Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park Darkess's Avatar

Default Re: Mitch Richmond Vs. Reggie Miller

Wow, some people really love to hang onto stats until death

Wow. According to that link, Reggie shot substantially more shots than Mitch...

Quote Originally Posted by dejordan
    here's the player comparison through age 36 (didn't want to drag down any of reggie's averages or boost his totals too much by adding the extra 3 years)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...lere01&y2=2002

A Diamond In the Rough

Over how many games? Out of how many attempts?
    Mitch took 3417 3 point shot in 976 games
    Reggie took 6486 3 point shots in 1389 games

Miller of course took a lot more shots, he also played more games...but Mitch was known as a prolific 3 point shooter through out his career.

My standard is not amazing stats, it's amazing PLAY.
    I don't think you seen many of Mitch's games, he was the better all around player...I don't disagree that Miller had more playoff success, he was more clutch and probably more of a leader.

Made that high school varsity squad ReturnOfJimi's Avatar

I don't think you seen many of Mitch's games,
    Oh, yeah.. like that time he lit up the Clippers.

They show his stuff on ESPN Classic practically every day.

He's Mitch Richmond, f*ck Ryan out loud.

Richmond is better at all aspects of the their individual's game except shooting. And shooting is PART of scoring (Which Richmond has the edge in)

Richmond > Miller. Richmond also has had more award accomplishments I believe.

he was the better all around player
    So, you prove this by showing stats that aren't impressive?

I would think a better "all-around" player would help his team win more.

Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Glove_20
    Richmond is better at all aspects of the their individual's game except shooting. And shooting is PART of scoring (Which Richmond has the edge in)

he wasn't better at moving without the ball, wearing out his opponents, or delivering daggers in the clutch.

quick note - the two of them were crucial to the success of team usa in 1996 as the designated floor spacers. that team's only real plays were get it to shaq / hakeem, kick out to penny / pip / hill for quick drive and dish to either sideline for the auto-three by mitch and reggie. if they missed charles and karl would take it off the glass and kick it back to start the whole process over. fun team to watch.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
    Reggie was better on defense too.
    You've got to be kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by Glove_20

Finally, somebody who actually watched Richmond play before talking about him.

Hands down Richmond was better it's really not even a debate. The only thing I'll give Miller is being a clutch shooter.

I don't know about this Miller being a better defender stuff... they both couldn't cover "Happy Birthday"

However...

Miller CLEARLY gets more Papoose Points.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Mitch Richmond is easily the better player. Reggie had far more postseason success. On this board playoff success is the be all end all.

On this board playoff success is the be all end all.

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfJimi
    I believe Richmond had just had a stellar offensive year with the Kings before he got traded for CWebb.

Then CWebb.. makes Sacramento a perennial contender.

First of all, it was a series of good moves that got talent in sactown that made them contenders. Don't act like the exit of Mitch and arrival of Webber was the only thing that got them where they were. They had one of the most talented rosters, and Mitch never got the chance to play with a team like that during his prime.

Also, Richmond was on the same level of shooting that Miller was. Reggie is better, because he had to be since his game was more perimeter oriented than Mitch's, but he isn't on a whole other level. Most won't agree, just on the basis of Miller's clutch playoff performances. Mitch was physically a beast of a 2 guard, and he was able to post up defenders as well as get to the basket. Miller relied more on his shooting ability to put up points. Mitch had the overall game, and MJ said Mitch was the hardest guy to guard, because he could score on a defender in a variety of ways.

IMO, Mitch the better individual player, and Miller's "greatness" will always be there to put him over Mitch in most people's minds. With that being said, Reggie had Smits, Davis, Mullin, Rose, Jackson, etc.

Who were the best that Richmond had on the Kings? Lionel Simmons, Wayman Tisdale, Olden Polynice, and Corliss Williamson.

You forget that the Pacers were mediocre in Reggie's early career, and they didn't even win a first round series in his first 6 seasons with the team. I'm not saying Mitch Richmond could do much better in his place, but I know he wouldn't be much worse either.
    Last edited by Showtime; 08-30-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Not airballing my layups anymore Jakez On Point11's Avatar

Just look at how many more people know Reggie than Mitch. Obvious question.

i think MJ named mitch as one of the thoughest players he went up against.
    Michael Jordan said Richmond was one of the hardest players to defend in the NBA. "There really are no weaknesses in his game," said Jordan. "He can drive to the hoop as well as take the outside jump shot. He reminds me a lot of me in his overall offensive display."