Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 09-26-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation
Default Dirk Signs Extension

Quote:
The Dallas Mavericks announced today that Mavericks have signed forward Dirk Nowitzki to a contract extension. Per team policy, terms of the deal were undisclosed.
“We are glad to keep Dirk in the Mavericks family for many more years,” said owner Mark Cuban. “His contribution to our success on and off the court has been immeasurable.”
Last season, Nowitzki averaged a career-high 26.6 points a game (which ranked seventh in the NBA), and registered 9.0 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.02 blocks in 38.1 minutes per contest. Nowitzki posted career-highs in field goal percentage (48.0%), 3-point percentage (40.6%) and free throw percentage (90.1%). He finished third in MVP voting and was named to the All-NBA First Team for the second straight season. Over the last six seasons, he joins Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O’Neal and Tim Duncan as the only players to be named to an All-NBA Team each year.
Also in 2005-06, he became the third player to average at least 26.0 points while shooting 90.0% or better from the line (Rick Barry and Larry Bird).
Nowitzki has career averages of 22.0 points, 8.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1.01 steals and 1.1 blocks in 36.6 minutes in 603 games over eight seasons. He has appeared in a team-record five straight All-Star Games and is the Mavericks all-time leader in rebounds and is currently third in scoring.
He has also appeared in 76 postseason games and has averages of 25.7 points, 11.1 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.29 steals and 1.03 blocks in 42.4 minutes. Currently, he is the Mavericks postseason leader in scoring, rebounding and games played.
The Wurzburg , Germany native was selected as the ninth overall pick in the 1998 NBA Draft. His draft rights were traded along with the draft rights to Pat Garrity to Dallas for the draft rights of Robert Traylor on June 24, 1998. The Mavericks re-signed him to a six-year deal on October 22, 2001.

Good to see this happen. Hopefully he will retire a Mav. The NBA needs more guys that play their whole career on one team.

Looks like Dirk is keeping some pretty good company. Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Barry, and Bird. Not bad company at all.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Mav
Good to see this happen. Hopefully he will retire a Mav. The NBA needs more guys that play their whole career on one team.

Looks like Dirk is keeping some pretty good company. Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Barry, and Bird. Not bad company at all.

Are you talking about guys that played out their whole career on one team?

Shaq played on 3 so far.

but yea, congrats on dirks many more years!!
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Are you talking about guys that played out their whole career on one team?

Yep. It was nice to see Reggie do it. These days everyone is going after FA cash or forcing a trade to get out. Right now you have guys like Duncan, Dirk, Pierce, and Kobe with their original team. I know there are others but I haven't mentioned them because they could be moving soon. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Pierce with the others, but I think he would rather remain a Celtic than go elsewhere.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Dirk~!!! Trust the German.

Last edited by Heilige : 09-27-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #5
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputation
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Mav
Yep. It was nice to see Reggie do it. These days everyone is going after FA cash or forcing a trade to get out. Right now you have guys like Duncan, Dirk, Pierce, and Kobe with their original team. I know there are others but I haven't mentioned them because they could be moving soon. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Pierce with the others, but I think he would rather remain a Celtic than go elsewhere.

john stockton
david robinson

you know, i was kinda hoping cuban would have let Dirk walk like he did with Nash and Finley...hey, a guy can dream cant he?
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
Slickshot
I airball my layups

Slickshot has an OK reputation so far

Mavs look like they are going to be a threat for championship for a few more years with Dirk sticking around. And congratz to Reggie and hope others like Duncan, Pierce, etc. also retire with their original team.
Slickshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
you know, i was kinda hoping cuban would have let Dirk walk like he did with Nash and Finley...hey, a guy can dream cant he?

Cuban did let both walk, but it was two entirely different siutations.

Nash was saying he was going to resign and stay with the Mavs. He talked with Cuban and Donnie at the start of the free agent period. Then the next morning the Suns contingent flew in with their offer. Nash told the Mavs to match it or he was gone. Mavs said let's try to work a sign and trade, Nash said no. It's no secret that Nash's agent Bill Duffy doesn't like Cuban. Plus he is also Amare's agent. Almost seems like there were some fishy talks before the fa period began. Nash also had his feelings hurt because the Mavs drafted Devin Harris. Now instead of taking the mentor role, knowing he would still be the starter for a while, poor little Stevie says he feels discarded. Cuban does not want to overpay Nash so he lets him go. Nash is a very good pg. But on any other team that does not produce inflated stats, he is not the MVP. Just an All-Star point guard. Nash = Fredo, he is dead to me. Maybe when he retires all will be forgiven, maybe not.

Finley on the other hand was a victim of his inflated salary. He really didn't want to leave the Mavs. His ego would not let him admit he wasn't a starter, or that he shouldn't get the ball more. He turned into a spot up shooter, nothing more. His attempt to play defense last year is because he knew Pop would bench him. He also knew with Avery being coach, if he didn't get it done, he would be on the pine. So he gets his release, has a chance to go to a couple of teams where he can start and prove himself. What does he do? Goes to a club where he can hide if he doesn't play well. Accpets the bench role he wouldn't take in Dallas. And hopes to ride Timmy's coattails to a title. Didn't quite work out the way you planned, did it Mike. I do appreciate everything he did for the Mavs in his early years. And he was nothing but class. Hopefully one day both parties will put everything behind them and Mike may get some recognition from the Mavs.

Last edited by Silent Mav : 10-12-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputation
Default .

hmm interesting, thanks for clearing that up silent mav.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: