Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are these dirty moves in fantasy sports?

1- When you're proposed a trade and you hold out until one of your players gets injured to accept the trade?

2- To add and drop players in the league allows a certain amount of player moves to maximize roster?

3- To completely fleece a weaker player?

Thoughts from you fantasy studs

Are there any other cheap moves?

Default Re: Are these dirty moves in fantasy sports?

"you play to win the game"

Herm said it best.

#3 is pretty shady. But one of the other stronger players WILL do it, guaranteed. So take that into consideration

But I quit fantasy because it was taking over my life. It was like electronic crack and I was Odoming all over the place. Maybe not the best to answer

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

another cheap move would be to see what players your matchup needs and pick them up... would i do any of these, prob not

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
    another cheap move would be to see what players your matchup needs and pick them up... would i do any of these, prob not
    That's not cheap, that's smart.

College star

Never heard the phrase 'fleece a player', what exactly does that mean?

#1 is pretty cheap.

The rest are meh. It's annoying when certain managers constantly propose ridiculously one sided trades and get pissed when you reject them.

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    That's not cheap, that's smart.

im in the championship game in my fantasy football league and my matchup's defense is kinda weak... i thought about picking up a bunch of defenses (even though my defense is set), but i just picked up one lol

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by sixerfan82
    Never heard the phrase 'fleece a player', what exactly does that mean?
    When you fleece a sheep what happens? You're stripping it clean.

That's essentially what fleecing a player is in fantasy sports. You strip them of their valuable players via trade by giving them overvalued or trash players.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

2- To add and drop players in the league allows a certain amount of player moves to maximize roster?
    I would do this all the time. Especially towards the end of the season in tight leagues. I say if it's not against the rules, it's not dirty. Play to win.

Trades are the iffy part. If one person is basically out and they collude with someone else in a money league by giving them their best players, that's BS. But it's also on the rules being setup to be able to veto trades and the other members being active enough to notice it. So if something like that goes through, the blame goes on all.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    1- When you're proposed a trade and you hold out until one of your players gets injured to accept the trade?

What do you mean by that

College star

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    When you fleece a sheep what happens? You're stripping it clean.

That's essentially what fleecing a player is in fantasy sports. You strip them of their valuable players via trade by giving them overvalued or trash players.
    I see, thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    What do you mean by that
    Say your league allow a maximum of 8 players you can add a week. If someone is not playing on your roster you drop him and add a player who is playing. So if you had 7 people playing that day you drop one and add somebody who's playing. Now you have eight. Usually somebody with low productivity you can get back down the line.

I've been a league commish for about 6 years now, and I run a rule-set that addresses all of these issues.

First, there is a game limit of 40 games per week, which means constantly adding and dropping players (streaming) is pointless. It's about quality, not quantity. I also only allow 2 transactions per week, which gives everyone in the league a chance to add hot FA's. Finally, I have trade veto power over any lopsided trades. My veto can be overturned with 6/11 (no vote for me) team votes.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid

1. Why doesn't your league have a time-line to accept the trade? My league has a week to accept, so you can't just save it for an injury. Assuming your league allows you to just sit on a trade proposal and wait to see if it becomes advantageous in the future, then yes, it is cheap.

2. Not cheap. Strategy. You are only dropping weak players temporarily for other weak players anyway. If the player you are dropping are quality, others will pick them up and it is your loss.

3. Fair game.

It is weak to take advantage of a personal relationship with another player who isn't so much into the fantasy league.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I had a proposed trade out this year for Doug Martin. I was offering a package of two running backs for one, but one of mine was on a bye, so I told the guy we could wait till the week ended so he wouldn't suffer having the one lesser back for this week. That was the week Martin got hurt. I don't know if he would've accepted the deal or not, because I rescinded the trade as soon as I saw the injury. But to me that would be a little dirty. It's certainly on me to rescind the trade. But I do think in that case the offerer should have a window until Tuesday to rescind the trade, which overrides his ability to accept it. It shouldn't just be about him seeing the injury news a few hours earlier.

Very rarely are all teams strong everywhere, so I'm not opposed to people picking and dropping players. In fact it's a big part of team assembly. If you stack your bye weeks and have a week where you have to cut good players just to field a team, that's on you. And for example this year, I was weak at WR, even while only playing two. So I was flipping guys every week based on matchup. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. And I do it with Defense and Kicker too. Some D is playing outdoors in the cold, snow, wind, rain. They're playing a lousey offense. Or a kicker if he gets an indoor game, or a game in Denver. I play those matchup type of things all the time.

Fleecing a bad player should be handled by a league veto policy. Although I have to admit I don't always see it. We had a bad one go through this year where Marshawn Lynch went through for some TE, a middling WR, and a middling RB. Even if you don't veto it, it'd be nice to see so I could offer a counter of better pieces if I so choose. This is my first year using ESPN though, so I missed it obviously. Otherwise I've prefferred it to Yahoo which we used to use.

I'm in my championship this weekend.
    Cam Newton
    AP
    Laveon Bell
    Chris Ogbonnaya
    Ryan Matthews
    Dwayne Bowe
    Julian Edelman
    Jimmy Graham
    Lions D
    Phil Dawson

My bench is
    TY Hilton
    Bilal Powell
    Panthers D
    Marlon Brown from Baltimore
    Darren Sproles
    Toby Gerhart
    and Ben Tate.

I'd been using Tate for weeks until he got IR'd. If both AP and Gerhart are out, I'm screwed. Bilal Powell helped at the start of the year, and just as he cooled off Tate moved into the starting lineup in Houston.
    I'd also been getting good production from the Panthers D, but I picked up the Detroit D figuring they've got The Giants at home. And I'm kind of counting on The Saints to play well, or at least Jimmy Graham. And if AP is ruled out, maybe Darren Sproles too.

I can't find an upgrade at RB to Ogbanaya at this point on the waiver wire.

This was a 14 team league at a $200 buy in. I don't think we'd do 14 again. 12 maybe.