Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Default Why do ________ __________ tip so badly?

I can't keep this "tongue-in-cheek" anymore. Believe me I know, this is going to come across as brute and politically incorrect, but I need to see if anyone else has noticed the same thing. I'm talking about African Americans being the most god-awful tippers in the world. Yes, I understand this is not the same for everyone. You'll have whites or other races who tip just as bad, but I'm talking on average, and it's not even close.

I'm sorry if this upsets some of you all, but I really want to know the reasoning behind this? It's not like every African American is living pay check to pay check these days, so what gives? I've seen this all my life since I can remember. When I was 19, my girl and I drove up to Cedar Point in OH for a small vacation. On the drive back, we stopped at some local IHOP spin-off and witnessed this topic in action. There was a group of African Americans with an average age of maybe 25, not just a bunch of kids. I'm talking like 8 - 10 people at this table. Their waitress was Hispanic, and my girl and I watched her bust her ass off serving that table. When they were ready to leave, someone at the tabled asked if they pay up front or does the waitress take care of it. The waitress said she does all that. So the guy paying for everyone's breakfast that morning gave her cash. Then she brought back their change. They left and I sh*t you not, they left no tip whatsoever. My girl and I watched in amazement, but that wasn't really our business so we just kept eating our breakfast. As the waitress was cleaning their table off, we could tell she was very upset. Not mad, just upset. I felt bad for her, so on our bill of roughly $12 I left a $10 tip. The waitress initially said she could not and would not accept that, but we just walked out and said keep it.

Throughout the past several years, I've seen similar things happen all the time. We all eat out a lot right, so I can't be the only one who's seen this in action? Hell, I've seen African Americans tip African Americans very poorly or no tip at all! If you're going into a sit-down restaurant, you're expected to tip! It's not an option unless you receive bad service! I really can't explain why this sets me off, it just does.

So last night, my girl and some of her friends are all out to dinner at a local Applebee’s. We were seated right before this other party of African Americans a table across from us. Throughout the entire service they kept making remarks about how slow they are there. They've never been slow at this Applebee’s! I've been here a thousand times! Every time the waitress would fill up their drinks then leave, they'd have something smart to say about her. Get this, the waitress was black too! I just found that very enigmatic. The waitress was doing a fine job, nothing bad or disservice-like trust me. There were four people at that table, two couples. They had drinks and desert on top of dinner. One of the couples paid for both dinners. I'm thinking their total was upwards of $50 plus... they paid with cash. Left $2 for the tip. As they walked out someone from their party said "well maybe next time they'll fill my cup up my water when I'm thirsty" ... and that woman never went a single second without having half her cup filled with water. The waitress came back and was like WTF??? in her body language when she seen that tip. I would have been disgusted myself.

I'm sorry LOL - just had to get this off my chest. I know all races do this, but come on people, who are we kidding - African Americans tip the worst, and it's not even close. I just want to know, WHY???

_____

OK my rant is done - let the flaming begin!!!
    Last edited by e-Thugstylez; 05-30-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Default Re: Why do ________ __________ tip so badly?

I am sorry, but that just made me laugh. I didn't even read the story cause I wasn't interested, but wanted to know the subject, so read until that. But funny.

Just be thankful that the African Americans actually paid the bill!

OKAY SORRY, just had to get that cheap shot in. I am done. Funny how a brown person is stereotyping...

Quote Originally Posted by brwnman
    I am sorry, but that just made me laugh. I didn't even read the story cause I wasn't interested, but wanted to know the subject, so read until that. But funny.

Just be thankful that the African Americans actually paid the bill!

OKAY SORRY, just had to get that cheap shot in. I am done. Funny how a brown person is stereotyping...
    LOL - I know right. I just want to know the reasoning behind it?

I have my soc degree in minority/ethnic relations, so I'm not one to be prejudicial, but after waiting tables for 4 years during undergrad I can say the average blacl family tips a lot worse. There's nothing worse than working a table of 10 after church on sunday and getting 8 bucks on 100.

NBA Superstar

when did people start calling Asians 'African American'?

This based off a friend of mine who was a waitress. I am not sterotyping, just basing it off her experience. She told me of all races, that Black people tipped by far the worse. She worked at Claim Jumper, which is not the best, but not the worst quality either, so there was an even mix of people. And she is the type of person to bust her as$ off with a smile in what ever she does, so I know she always provided good service. She said there was a time 2 black couples came in for dinner and a few drinks, constantly asking for refills and whatnot. Bill was around 90-100 bucks. They honeslty left change on the table as tip!. And this was not the only incident she told me about. Of course there were other races who left bad tips and there were black people who did leave a good tip but blacks were the most consistent to leave bad tip in her time there. She told me there were people who left below average tips, but black people were the ones who left the "insultful" tips where its like a few bucks.

I am Chris Wilcox

What the hell is it with Americans and tipping?

Le service n'est pas compris.

Local High School Star The Ownage's Avatar

I remember an old thread about how people tipping $20 is bad . Seriously, Americans are crazy over tipping. It's like, in England, we give them a

Waiters make half the minimum wage and depend on 15% for a living wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
    Its called a way to make the customers pay for waiters/waitresses salary so the guy in charge doesnt have to. I wonder who came up with tipping. A genius move to avoid paying higher wages to their workers. Pay them minimum + "tips". But yea its pretty much expected to do so and you look real cheap when you dont tip. Sucks bc its expected, even when the service is crap. I love going out of the U.S. bc tip is never required or expected.

I am Chris Wilcox

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    Its called a way to make the customers pay for waiters/waitresses salary so the guy in charge doesnt have to. I wonder who came up with tipping. A genius move to avoid paying higher wages to their workers. Pay them minimum + "tips". But yea its pretty much expected to do so and you look real cheap when you dont tip. Sucks bc its expected, even when the service is crap. I love going out of the U.S. bc tip is never required or expected.
    I just don't understand why you would give someone extra money for doing what they are suppose to do and what they already get payed for.

i find it strange too.

I just don't understand why you would give someone extra money for doing what they are suppose to do and what they already get payed for.
    Yea it doesnt make sense at all but its pretty much standard here and everyone is used to pulling out a tip after they eat dinner. Its pretty much part of the bill. Its been around so long that i would feel guilty for not leaving one bc they get paid crap

cartmanclone
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

why is it that white kids stink?
    what the fu-cks up wit that...

fu-ck wit me