Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: Some Pau trade ideas

Quote Originally Posted by irondarts
    Oh my goodness. You must be a Lakers fan. The Lakers pull off highway robbery on every one of those trades.

Seriously...Gallo, Chandler and Miller for Pau and Blake?

Pek, Budinger, D-Will and Barea for Pau?

Bass, Bradley AND Green for Pau?

Every one of them? Then you list 3?

Anyway, I said in the beginning that it was almost impossible to get value for Gasol, and that I think the Lakers should keep him. That being said..

Denver breakdown:
    Denver does it because Chandler doesn't play, Miller is a backup (though an important one), and Gallo is good but has never taken the next step to "really good". Iggy slides to the 3, Brewer to the 2, with Blake backing up Lawson, and occasionally playing with him when Denver wants to run-and-gun. Is it ideal? No, but I think it makes them a significantly better team.

Minn:
    Barea is a backup. Williams regularly gets DNPs, and even though he's a recent #2 pick, he's clearly not working on their roster. Can they get more for him? Perhaps... but Gasol is still a top 20 player. Budinger has played in 5-10 games (going off memory), so he's clearly not a valued contributor. So end result is Minn gives up one starter, one 20 mpg backup, and 2 players that don't have a regular spot in the rotation for... a top 20 player. Love and Gasol up front would be nasty.

Celtics:
    My Boston friend agrees with you, but I see it is Bradley is the only one of those 3 players that has an "all star" ceiling. But Bradley is not even playing right now due to injury, and Boston is still doing well. Pau would instantly be the second or third best player on the team, and all for 3 rotation players (Bradley has star potential, but certainly is not one now). For a team in "win now" mode, I think that's a good trade.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan
    The Hawks were willing to consider seriously a trade of Gasol for Josh and Marvin Williams, to get rid of Marvin's contract, but those talks never went anywhere and the Hawks sent Marvin to Utah for Devin Harris's expirer.

Now there is no reason to take on Pau's monster contract.

Anyway, I doubt Josh would be happy hanging out on the wing in MDA's system.

Maybe the Lakers can try to trade for Channing Frye to play that role.
    I prefaced that trade by saying the Hawks had said they wouldn't do it. So again, I consider it the least likely trade I listed.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    I prefaced that trade by saying the Hawks had said they wouldn't do it. So again, I consider it the least likely trade I listed.
    Theoretically the Hawks would work out a trade of expirers in Harris, Petro, Morrow for Pau Gasol and some other contract the Lakers throw in.

The Hawks would have this team:

PG: Teague, Williams
    SG: Korver, Jenkins
    SF: Smith, Stevenson
    PF: Horford, Johnson
    C: Gasol, Pachulia

With Gasol at center, the Hawks could center in the East with Miami.

What team is going to be stupid enough to take on 32 year old Pau Gasol who's scheduled to make $19M next year? A third team would have to get involved so they could receive other valuable assets since the Lakers don't have any good young players or drat picks to include in a straight-up two-team deal.

Drummond, Bynum, Prince and Jerebko for Gasol only? Drummond for Gasol straight-up is a bad trade for the Pistons. Jennings, Udrih, Mbah a Moute, and Udoh for just Gasol? The Timberwolves one might be the worst. Pekovic, Derrick Williams, Barea, AND Budinger for just Gasol?

Just because the salaries match-up doesn't mean it's a good trade. A third team would have to get involved, because there's no way in hell a team is giving up multiple assets for 32 year old Pau Gasol, his bad knees, and a $19M contract and nothing else.

I don't know why people think Gasol isn't worth his contract. He absolutely is.

Horford is better than Pau at this point.

Theoretically the Hawks would work out a trade of expirers in Harris, Petro, Morrow for Pau Gasol and some other contract the Lakers throw in.

The Hawks would have this team:

PG: Teague, Williams
    SG: Korver, Jenkins
    SF: Smith, Stevenson
    PF: Horford, Johnson
    C: Gasol, Pachulia

With Gasol at center, the Hawks could center in the East with Miami.
    A 3 way trade could be something like this:

Toronto gets Devin Harris and a scrub from the Lakers.
    The Lakers get Jose Calderon, Anthony Morrow, and Johan Petro.
    The Hawks get Pau Gasol.

The Raptors get rid of Calderon who wants out, and get Harris to help out in the back court. It's a locker room shakeup, which the Raptors need.

The Hawks get Gasol to make a serious run at a title.

The Lakers get Calderon to help run the point and play some shooting guard. Morrow helps spread the floor in MDA's system. Petro is a contract throw-in.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

They're some of the worst trade ideas I've ever seen.

that pistons trade

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Just because the salaries match-up doesn't mean it's a good trade. A third team would have to get involved, because there's no way in hell a team is giving up multiple assets for 32 year old Pau Gasol, his bad knees, and a $19M contract and nothing else.
    I very much took into account talent level for the 2 years Gasol is under contract, along with win-it-all prospects of the acquiring team (save Detroit, and again I said in there that Detroit has no reason to trade for him).

Honestly people, anything you mention... I already mentioned in my post. Read it instead of just clicking on all the links, maybe?

But as for Denver... Prince is old, Jerebko never plays (so what is Detroit losing with him? They certainly aren't raising his stock any), and Drummond is a good prospect, but no one knows what a prospect will turn out to be (Oden, Arenas, Manu, Kwame are 4 quick cases that did not turn out as expected.. at all).
    Why would Detroit do it? I don't know; I don't think that they would. I do know that they'd be getting significantly MORE talent than they'd be giving up, but I also know that Detroit, in its current state, needs prospects more than old talent... again, going back to my saying that Detroit has no reason to trade for him.
    So why mention it at all? I don't know.. I guess I figured that Monroe and Gasol up front, with Knight in the back court and Singler on the wing, could be pretty competitive next year. That would be an absolute beastly front line in the East.

College superstar

A 3 way trade could be something like this:

Toronto gets Devin Harris and a scrub from the Lakers.
    The Lakers get Jose Calderon, Anthony Morrow, and Johan Petro.
    The Hawks get Pau Gasol.
    If this is the value that most people associate with Gasol, then I completely see why no one likes my Gasol trades.

Forgive me for still considering Gasol a top 20 player, and one around whom a championship level team can be built. Maybe not win it all, but a team with Gasol as its best player, and some other nice pieces, could definitely contend.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    I very much took into account talent level for the 2 years Gasol is under contract, along with win-it-all prospects of the acquiring team (save Detroit, and again I said in there that Detroit has no reason to trade for him).

Honestly people, anything you mention... I already mentioned in my post. Read it instead of just clicking on all the links, maybe?

But as for Denver... Prince is old, Jerebko never plays (so what is Detroit losing with him? They certainly aren't raising his stock any), and Drummond is a good prospect, but no one knows what a prospect will turn out to be (Oden, Arenas, Manu, Kwame are 4 quick cases that did not turn out as expected.. at all).
    Why would Detroit do it? I don't know; I don't think that they would. I do know that they'd be getting significantly MORE talent than they'd be giving up, but I also know that Detroit, in its current state, needs prospects more than old talent... again, going back to my saying that Detroit has no reason to trade for him.
    So why mention it at all? I don't know.. I guess I figured that Monroe and Gasol up front, with Knight in the back court and Singler on the wing, could be pretty competitive next year. That would be an absolute beastly front line in the East.
    Drummond needs to be unleashed more. A future pairing of Monroe and Drummond would be mighty beasty for the pistons and that is what they should be building for rather than trading for gasol, which will probebly make them mid-standings fodder.

Pistons are slowly rebuilding with some nice pieces.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Kris Humphries
    Mirza Teletovic
    3 first round draft picks

for Pau

This works for the Lakers because the Lakers can have a 4 alongside Howard that will just grab rebounds and not focus on scoring. the 3 first rounders are great for the future and Mirza would just be a throw in essentially.

The Nets would add another great player teams have to adjust to.

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    Kris Humphries
    Mirza Teletovic
    3 first round draft picks

for Pau

This works for the Lakers because the Lakers can have a 4 alongside Howard that will just grab rebounds and not focus on scoring. the 3 first rounders are great for the future and Mirza would just be a throw in essentially.

The Nets would add another great player teams have to adjust to.
    D'Antoni would LOVE Teletovic

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    D'Antoni would LOVE Teletovic
    Yeah he's a young stretch four that doesn't get used in the nets rotation. I'm sure Dantoni would make great use of him. maybe if we get this trade all over twitter, gms will see it.