Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Sacramento Kings Forum

Sacramento Kings Forum Sacramento Kings forum - Sacramento Kings message board

Old 10-10-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Default Thomas, Abdur-Rahim have run-in at practice(bee article)

Quote:
Kings notes: Thomas, Abdur-Rahim have run-in at practice
By Joe Davidson - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PDT Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C3

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)

Eric Musselman has insisted on nonstop activity in every drill and scrimmage this training camp.

The Kings' new coach said he has received maximum effort, including some spillover emotion Monday afternoon between two power forwards fighting -- almost literally -- for the starting job.

Kenny Thomas and Shareef Abdur-Rahim nearly traded blows at the end of a scrimmage, though cooler heads quickly prevailed. No one made much of it, offering reminders that spirited competition is common in camp.

"They've been battling it out, two guys competing," Musselman said, betraying no concern about the chest-bumping. "You coach in the CBA long enough ... that was nothing."

If it were a pay-per-view bout, the public would have howled to get its money back. The veterans have had run-ins before, including barking at each other at the end of a regular-season game last season. Both players downplayed it then.

Thomas said Monday's incident was merely "a heat-of-the-moment" thing.

"I'm very competitive, and I'm just playing hard," he said. "We're all trying to establish ourselves. It ain't nothing personal."

Abdur-Rahim was not present to comment.

Ron Artest, who admitted getting into his fair share of practice scrums over the years, said during a light moment that Monday's tussle was "weak."

"You gotta do some of that in practice every once in a while," Artest said of player dust-ups. "Otherwise, you're not going hard enough."

Bibby the stopper? -- Mike Bibby has stepped up his defense since the start of camp, and everyone is taking notice.

"He's done a really good job," Musselman said. "He's shown a willingness to pick up the ball earlier in the backcourt defensively. We want to continue to reinforce that he has the ability to do that, to remind him. He's been doing it all camp."

Reserve guard Jason Hart said Bibby looks leaner and quicker. The Kings' veteran floor leader shed 15 pounds in the offseason.

"Mike Bibby really looks good, really good," Hart said. "He looks like the high school Mike -- thin, slim, quicker. He used to be top-heavy. And he liked to look big in the chest and all."

Hart, a veteran of five NBA seasons, said bulk and power aren't the key to this sport.

"Look at Thomas," Hart said. "He's not too defined muscle-wise, but he's strong as an ox, and he's quick."

Big on Miller -- At Golden State, Musselman had a pretty fair big-man shooter in Troy Murphy. But Musselman said he believes he has a unique big-man talent with the Kings in Brad Miller.

Musselman reminds himself of that every time he sees his 7-foot center fire an assist or hit an 18-footer or a three-pointer.

"He's got guard-shooting ability and guard-passing ability," Musselman said. "He's special because of his size and shooting. Brad's passing is off the charts. I would say he's the best passing center in the NBA."

Practice what they preach -- During his two seasons coaching the Warriors, Musselman often engaged in pickup games with his coaching staff.

Now that the two-a-days are over, he's ready to round up the crew again. Normally, that would mean a lot of pulled muscles and creaky joints for veteran staffs. But the Kings' coaching unit is a youthful lot that works out in the weight room and keeps the flab at bay.

"We're all in shape," Musselman said, grinning. "We'd better be the best-conditioned staff in the league."

About the writer:
The Bee's Joe Davidson can be reached at jdavidson@sacbee.com.
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/36497.html
Wow. I've been saying that one of these two will need to be traded because they hate eachother, and unfortunetly Kenny will be much harder to trade than Shareef. I'm starting to get worried that whoever gets benched may turn into a lockerroom cancer.

On another note, hearing that Mike is playing good D is GREAT news. If he starts D'ing up people and gets to show off his passing game more I'd say he has a shot at best true point guard in the league.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

They were probably arguing about who is going to start at the 4.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #3
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersDynasty
They were probably arguing about who is going to start at the 4.
Yeah, they've been fighting for the position all of training camp. I read in the bee, that Kenny Thomas has gotten rid of that hitch in his shot. If thats true, he should get the starting role and SAR should get 30 min off the bench every night because he can create against the second unit.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #4
Buck
I airball my layups

The controversy between Shareef and Thomas has been brewing for a long time. I believe each of them think that they should be the starter at PF and and a truce is not likely. When they were with other teams (can't remember when or where) they engaged in a fist fight. Thomas may state that it isn't personal but it really is. This conflict, if allowed to continue, will be detrimental to the team. IMO Shareef is the better all-around player, thus Thomas needs to be traded as soon as possible.
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
Targus™
Good college starter

yeah i saw that fight a few years ago between them. keep shareef, trade kenny thomas asap, but then there goes 9 rebounds per game..
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
DETON8ER
Can barely lace up my sneakers

The fight occured when Reef was with the Hawks and Thomas was with the rockets...
DETON8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus™
yeah i saw that fight a few years ago between them. keep shareef, trade kenny thomas asap, but then there goes 9 rebounds per game..
thomas is haard to trade
Old 10-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #8
Targus™
Good college starter

doesnt mean it cant or wont happen.
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #9
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
The controversy between Shareef and Thomas has been brewing for a long time. I believe each of them think that they should be the starter at PF and and a truce is not likely. When they were with other teams (can't remember when or where) they engaged in a fist fight. Thomas may state that it isn't personal but it really is. This conflict, if allowed to continue, will be detrimental to the team. IMO Shareef is the better all-around player, thus Thomas needs to be traded as soon as possible.

SAR is older than KT, and has had injury problems, and a good PF that is versatile like SAR would be appealing to a lot of teams. Trade SAR.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #10
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
SAR is older than KT, and has had injury problems, and a good PF that is versatile like SAR would be appealing to a lot of teams. Trade SAR.

Yeah I would have to agree with this. We will probably get a much better player back for SAR than we would for Kenny. Either way though, one of them has to go.

edit: Targus, it does mean it's A LOT harder to though.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:04 AM   #11
Buck
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime

Abdur- Rahim and Thomas are much alike skill-wise. They each have five yr. contracts and we need to trade one of these players for a player with an expiring contract. (We don't have to get equal value in return.) I believe a team somewhere will have injuries sometime prior to the trading deadline and will be looking for a PF. I like Shareef primarily for two reasons--he can play with his back to the basket and has good post-up moves.

Now, about Kenny, and some of this is simply my opinion. 1. Kenny is an undersized PW who has a lot of trouble covering most power forwards in the NBA. 2. He lobbies to be a starter and to get playing time--Adelman gave in to Kenny's whims. Already Kenny has visited Coach Musselman at home and I'm speculating that the visit included talking about how Kenny would be involved in the offensive scheme. 3. On offense, Kenny seems to "free lance" too much and needs to share the ball more. 4. Kenny has some problems relating to teammates in a positive way--two incidents already during the first wk. of training camp.

Stats: Thomas - 9.1 PPG 7.5 RPG

Abdur- Rahim - 12.3 PPG 5.0 RPG
Old 10-11-2006, 04:58 AM   #12
BradMiller52
Kings fan

The only Kenny incident I remember hearing about is the one where he got into it with Reef.

We need more than an expiring contract back, I mean you can't just throw 10 points/10 rebounds out the window. If we're trading one of them we might as well get something we need back(like a shotblocker or somethin), the one who's most likely to get that in a trade is Shareef IMO, unless Kenny plays really well in Eric's system as a starter and averages somethin like 12/12(actually I think this is a possibility, but then we're throwing 12 rebounds/game out the window-even worse).
Old 10-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #13
Buck
I airball my layups

Default Team Chemistry Would Be Better With Shareef

I'm thinking "future" here--next year. We need the cap space and the roster space. All of my bets are on the next free agency and draft. It may be possible to package someone else with Kenny or Shareef and get a "big," but it would be a "very average big" who would not make us that much better.

The reason I prefer trading Kenny for a player w/expiring contract is that I would rather have that $8m to apply toward a quality free agency rather than having it tied up in another mediocre 4 or 5.

Both Kenny and Shareef have the potential to get 10 and 10. I agree w/Charles Barkely--"Any big man should be able to get l0 rebounds."

Again, I think Shareef is a better team-mate and should be retained.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #14
Buck
I airball my layups

Default Kenny Thomas--Hard To Trade

[quote=bigboi_baller]thomas is haard to trade[/QUOT

Exactly--due to being undersized at PF, $40 Mil five year contract, poor defense, and selfish attitude. (Are there any more Isiah Thomas type GMs around????)

I will admit that Kenny is a good, all around athlete though, but is too small to play in the front court and can't shoot well enough to play in the back court.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #15
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Exactly--due to being undersized at PF, $40 Mil five year contract, poor defense, and selfish attitude. (Are there any more Isiah Thomas type GMs around????)
kevin mchale
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: