Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-25-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
poorlilrich
woop woop

poorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this board
Default When is the madness going to stop?

I used to think Afghanistan was a horrid death trap until my conscious Econ teacher told me that Afghanistan wasn't a death trap and that there are worst ghettos in American than the so-called "deathtrap" in Afghanistan. She said the conditions over there were ameliorating every day while the fight on drugs and gang warfare was stagnant.

After her motivational but concise speech, I jumped on her bandwagon and saw Afghanistan as a work in progress instead of a black hole.

After today's news though, I will re-affiliate myself and lose all hope in Afghanistan.

Quote:
The story of a 6-year-old Afghan boy who says he thwarted an effort by Taliban militants to trick him into being a suicide bomber provoked tears and anger at a meeting of tribal leaders.

The account from Juma Gul, a dirt-caked child who collects scrap metal for money, left American soldiers dumbfounded that a youngster could be sent on such a mission. Afghan troops crowded around the boy to call him a hero.

Though the Taliban dismissed the story as propaganda, at a time when U.S. and NATO forces are under increasing criticism over civilian casualties, both Afghan tribal elders and U.S. military officers said they were convinced by his dramatic account.

Juma said that sometime last month Taliban fighters forced him to wear a vest they said would spray out flowers when he touched a button. He said they told him that when he saw American soldiers, "throw your body at them."

The militants cornered Juma in a Taliban-controlled district in southern Afghanistan's Ghazni province. Their target was an impoverished youngster being raised by an older sister but also one who proved too street-smart for their plan.

"When they first put the vest on my body I didn't know what to think, but then I felt the bomb," Juma told The Associated Press as he ate lamb and rice after being introduced to the elders at this joint U.S.-Afghan base in Ghazni. "After I figured out it was a bomb, I went to the Afghan soldiers for help."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...d/4918635.html

Quote:
Four prominent Sunni tribal leaders were killed Monday when a suicide bomber blew himself up in the lobby of a Baghdad hotel where they were meeting with government officials.

The sheiks were associated with the Anbar Salvation Council, which has allied itself with the U.S. to help drive al-Qaida extremists out of Iraq's Anbar province.

At least eight other people were also killed after the bomber went through three security checkpoints, then detonated a belt packed with explosives at the Mansour Hotel, police said.

The suicide bomber entered the hotel lobby at about noon when the hotel was busy with guests and members of news media organizations that are headquartered in the highrise building. A police officer, who is based at the hotel and asked not to be identified, said the bomber walked up to the group of sheiks and detonated the explosives.

The officer identified the dead tribal leaders as former Anbar governor Fassal al-Guood, sheik of the al-Bu Nimir tribe; Sheik Abdul-Azizi al-Fahdawi of the Fahad tribe; and Sheik Tariq Saleh al-Assafi and Col. Fadil al-Nimrawi, both of the al-Bu Nimr tribe.

Gen. Aziz al-Yassiri, a Defense Ministry adviser, also was killed in the hotel attack, a ministry official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

And three of al-Guood's guards also were killed, the police officer said.

"It was a great breach of security because there are three checkpoints, one outside and two inside," said Saif al-Rubaie, a 28-year-old hotel worker who saw the blast.

After the blast, a member of the Anbar Salvation Council said the sheiks involved in the meeting had been dropped from the council "because they did not continue working with us." He said they were meeting secretly with government officials about unspecified matters.

The U.S. command has repeatedly said the Anbar group and its opposition to al-Qaida is an example for other Iraqi tribes to follow.

A noted Iraqi poet, Rahim al-Maliki, was among the dead, said Iraqi Media Net, the government organization on whose television network al-Maliki appeared.

At least 21 people were also reported wounded at the hotel.

The attack was one of five bombings across Iraq on Monday in which at least 45 people were killed.

U.S. military officials also reported that a U.S. soldier was killed Monday in southern Baghdad, or the outskirts of the city.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=11365137
poorlilrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
HollaBolla
Banned

HollaBolla has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: When is the madness going to stop?

I hope soon, we're all caught up with how many soldiers died in Iraq and Afghanistan that we trivialize how many Iraqi and Afghan civilian died, women and children, more than hundred thousand, there country is a complete mess, it's just sad, that's why everytime I eat, I try to finish everything and not waste food cuz I know somewhere there are people dying of hunger.
HollaBolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
poorlilrich
woop woop

poorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaBolla
I hope soon, we're all caught up with how many soldiers died in Iraq and Afghanistan that we trivialize how many Iraqi and Afghan civilian died, women and children, more than hundred thousand, there country is a complete mess, it's just sad, that's why everytime I eat, I try to finish everything and not waste food cuz I know somewhere there are people dying of hunger.

I know what you mean
In my foods class, we always had a lot of leftover food or ingredients. Since no one wanted to eat them, we had to throw them away. That amount of food could keep a homeless guy on his feet for a week.

Kinda made me stick to my stomach (not sick enough to complain, but sick enough to always finish my portion of food)
Old 06-26-2007, 01:46 AM   #4
poorlilrich
woop woop

bump
Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Skyscraper
Local High School Star

Skyscraper is a pretty well-respected posterSkyscraper is a pretty well-respected posterSkyscraper is a pretty well-respected poster

World Peace is a joke. you can only have world peace through mass genocide.

NO I am not proposing we do that because that would be utterly wrong. but my point is with so many fundamental differences in culture, religion, agenda, etc... the only way to truly get world peace is to homogenize everyone's interests
Skyscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlilrich
I know what you mean
In my foods class, we always had a lot of leftover food or ingredients. Since no one wanted to eat them, we had to throw them away. That amount of food could keep a homeless guy on his feet for a week.

Kinda made me stick to my stomach (not sick enough to complain, but sick enough to always finish my portion of food)

that isn't even the tip of the iceberg. Mountains of food is wasted everyday in every city in the developed and developing world.

Regarding the world peace bit, the world hasn't been more peaceful than it has in the last twenty five years. Kinda crazy if you think about it, but at the end of the day we are all animals.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Instead of people complaining about left over food why don't they collect the food and actually take it to a homeless person or something of the sort. It does absolutly no f'n good just complaining about how much food goes to waste if you're not going to do anything about it. What annoys me more than people wasting food, is people who complain about other people wasting yet they won't/don't do anything to help the problem.

EDIT: I'm not attacking anyone in particular, I seen the topic come up so I expressed my opinion.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

you should read about the history of afganistan (how the british created it, who they but in charge and the brutal regime of terror used to control a very diverse region of the world). Prob find much of it through google or wikipedia.

anyways, the point is the history of western involvment in the middle east over the last 2 centuries is really a factor in the current national crises we are seeing in both Irag and afganistan.

Also, read up on the anglo-iranian petroleun company (now BP) and what happened when the democratically elected government of Iran tried to nationalize their oil in the 50s (while britian nationalized its coal, etc).
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

ur weird lilrich

you actually listened to linsdell? i got a B haahahahahahaha
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: