Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 03-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
adrenalize
I airball my layups

Default Time to look ahead....

Well, we are not going to the playoffs. Not a suprise but still a GREAT year! Roy, Aldrige and Sergio are going to be AMAZING!!! So, what is in store for the off season and the draft? What does everyone think we should do?

Just a little FYI, at the time of this post the Blazers are 4-1 without Randolph in the lineup this year. Went 3-0 when he went on leave right after we had a 4 game loosing streak. Next game after his return, we loose. Hmmmmm?? We play better basketball without him, plain and simple.

Anyway, this off season we really need to trade Randolph and Magloire. Draft a PF or Center and pick up a really good young vetran PF or Center. We are set at all positions aside from those.

PG's: Jack/Rodrigues (great duo, no others needed. Hear we may get Blake back! That would make for one of the best PG group in the league)

SG's: Roy/Webster (again, looks to be one of the best back courts in the league as long as Webster improves his consistency. Also, Webster looks to be develping into a more aggresive player, not soley a shooter)

SF's: Outlaw/Miles/Udoka (If Outlaw can get starters minutes consistantly, I believe he can be a really good player and a real threat. He is soo inconsistent because he never knows when or if he is going into the game. I have a feeling about Miles, I can actually see him coming back next year and performing like he did early last season. And lastly, Ime is a great defensive presence off the bench, but he just isnt a starter.)

PF's: Randolph/Aldridge/Outlaw (Wont comment on Randolph because I want him gone. Aldrdge is gonna be a superstar and this is probably his future position. I like Outlaw at PF better than at SF, he has had his best games when he playes here, seems to get lost easier at SF.)

C's: Aldridge/Pryz (We all know Aldridge is gonna be special and I think he actually playes better at center, put 20 lbs on him in the off season and he will dominate. Pryz is a great defender and used to be able to give us some scoring on occasion. Dotn know what happend this year exactly, maybe because of sharing minutes with Magloire and the injury he just never got into any kind of groove. Add the fact that Randolph is the only one allowed to take shots in the post.)

NEEDS:

Power Forward: We need a PF to fill in When Aldridge playes Center and Outlaw is at PF. Or just to come off the bench for either. Also, if Outlaw just never really develops or takes over the SF postion.

Center: We have Pryz and I really like Adridge here, but if Aldridge playes PF, we really need another Center to back up Pryz or become our new starter if we get someone like Greg Oden. Magloire and LaFrenz will be gone.

We have alot of Multi-role guys, I would make my starters for next year, based on what we have right now:

PG: Rodrigues (backup: Jack)
SG: Roy (Webster/Jones)
SF: Webster (Outlaw/Miles)
PF: Outlaw (Aldridge/??)
C: Aldridge (Pryzbilla/??)

Last edited by adrenalize : 03-27-2007 at 07:28 AM.
adrenalize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
Nygher
Banned

Default Re: Time to look ahead....

Thank God you are not the next general manager of the Blazers. Why would you trade Zach? So what if they went 4-1 without him? LaMarcus will not put up the same numbers that Zach has consistantly as a starter. Plus if you lose Zach then you lose a great half court player. Sure, people say Zach doesn't fit Nate's system...but really, he makes Nate's system. He is the low post/half court pressance that the Blazers need.

I could agree with you if the Blazers traded Jarrett Jack, but I don't see signs of that unless a real good package offer came along because Nate and the other starters are in love with the way Jarrett plays.

And the Blazers biggest concern, which I think they will address in the draft by picking up Green out of Georgetown, is small forward. Darius Miles, if he isn't injured, will probably start, but only to up his stock to get traded. There is also some good free agent SF vets like Grant Hill, Rashard Lewis and Mo Pete

Personally I'd like to see the Blazers draft Green in the first round, bring over the Brittish guy that they drafted last season at center and sign either Hill or Lewis

Imagine the second string if that happened

PG - Spanish Chocolate
SG - Fred Jones
SF - Green
PF - Rashard Lewis
C - LaMarcus Aldridge

They would transform from a plotting half court team like the Spurs into a fast break team like the Suns (Rashard Lewis would start at SF and would be plugged in at PF for the super fast break squad...for the real second string you'd have Aldridge at the 4 and the Britt at the 5.)

Last thing. Jamaal Magloire is a free agent after the season so they will probably let him walk unless they want to do a double sign and trade, Magloire for Morris Peterson since Mo Pete wants out and Magloire wants to play in Toronto.
Nygher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
adrenalize
I airball my layups

Why why why do are people still fooled about Zacks value and position on this team. Randolph is a selfish player (teammates have actually said he refuses to clear out the lane for them), demands the ball every posession, takes bad shots, bad passes, gets more turnovers than assists regularly and plays ZERO defense. Aldridge (a ROOKIE) puts up comperable pts and rebs AND hits the midrange jumper better, doesnt get blocked, is very ATHLETIC and playes very good defense. Aldridge also has tremendous upside while Randolph has peaked. Aldridge will be an actual superstar for this team along with Roy, unlike Randolph that puts up allstar offensive numbers but actually hurts the overall effectiveness of the team. OH YEAH, Randolph also consistently has issues off the court, his latest being at a strip club in Portland 2 days after he was given berevement leave to go to Indy for his girlfriends, cousins funeral. Intead of being with the team and helping them win, he was hanging out being his usual selfish self. TIME TO GO!!

However, I do agree very much about picking up Green, would be a tremendous SF for us. Especially if Webster never develops like I hope he eventually will and Miles doesnt come back with a MUCH better attitude and perform like we saw earlier last year.

Modified Starters:

PG: Rodrigues
SG: Roy
SF: Green
PF: Aldridge
C: Pryz

Second Unit:

PG: Jack
SG: Webster
SF: Miles
PF: Outlaw
C: Free Agent (or the Brit you mentioned)

Last edited by adrenalize : 03-30-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Nygher
Banned

Lol

Quote:
demands the ball every posession, takes bad shots, bad passes, gets more turnovers than assists regularly and plays ZERO defense

He demands the ball because the offense RUNS THROUGH HIM because he is the NUMBER ONE SCORING THREAT on the team...Lol

Bad shots? You mean when the shot clock is down to five and no one is open so he takes the 15 foot fade away instead of throwing it away and giving up fast break points?

More turnovers than assists? Who cares...if he could pass then he'd be playing point guard.

There is a difference between playing Zero defense and not even trying to develope your skills at it like err...Steve Nash and trying to get better at defense but still not finding the nitch to it like Z-Bo. Zach trys to play defense but its hard to play D when your 2" shorter than the rest of the PFs in the NBA and you don't got hops.

Similar numbers between LaMarcus and Zach?! LOL

LaMarcus is averaging 9 points and 5 boards in 22 minutes a game

Zach is averaging 22 points, 10 boards in 35 minutes a game...not to mention that LaMarcus is still inconsistant while Zach brings the same game 8 out of 10 nights
Old 04-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
adrenalize
I airball my layups

REAL comparison......

If you take Randolphs 35 mins per game averages and compare them to Aldridge's when he playes at least 30 mins a game, this is what it looks like......

Randolph:

Mins: 35
FG%: .46
FT%: .81
Blocks: .2
TO: 3
Rebs: 10
Pts: 24

Aldridge:

Mins: 35
FG%: .56
FT%: .72
Blocks: 2.2
TO: .7
Rebs: 8
Pts: 16

AND Randolph takes an average of 3 more shots per game. So, except for the ppg, their stats are comparable and Aldridges are much more balanced and will only get better. I dont know how you can argue this!!??

Also, you dont see the "hustles back on defense" and "positive influence on the team and City" stats in the box scores.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Nygher
Banned

Or the "inconsistancy"

Find me 6 games in a row where Aldridge put up good numbers

Zach does it night in and night out.

Its a proven fact. Aldridge is nowhere near the low post scorer that Zach is. You replace Zach with LaMarcus and teams will put their double teams on Brandon Roy and I don't know about you, but I'd rather have the double teams in the post with the guys who don't handle the ball the majority of the game.

Another thing you can look at is how many of Aldridge's points come from actually working hard in the paint and how many just come from tip backs and offensive rebounds with dunk put backs?

Zach has to set up in the post...work hard down there with the West's big guys like Duncan, Garnett, Stoudamire and so on to get position then he has to get the ball...get the double or triple team and still make something happen whether its passing it back out to Brandon who will probably reset him up like he's been doing all season or kick it to an open shooter like Ime in the corner or Jarrett cutting to the bucket. Also, LaMarcus puts up his numbers against bench players...what big men bench players are actually good? I'd say...only Antonio McDyess...the rest are pretty much trash in the league...yes he put up 20 and 10 when Zach was out but who was that against? Exactly
Old 04-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
adrenalize
I airball my layups

You keep mentioning consistancy.....Aldridge is a ROOKIE. Your expecting a 21 y/o rookie to be as consistant as a 25 y/o, 6 year vetran?

If Aldridge is everything Randolph is and more RIGHT NOW aside from the consistancy, there will be NO comparison in the next year or two.

Also, as far as the beat and bang down low in the post is concerned, that too will come in time (on the court and in the weight room).

I will miss watching the other 4 players stand around and watch and wait for Randolph to do something with the ball when he gets it.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
Nygher
Banned

Umm...Zach was consistant at Aldridge's age. Randolph is the main reason Rasheed Wallace got traded to Atlanta for Theo Ratliff. Because Randolph was CONSISTANTLY destroying the Mavericks down low in that series where the Blazers almost came back after being down 3-0.

Sure consistancy comes with time, but you can't be so sure. Look at Eddy Curry. He's been in the league and been given the label of Baby Shaq just as long as Zach and Eddy Curry is still inconsistant. What makes you so sure LaMarcus won't be the same?

If LaMarcus proves in a couple years that he can consistanly put up those numbers then I would agree to trade Zach but right now when the Blazers are a key draft pick and a good veteran free agent away from the play offs...why trade one of the reasons you are that close to the play offs (I'm talking about Zach)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: