Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: do air jordan releases still draw a long line?

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    Maybe I've become a crusty old shoehead who can't accept change. (Apparently that's my new schtick on here ). When you've been collecting for over a decade I guess it gets a little disheartening to see a rerelease of something you've made an epic journey over, only to devalue what you currently have.
    As for the brand in itself, I see it more as a novelty now over a premium basketball shoe brand. They used to be at the top of the basketball shoe game is the 00's. It has now become what Ice Creams and Bapes were over that period. A fashion item. This to me will kill the brand all together. Once the novelty wears off, the brand will be a sitting duck, just like Ice Creams and Bapes. We still live in a generation where the consumers still recognize Jordan the brand. This may be over soon with the next generation and the emergence of new faces in the shoe game.
    KD's, Brons, Kobes, Rose will never reach that level of demand that the Jordan brand has acheived. But the shoe game as a whole will go back to the days where athletes can be endorsed despite the shoe brand. Back it the day where Nique wore Brooks, Bird and Magic wore converse, Worthy wore New Balance, The Dream wore Etonics, Dee Brown wore pumps....
    But agin I'm just an old man ranting
    I don't blame you, if I waited in line for some sneakers, only to see them rereleased years later down the line, I wouldn't like it either. But you know what, nothing changes the fact that they are OGs and most dont have your version. Once it started where you had to line up to buy sneakers, I stopped buying. Didnt have the time or patience to wait in line. I came back once the online option opened up and could order from the comforts of home. So for a guy like me, I love that they bringing back a lot of the ones I missed out.

Not much interest in OGs because I like to wear my shoes and a lot of the OGs are not wearable. Plus those prices...

I don't see the Jordan brand going away. Comparing it to ice creams and bapes is such an insult . Those were fashion trends. Jordans are as much a staple to the sneaker world as Nike, Reebok, Adidas, ect. As long as there is Nike, there will be Jordan. Too much money to be had.

And the days of athletes endorsing sneakers regardless of brand, is over. Why? Simply because Nike, Adidas and Reebok can offer X amount of money than Spaulding (I would die if they brought back those Dream Etonics). We live in a world where brands dominate. People gravitate to the popular brands. Any athlete that is deserving of his own shoe will be bought up by one one of the big companies. Like now, Cam Newton and Brandon Jennings have their own sneaker with Under Armor and most people could care less because, they are under armor.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Even though my sneaker enthusiasm is growing by the day, I don't think I'd ever evolve into a full-blown collector. I'd like to have a nice rotation to wear, but I don't see the point in keeping worn and badly aged sneakers around to admire or even try to sell.

OG's are cool in theory and interesting to examine, but who would pay top dollar for some yellowed, creased Jordan's?

Slim Thugga wearing the Crimson 3's.

Never did like these... if the purple were changed to white or cement they would be ridin.

Jordan IX worn by Penny Hardaway:

Love em.

Never knew he wore those in tribute. I wish McGrady had rocked em in Orlando.

Anyone get their pair? Check out 21 Mercer in NY, if you are still wondering about long lines....

http://cdn.niketalk.com/a/af/afe8f60b_image.jpeg

Already going for $300+ on eBay

That line,

When will it ever go out of style?

No I didn't even try for a pair. I changed my mind on them about a week back. I saw a couple youtube vid reviews of them on feet and didn't like the suede material. It has more of a furry texture to it with spots that look like scuffs. I much prefer the white Grapes if I ever got the Grape 5's. Blacks would be better if they released in leather. Or at least tolerable if they just used the smooth suede on the metallic 5's.

I'm going to try for the Playoff 8's through a raffle on the 29th. If I can't get those, I may give up on buying J's altogether until I can get a shoe store connect that will hook me up like I know they do for some people.
    Last edited by HardwoodLegend; 06-15-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Rather cop these Grapes instead, tbh.

Entered 3 different raffles for the Playoff 8's coming out tomorrow. Hopefully I get a call today. I think it's a pretty wide release, so I hope I have no trouble.

What's the highest number of raffles any of you have entered for a pair?

i am getting them online, and I might try to snag some foams

Got lucky man, got a guaranteed ticket for a pair of the playoff 8s on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
    Got lucky man, got a guaranteed ticket for a pair of the playoff 8s on Saturday.
    Nice. How many did you enter?

I got 1 call out of my 3 but wasn't able to pick up in time, so I got skipped over. These were easy to get on Nike.com though. Seems like most people who want them are having a relatively easy time getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    i am getting them online, and I might try to snag some foams
    I'm glad I'm not into foams at all. I get stressed enough as it is over not getting the Jordans I want, so I can't imagine having stress over foams on top of that.

How many foams do you own?

A Champs Sports location near me re-opened TODAY and had all kinds of Jordan's in store since they were closed when they received their shipments back on the May 25th restocking.

Full size run of:
    Bred 4
    Bred 11
    Bred 13
    Fire Red 5
    White Grape 5
    Cool Grey 9
    He Got Game 11
    White Black Red 11 low

I'm glad more people didn't know about it before I did. I had to wait 2 hours in line behind like 30 people, and by the time I got in they only had Bred 13, White Grape 5, Cool Grey 9 and He Got Game 11 in my size.

I went with the White Grapes, but I'm gonna sell them on-line.

Really, really wanted the Bred 4 and Bred 11 to actually wear, but they were both gone before I reached the store.

We were allowed to buy 1 for each pair, and some dude in a suit at the front of the line walked out with a box of each pair in his size,

Jordan's are worse than crack to the black community.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Jordan's are worse than crack to the black community.
    They really are. I've always known it's a ridiculous pathetic addiction I've had, but it finally dawned on me standing there waiting in line.

1st time I ever stooped so low, and I'm never doing that again. Only shoot for 1 pair each year from now on. No longer going for multiples.

Most of the people standing in line were hispanic though. Only 2 black dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    They really are. I've always known it's a ridiculous pathetic addiction I've had, but it finally dawned on me standing there waiting in line.

1st time I ever stooped so low, and I'm never doing that again. Only shoot for 1 pair each year from now on. No longer going for multiples.

Most of the people standing in line were hispanic though. Only 2 black dudes.
    You in Mexico?