Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #1
Kobe 24
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Kobe 24 has an OK reputation so far
Default Lamar Laker Future?

I know there has been much speculation about Lamar being shopped around. Recently, he has been playing some serious ball though, consistently putting up 15 points and 15 boards a night. Do you think that he will be shopped hard after this season depending on how far the Lakers go in the playoffs? and if so, who would be the best fit to replace him?
Kobe 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:52 AM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Lamar Laker Future?

Its all definitely going to depend on how well the lakers do in the playoffs. Im saddened to say that as a fanbase, we tend to find a scapegoat whenever we are unsuccessful, and if we don't win a title this year, Lamar might be the first one in everyone's mind to leave.

I like lamar and I was always so hopeful for him. Beautiful thing is now he's playing up to the hype and he's a huge reason why we're winning games.

Its always rare having someone like him and I would love to keep him for as long as possible as long as he plays the way he is now. However if we get offered a perennial all-star like Butler, I would immediately jump on that.

If we win the title though, expect us to keep everyone together.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:16 AM   #3
Laker Magic 32
Kids at the park dunk on me

Laker Magic 32 has an OK reputation so far

I strongly believe that Lamar should end his career with the Lakers and hopefully with 5 rings! But I'll accept 4

Seriously, Lamar does a lot of the dirty work and allows his teams to play their game. I am confident in saying that w/o LO we would not have won that game against the Suns nor would we be where we're at thus far in the season.

However, with that being said, if we have to trade him then it should be a player like Caron...
Laker Magic 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

LO is a frustrating case, but with others taking the lead, he has fallen nicely into a facilitator and rebounder. I would like to see LO retire as a Laker as well and I think if they don't use him as an expirer next season, he will re-sign at a much lower contract which would be more favorable to the Lakers and more representative of LO's value.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation

[quote=SoCalMike]LO is a frustrating case, but with others taking the lead, he has fallen nicely into a facilitator and rebounder. I would like to see LO retire as a Laker as well and I think if they don't use him as an expirer next season, he will re-sign at a much lower contract which would be more favorable to the Lakers and more representative of LO's value.

I agree.
I think LO is now really able to play HIS game. He does so many things well, but when he is asked to be a primary scorer, it just doesn't suit him, and he struggles. We all get frustrated at this because he makes Star level coin.
But as Socal has pointed out many times, we didn't sign him to that contract, Miami did.
Right now, LO's game is perfect for this team. Before Pau arrived, LO was struggling (the Detroit game), but if you think back, when Bynum began playing so well, LO was awesome then too.
So Lamar does so many things to help us win, as everyone is noticing.

One other thing LO gives us, and this will become more apparent when Bynum returns, is versitility.
Right now, Gasol is the 5 and LO the 4. When AB returns, Gasol slides over to the 4, which really suits his game better. He is great around the basket, but even better when he's a little away from it, and AB will man the 5. Now, LO slides over to the 3, where his size creates mismatches. Believe me, that front line will not get outrebounded, and the size and length will create problems for opposing teams, both offensively and defensively.

Come playoff time, rotations tend to shrink, and the Lakers will have starting caliber front lines even when a starter is resting.
The starting FC will be Bynum, Gasol, Odom
When Bynum comes out, we start the same FC we've been demolishing the league with the past 2 weeks. Gasol at the 5, LO at the 4, and then we bring in either Vlad, Luke or Ariza when he returns, depending on the need and the matchups. Kobe can even slide to the 3 and the Machine come in at the 2.

When Gasol rests, we'll have the same team that was winning back in December/January. Bynum at the 5, LO at the 4, and again, whichever 3 PJ deems as the best matchup.

When LO sits, we'll have AB and Gasol at their natural positions, and again, whichever 3 PJ deems is the best for the situation.

So, both Lamar's versitility and Gasol's versitility will make us really difficult to deal with come playoff time.
I just want the Beast back, so he can begin fitting in with his new teamates.

As far as the future of LO, it really depends on how this team meshes and performs in the playoffs. I'm optomistic.
I think we'd listen to offers, and if one came up where the FO felt we could improve the team, we'd make it. But I think it's more likely LO is brought back at a more reasonable contract number.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
ShowtymeCA2NC
Serious playground baller

ShowtymeCA2NC has an OK reputation so far

Robster89 u couldnt have put that any better...thats why Im glad(even tho LO7 pisses me off from time to time) that we didnt trade him..versatility is the Key...By the way this is my first post fellas.Go Lakers
ShowtymeCA2NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Fedor - Laker
Local High School Star

Fedor - Laker has an OK reputation so far

Didn't Lamar say after he wins a championship, he will retire? He's never been the same after the passing of his son, and he's still playing his heart out on the court, which makes me respect this man so much more.
Fedor - Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If the Lakers are willing to take the financial hit it takes to keep Lamar, he will be a Laker. It all come down to the $$ especially since he drops down to the 4th most important Laker behind Kobe/Bynum/Gasol.

We might as well enjoy this ride until the end of the season, then revisit it again at that point.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

kobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation here

I hope they don't trade him anywhere. Without him, I think the chemistry will change. I love his mega-rebounds. Rebound is like Turnover and opportunity for offense. No rebound, no offense. He's doing good in offense. Tall, moderate defense. Lots of rebound. Overall a great guy. I don't know if you can get the same quality back. I hear someone better would be Butler, but Butler doesn't do much rebound. You can have lots of good offense guys in the team, but if not much are doing the rebound, then that's not too good either cuz your opportunity for rebound goes down. They'll just be starve waiting for somebody to give them the ball. In terms of ppg, Butler is just slightly higher, so I rather take Lamar over Butler.
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #10
Fedor - Laker
Local High School Star

Fedor - Laker has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi
I hope they don't trade him anywhere. Without him, I think the chemistry will change. I love his mega-rebounds. Rebound is like Turnover and opportunity for offense. No rebound, no offense. He's doing good in offense. Tall, moderate defense. Lots of rebound. Overall a great guy. I don't know if you can get the same quality back. I hear someone better would be Butler, but Butler doesn't do much rebound. You can have lots of good offense guys in the team, but if not much are doing the rebound, then that's not too good either cuz your opportunity for rebound goes down. They'll just be starve waiting for somebody to give them the ball. In terms of ppg, Butler is just slightly higher, so I rather take Lamar over Butler.
We need him to cover some of the most dominant PF in this game like Amare Stoudemire, etc. I don't think the average Laker's fan knows how valuable he is to the Lakers.

And responding to Alex, money won't be a factor unless some team is willing to pay him 20 mil a year, other than that, if Lamar/Lakers management are both satisfied with how things are right now, then he won't leave. The real factor is how things go down this season, cuz for dam sure I think we can win the championship. We'll see.
Fedor - Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

rambis was on the radio the other day and he was talking about all the things lamar brings and you can tell how much he likes lamar he talked about how it completely changes they dynamics of the lakers when he's off the floor...
he said lamar is a handful for anybody to gaurd, too fast for the power fowards too big for the small forwards and now with pau on the team it just got harder to cover him... he also said lamar is one of the best ballhandlers on the team and his rebounding has been a key to the success they have had... he also pointed out that lamr knows the offense so well that's one of the reasons you see him on the court with the second unit

Last edited by gts : 02-22-2008 at 09:07 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #12
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I would just like to see him re-sign for something like $6-8M when his contract is over. I could live with that easily! Or, if they use the expirier, I hope its for someone like Butler.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
Kappy
Local High School Star

Kappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat cool

Lamar has been playing EXCELLENT that last 7-8 games. He's finally in his comfort zone being the 3rd option. He's rebounding, scoring, and blocking shots. What more can you ask from the guy?!! Even if the Lakers don't win the Championship this year, I say you have to keep the guy. He's really working hard now!!!......AND producing!!! You can't put the whole Championship thing on HIS back!
Kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe 24
I know there has been much speculation about Lamar being shopped around. Recently, he has been playing some serious ball though, consistently putting up 15 points and 15 boards a night. Do you think that he will be shopped hard after this season depending on how far the Lakers go in the playoffs? and if so, who would be the best fit to replace him?

DUDE!!! The trade deadline has come and gone. Lamar is a terrific
player. He fits the system well, is one of our best defenders....

Please stop talking about trading him!!!! Keep him!!!!
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: