Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Working on your game vs 12 year olds

I haven't played basketball in years so Im very rusty. I always worked on my game playing against kids.

Why?

Because it beats shooting around alone.

You have somebody that can go fetch you the ball.

You can work on your handles playing against 2 shorter players.

If you get lucky, you can go up against a fast kid with handles, so you can work on your lateral quickness.

You can work on an array of moves against them, you saw something on youTube practice against them.

And when you've got your rhythm, handles and shot back, you can go play against 16 year olds to start working on cardio and perhaps get some competition.

In two weeks I'll be ready to skip to high school level.

Banned

Default Re: Working on your game vs 12 year olds

I didnt read your post but I dont spit game at 12 year olds. Too risky.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHeat
    I didnt read your post but I dont spit game at 12 year olds. Too risky.

If it was a last resort and only for cardio.

I ran at a gym that was 40+ for a bit. I thought I was champ until league started up again. Pace killed me!

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

ask jammer

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    If it was a last resort and only for cardio.

I ran at a gym that was 40+ for a bit. I thought I was champ until league started up again. Pace killed me!
    That's actually the main reason why I resort to playing with kids.

THEY'RE THE ONLY ONES IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD.

All the grown men passing by the court where I live are there to bring their daughters to soccer practice. The burbs

You know how dogs get excited when they see other dogs? that's me when I see grown ups. Shit, even if they're 16 year olds and look borderline athletic I start wagging my tail. But they go play soccer instead... Canadian burbs

It's all good tho, still gotta work on my game I keep dribbling off my feet, missing wide open shots, pull ups aint coming close, my legs are far from being there can't even finish some layups. Sucks being old

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    ask jammer
    Im still probably better off playing against 4 foot tall 12 year olds with glasses wearing flip flops.

Might get more of a competition, sorry Jammer.

Yeah I like to try my pickup lines the most. They think everything I say is hilarious and being in highschool and being able to drive gives me an advantage boys their age don't have. Just bait them with juice and animal crackers and they'll be in your bed in no time.

NBA Superstar

Is that 7th or 8th graders? I used to participate in practices with my players when I coached that level. Was actually very good for my game, as I was constantly trying to set a great example by playing hard and playing the right way. And actually, running for two hours against 8th graders is better than standing for two hours and not exercising.

I know some local folks who've been historically very picky about who they play against. That is not just in reference to 12 year olds, but they'll opt not to play at all over playing against people who might be a level beneath them. And again, in a smaller city, sometimes you might have to wait a few days for the good competition to re-emerge.

Conversely, I think I've been able to benefit from playing anyone with any semi-competence in the game of basketball. If there's players, I'll play. And if they're a bit below me, it serves as a nice proving ground for developing moves I'd otherwise not want to risk when I'm playing next level guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Is that 7th or 8th graders? I used to participate in practices with my players when I coached that level. Was actually very good for my game, as I was constantly trying to set a great example by playing hard and playing the right way. And actually, running for two hours against 8th graders is better than standing for two hours and not exercising.

I know some local folks who've been historically very picky about who they play against. That is not just in reference to 12 year olds, but they'll opt not to play at all over playing against people who might be a level beneath them. And again, in a smaller city, sometimes you might have to wait a few days for the good competition to re-emerge.

Conversely, I think I've been able to benefit from playing anyone with any semi-competence in the game of basketball. If there's players, I'll play. And if they're a bit below me, it serves as a nice proving ground for developing moves I'd otherwise not want to risk when I'm playing next level guys.
    Yup, you can always work on something. Beats shooting around in an empty court. And it's always better when the kid can actually play.

Don't understand why people don't wanna play against lower quality competition. You can always work on something but also teach the young dudes something. The other day I spent 1.5 hours teaching a kid, we were both running dribbling drills and showing him different moves and counters which helped me too.

if Im lucky I'll play 2 against 1, helps you work on your handles and timing dribbling against the shorter players. Even if they can't play, having them reach is like having obstacles.

I don't understand why anyone wants to play against good players. I like to play against scrubs so I feel good about my skills.

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    I don't understand why anyone wants to play against good players. I like to play against scrubs so I feel good about my skills.
    I have no option

Punk suburban grownups would rather go play soccer.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    Playing against players better than me is stressful, but it's a necessary evil for at least two reasons:

1) It's more satisfying to execute good plays and emerge victorious when it's against good competition.

2) One of the more effective ways of becoming good enough to beat more people and feel good about yourself is to play against good competition. It's a part of what helps us not be scrubs ourselves (the term "scrub" being relative, of course).

But yeah, even when I succeed against good competition, I still find it quite stressful. That's actually something about my little brother I find very impressive - he loves good competition. He's 18, but I have defeated him in 1-on-1 nearly every single time we've ever played, yet he keeps coming back. It's the same with his in-season opponents - loves the big games against the top recruits. Seems he can't get enough of measuring himself against the best. I respect him for that.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-24-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204

Great example. If you are going to play with kids give them advice. My little brother's best friend was ranked top 10 in state. He said me busting him up when he was 12 made him tough and able to absorb contact. I was in high school so he had the athletic me. But yes, set an example. Teach rules and skill set. You might end up with a star and he'll remember you in the future

Im in OP's position and tbh i prefer to shoot alone rather than play with kids