty sure a statfreak = statman + lakerfreak's mutant internet offspring. No gts involved whatsoever.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #33
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
He averages 1.38 turnovers a game while also averaging 3 assists a game which gives him a ratio slightly bigger than 2 which is pretty good so that isnt a bad thing. Several players on the team turn it over in smaller minutes. Walton is playing 23 minutes a game and averaging less than 2. Dont complain lol.

you are learning young grasshopper

stats don't tell the whole story but they at least seperate the fiction from non fiction, and point you down the right path to true clarity

now snatch the pebble from my hand...lol
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #34
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
you are learning young grasshopper

stats don't tell the whole story but they at least seperate the fiction from non fiction, and point you down the right path to true clarity

now snatch the pebble from my hand...lol

Lol I will attempt to snatch it with this post...

People all season long have been going off about how Walton has been underachieving. Is that even the case?
I noticed that after the season opener against the rockets, when luke scored in our basket...people were looking for reasons left and right to bash him and its always been in their heads that luke was a disappointment.

As I was looking up his profile, I noticed his 4 ppg Decrease from last season and his rebounding go from 5 to 4 and from 4 to 3 on his assists this season as opposed to last....here is something noone else brought up.

Luke Walton is averaging 10 less minutes per game than he did last season which can contribute to his drop in production

To go along with gts bringing up the injuries of luke and his constant moving around in positions in this offense....I say that he's always been doing his job.

A person that was starting all of last year averaging 33 mpg, 11 ppg, 5 rpg, 4 apg, Is now our 6th man this season averaging much less minutes and is inserted in the lineup at very random times.

With 1 superstar (with a huge ego), an all star, and 2 potential all-stars on this team taking most of the shots, Cut Walton some slack and stop making excuses for this team's losses.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #35
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default A lesson on stats from about a year ago..

I posted this on 3/30/2007 in the main forum because I was getting so irritated with trolls that chose to ignore statistics and how easily they can be manipulated....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pimp

Ok, it is time to call out all you people who like to conveniently use statistics as your basis for bashing or supporting a player. I am sick and tired of some of you continually using statistics alone as a basis for your arguments and then stating these statistics as facts. Its BS! You knoe who some of you are.

Statistics alone cannot be a basis for judging a players value in the league. Now most of you are fairly intelligent people, so stay with me here.

There is a concept of externalities that can bias any statistical analysis. Externalities are outside elements that can directly impact the result of tabulation, yet they are not necessarily measurable or controllable in the resulting statistic. We have all referred to this when making player comparisons, but there are some who tend to forget this when convenient or when they prefer to bash or judge a particular player.

In the NBA, there are many externalities that can impact a player’s statistics, no matter who they are. Here is a short list:
  • Team Owner(s) – Can have an impact by not being willing to spend the money for the right players to make their team a winner. Conversely, they can spend money foolishly and still get the wrong players.

• Team General Manager – If the GM does not know how to assemble the team based on the team’s needs for their offensive/defensive schemes, chemistry, etc., it will impact how one player can be successful statistically.

• Coach and Coaching Staff – Does the coach have the ability to bring the most out of their players given the talent that they have been given by the powers above or by sheer luck? Can they create and offensive/defensive scheme that maximizes a team’s talents?

• Players – Are the players able to grow and improve and deliver to the benefit of the team and foster good chemistry? This can have an impact on any statistical measurement.
So, I have mentioned quite a few things (not all inclusive) that are often outside the control of an individual player’s performance. If the team has crap and you have a star player, chances are that they may not have the best individual statistics to show it.

Furthermore, if you have a very strong team, then perhaps one single player does not have to excel in every aspect of the game, thus their offensive or defensive statistics may be lower. Steve Nash comes to mind when I say that… MVP caliber, but not the “best” player based on many of your statistics that you like to throw around.

Last time I checked, basketball was a team sport, not an individual sport. Success should be measured by the team’s success and not about individual statistics. And the success of a team is measured by many different factors!

The bottom line is that numbers are not always what they may appear to be and do not always tell the truth. There is a story behind every statistical reference made, and it has to be recognized. Arguing based on statistics alone is simply not telling the truth in a given situation!

I could go on, but I think you get my point.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #36
Frank Foley

Default Re: A lesson on stats from about a year ago..

too long; didn't read.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #37
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
too long; didn't read.

haha... fair enough... i was going through a RidonKs moment...

Old 04-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #38
Frank Foley

I was joking. I have absolutely no right to criticize anyone for longwindedness. Ever.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #39
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
I was joking. I have absolutely no right to criticize anyone for longwindedness. Ever.

Honestly, thats the longest post I think I have ever done by far! So, I must have been pretty riled up over the trolls... now I just roll with it much better... I was young then!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:43 AM   #40
Illosophee
I airball my layups

Newble is getting paid $110,000 to play with the Lakers for the rest of the season? Wow... I wish I could be an NBA player who just sits off on the side and really does nothing to help the team win games.
Well, the $110,000 isn't really worth it if you have to miss family time to go around the United States and parts of Canada to face other basketball teams, especially if you aren't expected to play that night and will most likely waste your time, that can be used to spend quality family bonding time, watching your teammates, who get paid ten times the amount you do, play games against teams you can't compete against.
Point: $110,000 isn't enough for an NBA player.
Illosophee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #41
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illosophee
Newble is getting paid $110,000 to play with the Lakers for the rest of the season? Wow... I wish I could be an NBA player who just sits off on the side and really does nothing to help the team win games.
Well, the $110,000 isn't really worth it if you have to miss family time to go around the United States and parts of Canada to face other basketball teams, especially if you aren't expected to play that night and will most likely waste your time, that can be used to spend quality family bonding time, watching your teammates, who get paid ten times the amount you do, play games against teams you can't compete against.
Point: $110,000 isn't enough for an NBA player.

Actually right now, I would bet his value is greater in practice as they need bodies who can play... i wonder if he will get any more game playing time though... should be interesting.

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: