Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Basketball Experts; Rate my game

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    What? You said you played in college.

Honestly, you're decent. Just trying to be as harsh as possible. How tall are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus
    I did play some high school and collage basketball, but not in the USA. The competition was not near the level it is here.

To Burgz V2 (sorry, my iPad doesn't let me quote your post and type in mine):

As I said earlier, I'm not as athletic as I used to be (I could almost dunk with one hand up until 2009 or so), but I always shot the ball like that.

I'm a lot faster and quicker than the video shows. To be honest, I didn't want to run around like a maniac while recording myself in case the neighbors saw me do it.

Maybe I'll get someone to record a pick up game, so you guys can see that my midrange game is the second thing that my defender should worry about (first being my ability to get to the rim and finish with either hand). But yes, nowadays I rely more on my craftiness than athleticism to accomplish that.

Thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus
    Dude, is there a reason you keep ignoring my questions? How tall are you, and where did you play?

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Dude, is there a reason you keep ignoring my questions? How tall are you, and where did you play?
    Well, you seem to be trolling, how's that for a reason?

Anyway, I'm 6'1". I went to Bogazici University in Istanbul.

Now watch my moves at 3:41, 4:32, and 5:05 and tell me again that I've got shitty handles. And how am I a lazy shooter when all I do is shoot fadeaways? You do know that that is harder to master, right?

Your shot is really funky. I don't think I've ever seen someone shoot like that. Your handles are decent, I guess.

-Smak

NBA Superstar

Now watch my moves at 3:41, 4:32, and 5:05 and tell me again that I've got shitty handles. And how am I a lazy shooter when all I do is shoot fadeaways? You do know that that is harder to master, right?
    I mean this very politely, but one thing I'll say about that move where you put your right leg forward, dribble through it, then go behind the back and spin... all three of those things seem to keep you generally in a straight line toward the basket (like the move at 4:32). That is, they don't seem as much elusive maneuvers as they are dribbling tricks. In fact, nearly every time you crossover then spin or go behind your back, you're not really going anywhere - a defender could just stand still and defend those moves effectively.

With that said, I know judging things from solo shootarounds is tough because we're not exactly pushing ourselves in those situations. I will say, despite how effective you feel always falling away, I'm not a big fan of it. I think it's one thing to have a high fallaway tendency and another to not have the ability to shoot a normal, straight up, straight down jumper. However solid you think your jumper is right now, I think it'd be even better if you'd actually taught yourself to square and shoot normally instead of leaning and falling all the time. It just seems strange to imagine kicking it out to you for a wide up three pointer in a real game, knowing you're going to be shooting a fallaway no matter what.

As it stands now, it is what it is. We all have weird things about our games that are just there. I set my feet nearly twice as wide as necessary and I start my shooting motion from a slightly unusual position, but I feel it works for me. And here, it's clear you feel the permanent fallaway works for you, so more power to ya. And I know I picked two negative things to focus on but I mean, it is clear you like playing the game and you've put time into it. I've definitely seen a lot worse. It's just a little tough to pick up on how effective things are without some sort of game footage.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 09-24-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    Your shot is really funky. I don't think I've ever seen someone shoot like that. Your handles are decent, I guess.

-Smak
    Is it the release, or kicking the leg out, or the fact that it's a fadeaway?

I'll tell you this; unless you are at least 6'4" with long arms and good timing, you're not gonna block my shots. I'll drain them in your face, and you might get scrambled eggs in the process if you know what I mean.

NBA Superstar

Is it the release, or kicking the leg out, or the fact that it's a fadeaway?

I'll tell you this; unless you are at least 6'4" with long arms and good timing, you're not gonna block my shots. I'll drain them in your face, and you might get scrambled eggs in the process if you know what I mean.
    I think the falling away creates a shot that is just a tiiiiny bit flat. It actually seems your shot's desired result is to go in only after hitting the back iron, as opposed to swishing through the net. At 6'4'', I'm not sure my concern would so much be to block your shot, as it would be to attempt to pressure you just enough to force you slightly out of your shot's comfort zone, knowing any additional ounce of flatness (or extended fallaway) may create a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I mean this very politely, but one thing I'll say about that move where you put your right leg forward, dribble through it, then go behind the back and spin... all three of those things seem to keep you generally in a straight line toward the basket (like the move at 4:32). That is, they don't seem as much elusive maneuvers as they are dribbling tricks. In fact, nearly every time you crossover then spin or go behind your back, you're not really going anywhere - a defender could just stand still and defend those moves effectively.
    That video is more of a shooting drill. In an actual game, I would mix things up by attacking the basket pretty regularly (left or right) that you would have to go for those fakes and lose your ground and give me enough space to shoot if I chose to. Trust me, that's what happens. You're just saying that because you get to see what I do in the end (not really going anywhere, taking a fadeaway jumper), but that's not gonna happen every time. I'm good at reacting to my defender, and remember that the step back is a "counter move." You use it only after the initial drive is stopped, and if it isn't, you take it all the way to the basket.

With that said, I know judging things from solo shootarounds is tough because we're not exactly pushing ourselves in those situations. I will say, despite how effective you feel always falling away, I'm not a big fan of it. I think it's one thing to have a high fallaway tendency and another to not have the ability to shoot a normal, straight up, straight down jumper. However solid you think your jumper is right now, I think it'd be even better if you'd actually taught yourself to square and shoot normally instead of leaning and falling all the time. It just seems strange to imagine kicking it out to you for a wide up three pointer in a real game, knowing you're going to be shooting a fallaway no matter what.
    Not that I can't, it's just easier for me when I fall back. Maybe I'll do another video in which I'll take straight jumpers. I can certainly shoot that way, too.

I don't take many 3's (I feel like I can always dribble a few more times, get inside the 3-point line and take a better percentage shot or drive to the basket), but when I do, I certainly don't fall away. That would be straight up stupid (or should I say "fade away stupid" lol), plus I'm not sure if my arms and legs are that strong.

It's just a little tough to pick up on how effective things are without some sort of game footage.
    I know. Maybe one day I'll post some game footage, too. Thanks.

NBA Superstar

That video is more of a shooting drill. In an actual game, I would mix things up by attacking the basket pretty regularly (left or right) that you would have to go for those fakes and lose your ground and give me enough space to shoot if I chose to. Trust me, that's what happens. You're just saying that because you get to see what I do in the end (not really going anywhere, taking a fadeaway jumper), but that's not gonna happen every time. I'm good at reacting to my defender, and remember that the step back is a "counter move." You use it only after the initial drive is stopped, and if it isn't, you take it all the way to the basket.
    Yeah no worries there. I was just saying you used those moves at 3:41 and 4:32 as showcases of excellent handles and I wasn't sure they were the best examples due to their lack of speed, direction change, and explosion. You had other maneuvers - hesitations, side-steps, etc., and those were solid. Just the backward between the legs dribble and stationary spin did not seem as if they'd be effective against a legitimate defender in a game, since they'd more or less just be able to stand still and have you come right back to them.

Yeah no worries there. I was just saying you used those moves at 3:41 and 4:32 as showcases of excellent handles and I wasn't sure they were the best examples due to their lack of speed, direction change, and explosion. You had other maneuvers - hesitations, side-steps, etc., and those were solid. Just the backward between the legs dribble and stationary spin did not seem as if they'd be effective against a legitimate defender in a game, since they'd more or less just be able to stand still and have you come right back to them.
    I didn't say I had excellent handles. That one guy said I had no handles, so I re-watched the first five minutes to see what I could use as an example to prove him wrong. There are probably more later in the video.

I just think that you gotta be crazy to say that I have no handles even after just watching that video, unless you are comparing me to an active or retired professional basketball player. I believe that handles and footwork go hand in hand when it comes to basketball, and I'd like to believe that I have decent (key word, decent, definitely not excellent) craftsmanship in both.

I'm an amateur player, and it was just a shootaround. I didn't go full speed (nowhere near), and having a defender in front of me would have made a big difference.
    Last edited by pegasus; 09-24-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Instead of having this wanky talk, you could have put your shot in a gif and see how it compares with other mangs of the ISH

I didn't have time to watch all of it but your fadeaway looks like Kobe's. You look like you have a bit of game but I wouldn't think of you as a dominant scorer... But definitely no slouch and I'd take you on my team

I'd say the guy who said you have no handles is more right though. Your handle doesn't look solid enough to be utilized effectively in games (which is how I grade)... Just by looking I can tell that you aren't going take many people off the dribble. But then again, handle is as much about confidence as it is about skill so if you have some balls then your handles would probably suffice. You got to be willing to take the criticism though if you post a vid though... try and use it constructively even if people come off as aholes. They are just being honest.
    Last edited by Swaggin916; 09-26-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Poor handles, not much athleticism and okay looking shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    I didn't have time to watch all of it but your fadeaway looks like Kobe's.

/thread