Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #6826
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
I usually give a 6 to films on the bubble or guilty pleasures. I mean, if I like a movie I feel it should get above a 5... Sometimes I'll give a movie a 5 if it has strong points, but overall I didn't enjoy the movie. Seven is an example. It has some strong points... Kevin Spacey's acting and the tone is quite good... But I think Pitt's acting was bad and I thought Pitt and Freeman just had uninteresting characters so I didn't enjoy the movie. So I'll give it a 5.

7 is good.... 8 is really good and 9's and 10's are great. I rarely give the movie a 10 though.

I think most people are using the american grading system, where anything below a 60 is failing. So that implies something being notably bad. While a 70 is a C, so it's satisfactory.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #6827
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Absolutely fascinating doc. The realism and personalities he built to fill the void in his life after his tragic memory loss is just incredible. He expresses his anger, fears, desires, etc through these dolls and this created reality that evolved into an incredible piece of art. It honestly should have won the Oscar for best doc and it wasn't even nominated. I'm seriously at a loss for words it was that great and emotional.

10/10

Last edited by Jailblazers7 : 05-12-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #6828
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I think most people are using the american grading system, where anything below a 60 is failing. So that implies something being notably bad. While a 70 is a C, so it's satisfactory.
For me a film doesn't really become bad until it hits 4/10. A 5/10 movie for me is a film that just exists. It isn't bad but defintely doesn't have many redeeming features to it.

7/10 is a good movie
8/10 is very good
9/10 is great
10/10 is oustanding and very rarely given out. (The only 10/10 movie in the last 2 years for me has been Inglorious Basterds)
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #6829
mcrd101
High School Starter

Scott Pilgrim vs the World

From a critical perspective; 7/10

Personally-9/10

This movie would be lost on many people, but I love the references in this movie and just the whole vibe of it. The video game atmosphere and comedy is good, but really the comedy takes a back seat to the action and allusions. I love it, partly because it appeals to my interests especially (video games and such) but those who aren't into "nerd culture" may not like the movie.
mcrd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #6830
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Agreed for the most part. I'll only bust out a 9.0+ on rare occasions. People throw around 9/10 too haphazardly.

^^I give this post a 9.9/10.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #6831
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Very cool movie about the evolution the modern architectural movement and Shulman's role in displaying it to the world. My favorite part of it was hearing about how he sees the settings and his artistic vision of capturing the architecture.

8/10
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #6832
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

I think for me, anything below a 4 is nearly unwatchable. Between 4 and 6 is watchable, but ultimately not very good. 6-7 is enjoyable. 7-8 is good. 8 and 8.5 is very good. 9 and 9.5 are great. A 10 for me is a movie that I'm at least considering as a top 15 favorite movie all time. It doesn't necessarily mean it is in my top 15, but I considered placing it in my top 15.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #6833
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I won't get into it but I've always read it as: 1/10 worst movie ever potential, 5/10 average, and 10/10 for me doesn't necessarily mean I think It's the greatest ever, just that I loved it personally, and it would probably catapult into my top 25 or whatever.

No idea that some people doing 6/10 was average. That makes no sense. Just do it out of 5 instead.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #6834
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

3/10 pretty good?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #6835
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
I won't watch a 0 - 4.9 movie again (if I even see it the first time)

Between 5 and 6.9 is an average 'meh' movie to me.

7-7.9 is good/solid, potential to watch again.

8-8.9 damn good, potentially would buy.

9-9.9 amazing

10 never given one out

So you're doing it like school grades like Thorpe pointed out.

IDK, just seems weird to me. I look at some of the ratings, then read the review and it doesn't go together. If 1-5 doesn't exist for you [basically], just change it to out of 5. That makes much more sense than deleting 5 numbers. 1 would mean you would never watch it again, and so forth.

And really, you've never given a full 10? What's the closest?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #6836
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I find it strange when posters come in here and give a lot of 1s, 2s, 9s, and 10s, but nothing in between. They either love the movie with a passion or hate the movie with a passion and apparently has never seen a movie that was just so-so.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #6837
BankShot
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I find it strange when posters come in here and give a lot of 1s, 2s, 9s, and 10s, but nothing in between. They either love the movie with a passion or hate the movie with a passion and apparently has never seen a movie that was just so-so.

Also when people say a movie wasn't good, but still give it like a 7.5

On a scale of one-to-ten....isn't a five considered average?
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #6838
joe
College superstar

diary of a whimpy kid

yeah I watched a kids movie. I admit it

Anyway.. it reminded me of how terrifying middle school can be when youre 10 years old.. not knowing where youll sit at lunch, who youll hang out with and what not.

Buttt.. the movie is very formulaic and misses the chance to go more than skin deep with its plot.

Plus, things start to get unrealistic and strange towards the end.

Pretty much every character in the movie is an a-hole. Not really any good role models, besides the kids parents, who are pretty bleh..

For a little kid at that age I'm sure it's great, but definitely doesn't make any attempt to appeal to adults (even in a sly, "rocko's modern life" type of way).

For kids - 7/10
Everyone else - 4/10
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #6839
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth

I think a lot of veteran movie watchers [i have no word to use for that lol] tend to avoid bad movies. I know I do. Sometimes you can shut your brain off and watch some mindless action or whatever, and that could be considered average, but most of the time movie buffs are watching good movies.

You learn what to look for. The director/writer/actors attached to the project, word of mouth, reviews, etc.

And usually when a movie is really bad, movie people just shut it off or leave the theater. I can't tell you how many movies I've downloaded and tried to watch in the past few months and turned it off like 20-30 minutes in. Easily 50-60 movies. They just stink and there's no reason for me to watch it.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #6840
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I think a lot of veteran movie watchers [i have no word to use for that lol] tend to avoid bad movies. I know I do. Sometimes you can shut your brain off and watch some mindless action or whatever, and that could be considered average, but most of the time movie buffs are watching good movies.

You learn what to look for. The director/writer/actors attached to the project, word of mouth, reviews, etc.

And usually when a movie is really bad, movie people just shut it off or leave the theater. I can't tell you how many movies I've downloaded and tried to watch in the past few months and turned it off like 20-30 minutes in. Easily 50-60 movies. They just stink and there's no reason for me to watch it.

This would be my guess. And if you do watch something that's only kind of lousey, you're probably not running out to write a review of it. Chances are you simply forgot about it. That may explain the 1s and 2s, because it's probably symtematic of people just being wildly disappointed. Most people who care enough to post in here aren't stumbling blindly onto lousey movies.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: