Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-23-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
Fedor - Laker
Local High School Star

Default DJ "Dacos," Mbenga coming back next year?

as I understand it, DJ has become a FA so do you think Lakers will keep him or let him go?

My personal opinion of the guy, I really like him. I like the energy he brings (something I miss from Ronny) and although he's not a super star scorer like Pau Gasol, he does bring in a defensive buff for the Lakers. I really want to see him come back next year, what yall think?

Last edited by Fedor - Laker : 06-23-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Fedor - Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:03 AM   #2
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Default Re: DJ "Dacos," Mbenga coming back next year?

I know you guys love DJ in a "Rudy" way but I think he's run his course with us. There are much better 12th men floating around the NBA, europe, and D-league. DJ can do a job for some other team but I would be really disappointed if we brought him back. He doesn't do anything well. The only thing seperating him from Kwame is expectation. he's awful. i'd rather have kwame. i said it.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor - Laker
(something I miss from Ronny)

gah. letting rony go made sense at the time but think about how bad sasha (it was seemingly "Sasha or Rony has to go" after last season) was in the playoffs and most of the season. part of the reason we let Rony go was because "he was too talented to play the minutes we had to offer". he only got good time in Golden State when Biedrins was injured. i wager he'd trade the 21 minutes a game they gave him to have stayed with us and maybe get a few less. i guess the bottom line is I miss Rony too, he brought something special to the team that i thought we were missing this year. Josh Powell does a job and DJ is sort of a "lovable" oaf but it's not the same.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
MFC
Learning to shoot layups

It just comes down to money. If Mbenga asks for any sort of pay rise, then it's "see you later, DJ". However, having a cheap, 7-footer as a backup center on the roster has some uses and insurance purposes during the regular season. We're not in a position to upgrade at backup center, so if he's willing to stay on for the same money, then he can come back in the hope of collecting another ring next season. If not, we can pluck any 7-foot behemoth to fill the role. In our four championships this decade, the likes of Mbenga, Salley, Knight and Foster filled backup center roles.
MFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
GMW
Made that high school varsity squad

What I understand from interview with the Belgian media is that DJ isn't eager on staying himself. He wants to move to a team where he gets more playing time. Not sure who's gonna give him that but he's convinced he can play a bigger role for some team. I don't think he'll be back.
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMW
What I understand from interview with the Belgian media is that DJ isn't eager on staying himself. He wants to move to a team where he gets more playing time. Not sure who's gonna give him that but he's convinced he can play a bigger role for some team. I don't think he'll be back.

Do you have a link? I don't know how trustworthy this source is.

Last edited by lakerfreak : 06-23-2009 at 06:13 AM.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
MFC
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMW

Thanks for the update. I wouldn't blame him for leaving. If he can get more playing time, money and a longer contract elsewhere, then its probably a good move. I usually berate players who leave teams with a great opportunity to win championships in search of individual benefits, but Mbenga's place on the roster is hardly secure, and he's within his rights to look around.
MFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
GMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Do you have a link? I don't know how trustworthy this source is.
Not really, just some Flemish radio reports and articles. I'll see what I can find.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMW
Not really, just some Flemish radio reports and articles. I'll see what I can find.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
GMW

Here's one:

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1305/NBA/ar...et-titel.dhtml

Quote:
Onze landgenoot Didier Mbenga begint vanavond met zijn team LA Lakers aan zijn derde NBA-finale. Daarin zal hij het opnemen tegen Orlando. Het team dat als eerste vier wedstrijden weet te winnen, mag zich kampioen noemen van de Amerikaanse basketbalcompetitie.

Twee verloren finales
Mbenga speelt nu al vijf jaar in de meest voor de verbeelding sprekende basketbalcompetitie. Hij begon zijn carrière in de NBA bij de Dallas Mavericks. De club waarmee hij in 2006 zijn eerste finale verloor van Miami. De Belg kreeg toen enkele minuten speelgelegenheid.

Na een korte tussenstop bij de Golden State Warriors kwam Mbenga bij de LA Lakers terecht. De club verloor vorig jaar de titel aan Boston en wil daar nu revanche voor nemen. Ook Mbenga wil persoonlijke revanche want vorig jaar kreeg de Belg geen speelgelegenheid tijdens de finale.

Geschiedenis schrijven
"Ik heb al geschiedenis geschreven als eerste Belg in de NBA, ik was ook de eerste Belg die een finale speelde en nu wil ik kunnen zeggen dat ik de eerste Belg was die zich wereldkampioen (sic) mag noemen", aldus Mbenga in Gazette des Sports, "Ondanks mijn twee korte invalbeurten tijdens de play-offs heeft de trainer me duidelijk gemaakt dat hij op me rekent. Ik begin dus niet als toerist aan de finale, maar als volwaardig lid van de kern."

In schoonheid afscheid nemen
DJ Mbenga wil ook in schoonheid kunnen afscheid nemen van de fans. Onze landgenoot geeft toe dat zijn avontuur bij de Lakers er hoogstwaarschijnlijk opzit. "Ik denk niet dat ik hier volgend seizoen nog speel. Ik hou van de stad, maar ik denk dat ik beter eens andere oorden opzoek. Ik zal wel in de NBA blijven, maar kies voor een team waar ik een ander statuut zal hebben. Ik ben in ieder geval klaar de fans nog een mooi afscheid te geven. Ik wil het allerhoogste want twee verloren finales volstaat. Het team is ook geconcentreerd en vastberaden deze finale te winnen."

translation of the last paragraph:

DJ Mbenga also wants to part with the fans on a good note. Our compatriot admits that his adventure with the Lakers is most likely over. "I do not think that I'll be playing here next season. I love the city, but I think it's better for me to move elsewhere. I will stay in the NBA, but chose for a team that will give me a different role. I am ready to give the fans a great farewell. I want the highest because 2 lost finals is enough. The team is focused and determined to win these finals."
Old 06-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMW
Here's one:

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1305/NBA/ar...et-titel.dhtml

translation of the last paragraph:

DJ Mbenga also wants to part with the fans on a good note. Our compatriot admits that his adventure with the Lakers is most likely over. "I do not think that I'll be playing here next season. I love the city, but I think it's better for me to move elsewhere. I will stay in the NBA, but chose for a team that will give me a different role. I am ready to give the fans a great farewell. I want the highest because 2 lost finals is enough. The team is focused and determined to win these finals."

Thanks for the link.

Wasn't this before the championship though?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
GMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Thanks for the link.

Wasn't this before the championship though?
Just before the finals. He talks about winning the chip so he can leave in beauty.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #13
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

What most of you guys don't realize is that DJ hasn't been playing basketball very long. He has been working his a$$ off for the past year and is ready to make a serious impact......think Ariza type improvement. I was fortunate enough to see a couple of his workout first hand. That's the real reason they dumped Mihm. DJ had a 10 point including 2 nice jumpers, 5 blocks, 4 boards game this year in limited minutes.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
GMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
What most of you guys don't realize is that DJ hasn't been playing basketball very long. He has been working his a$$ off for the past year and is ready to make a serious impact......think Ariza type improvement. I was fortunate enough to see a couple of his workout first hand. That's the real reason they dumped Mihm. DJ had a 10 point including 2 nice jumpers, 5 blocks, 4 boards game this year in limited minutes.
I very much doubt it.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
All Net

I don't blame him wanting to move on but realisticly is anybody going to give him minutes?
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: