Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Is Bill Simmons Crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Peaks don't usually last more than a few seasons (maybe 2-4) and are sandwiched by a few more prime years before and after. And he sustained that MDE level for 3 seasons, and has a number of other seasons where he wasn't far form it. He was a force from his rookie year (1992-1993) through at least 2004-2005 when he had a very strong MVP case; and even in 2006 when he was still a very good player on a championship team.

And you're underestimating Bird's peak if you don't think it was better than Kobe's. He was a 27-10-7-2 on great efficiency player in his prime; and he won two championships, made four straight Finals, and won three straight MVP's.
    I have no beef with Shaq. I love everything that he did for the Lakers. Similar to Duncan, he set the bar so high in his MDE; even when he had a good year it will still be judged (and diminished by) what he did before.

Kobe had the misfortune of not winning titles during his peak years. Although I think public perception played a big part into why Dirk and Nash won MVP's during that time. It's easy to forget all the insane stuff he did during that stretch.

For all the grief that Kobe gets for being a "2nd option", it's funny how people never harp on the fact that Bird played with 4 of the All Time Top 50 players.

And I'm not gonna start another debate here... but Kobe is statistically a better 3 point shooter in the playoffs than the Legendary Bird and he has a higher scoring average.

Bird's biggest weakness on his resume is his longevity. His last few years were brutal.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    Pretty sure Duncan would win 3 titles with Shaq too.

Probably even more to be honest.

Shaq + Duncan would be the greatest front court in NBA history, by a fairly wide margin.

Shaq + Duncan > Shaq + Kobe
    Wilt + Russell > Shaq + Duncan

Next hypothetical dream team is on you, my friend

High School Starter

This thread is hilarious.

No problem with anyone thinking Duncan is better than Kobe. They're both great.

@ the idiots with all the "everyone would choose Duncan" or "it's not even close."

And, fwiw, anyone who says "Shaq carried Kobe to 3 titles" clearly didn't watch basketball back in the early 2000s late 90s. I'm willing to bet people who say that are 24 and under.

Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

I'd be fine with people saying that they want Duncan to start a franchise with, but saying that Duncan was a better player in terms of basketball ability is pushing it too far.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by chopchop20
    Wilt + Russell > Shaq + Duncan

Next hypothetical dream team is on you, my friend
    I think that'd be pretty close actually.

But since the arguement is that Duncan has never won multiple championships ... well he would have won several in a row with Shaq too.

Kobe's only done in once (repeating) without Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by chopchop20
    Despite all the things yall say about Duncan's greatness, why hasn't his team ever been dominant?

Kobe has went to 3 straight Finals on two separate occasions -- a 3-peat and a Repeat. People seem to forget how RARE a 3peat is.

Duncan has never repeated. In fact since the Lakers repeated in the 80's, only the '04 Pistons, Mavs, Heat, and Spurs have not repeated. That's almost 30 years.
    After reading some things in this thread, I don't even know why I'm posting since clearly your view of reality is warped (ie: "Duncan has not been a complete scrub", and these ridiculous h2h comparisons when the players weren't even guarding each other). Perhaps the most insane is your strange obsession with repeats.

How does this have any weight at all? Spurs won 4 chips in 8 years (Including Duncan almost single handedly ending the Lakers Dynasty!). Not to mention being the most winning franchise in the NBA. This was all anchored by Duncan. How is that not impressive? You're really going to dock him because he didn't repeat?

Then again, that means you have Bill Russel as your #1 GOAT by a large margin...I'm ok with that. Nice to see someone without Jordan there

Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    Kobe's only done in once (repeating) without Shaq.
    What a scrub, only repeating once, but actually twice, but that doesn't count apparently.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    After reading some things in this thread, I don't even know why I'm posting since clearly your view of reality is warped (ie: "Duncan has not been a complete scrub", and these ridiculous h2h comparisons when the players weren't even guarding each other). Perhaps the most insane is your strange obsession with repeats.

How does this have any weight at all? Spurs won 4 chips in 8 years (Including Duncan almost single handedly ending the Lakers Dynasty!). Not to mention being the most winning franchise in the NBA. This was all anchored by Duncan. How is that not impressive? You're really going to dock him because he didn't repeat?

Then again, that means you have Bill Russel as your #1 GOAT by a large margin...I'm ok with that. Nice to see someone without Jordan there
    Dunno how defending your title successfully is a strange obsession. If Miami loses to Indiana, how's that gonna work out for LeBron?

Most winning franchise? So that's what people remember nowadays. I'm sure that Stockton and Malone had a higher winning % than Hakeem. Perhaps while he is polishing his 2 rings, they can bask in the glory of all their non-championship victories.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Vienceslav
    What a scrub, only repeating once, but actually twice, but that doesn't count apparently.
    Yeah I know!

I mean, 2 repeats on your NBA resume is so common right? Kobe just hit the EASY button and it magically happened

Local High School Star

So here's the deal... I respect everyone's point of view who posted. If you think Duncan is better, so be it.

My problem as the title relates is with Bill Simmons and how he randomly asserts his opinions as facts without any substantial basis. The guy is always saying the most retarded stuff on NBA Countdown.

Just like his comment about Memphis and the MLK assassination. He always wants to be the smartest guy in the room.

He framed the whole Duncan vs Kobe thing as if it was without question. Like he was comparing MJ to Isaiah Rider... I dunno, that guy is always big on opinions but he never really backs them up

Not airballing my layups anymore iDunkOnFatKids's Avatar

He's not crazy for this, he is crazy for the recent Memphis and the MLK assassination comment. He been to the city for like 1 week, and decide he knows enough to make that statement. lol, insane.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by iDunkOnFatKids
    He's not crazy for this, he is crazy for the recent Memphis and the MLK assassination comment. He been to the city for like 1 week, and decide he knows enough to make that statement. lol, insane.
    Agreed. And the thing is, what is that opinion based on? I'm like WTF