Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #16
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King
 
OhNoTimNoSho's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,363
Default Re: Anonymous sets its sights on the Westboro Baptist Church

This is probably a microcosm of how the crusades were started.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #17
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?
 
Lebowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,997
Default Re: Anonymous sets its sights on the Westboro Baptist Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Wow... That is very interesting. However, I would assume that anyone that is capable of DDoSing their websites would have their IPs appropriately hidden behind several proxies and maybe even Tor. I don't really see how they would be able to retrieve it.

What if WBC was behind the third letter?

I don't know, I'm far from an expert but, in my understanding, DDoSing from behind a proxy actually DDoSes the proxy instead of the intended target.
It sure is interesting, I'm quite amused by the whole thing. Last week there was another awesome thread going on on /b/ in which there was a link to a webcam in Times Square. When such thread appears, usually some anons go there and wave to the camera, show signs or stuff like that, but this time the cam was showing a postcard stand of a souvenir shop nearby. Suddenly a guy was like: "**** it, I'm gonna go there and kick that shit down. I'll be there in 30 minutes". Well, 30 minutes later the thread is full of screen caps of two guys walking by the stand, pushing one of them into the stand and taking it down with all its postcards. Then, some 20 minutes later, another anon on a bike went there and kicked it down again, and I believe someone else did it again later, until the shopkeeper decided not to put the stand up. When he finally did I went to bed, but there were already people saying they'd take it down once more.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #18
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 27,990
Default Re: Anonymous sets its sights on the Westboro Baptist Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
I don't know, I'm far from an expert but, in my understanding, DDoSing from behind a proxy actually DDoSes the proxy instead of the intended target.
It sure is interesting, I'm quite amused by the whole thing. Last week there was another awesome thread going on on /b/ in which there was a link to a webcam in Times Square. When such thread appears, usually some anons go there and wave to the camera, show signs or stuff like that, but this time the cam was showing a postcard stand of a souvenir shop nearby. Suddenly a guy was like: "**** it, I'm gonna go there and kick that shit down. I'll be there in 30 minutes". Well, 30 minutes later the thread is full of screen caps of two guys walking by the stand, pushing one of them into the stand and taking it down with all its postcards. Then, some 20 minutes later, another anon on a bike went there and kicked it down again, and I believe someone else did it again later, until the shopkeeper decided not to put the stand up. When he finally did I went to bed, but there were already people saying they'd take it down once more.


That is great. I haven't been on recently. I have to be in a weird kind of mood to get on 4chan. I also worry about some of the 'radical' pictures that occasionally get posted on /b getting cached in my history and resulting in problems. It is unlikely, but still...

I will get on occasionally, usually late at night when I can't sleep and nothing is going on with this site. I am usually thoroughly entertained.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #19
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 27,990
Default Re: Anonymous sets its sights on the Westboro Baptist Church

Up with Anon.

Down with WBC.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #20
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 13,300
Default Re: Anonymous sets its sights on the Westboro Baptist Church

I kinda root for WBC. Their dedication for such a hated cause is amazing.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #21
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,998
Default Re: Anonymous sets its sights on the Westboro Baptist Church

I was trying to visit their sites, but they are running kind of slow at the moment. :/
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #22
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"
 
airchibundo507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,253
Default Re: Anonymous sets its sights on the Westboro Baptist Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
This is probably a microcosm of how the crusades were started.

except for the separation between church and state in the US
airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #23
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star
 
InspiredLebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Birthplace of basketball
Posts: 23,543
Default Re: Anonymous sets its sights on the Westboro Baptist Church

Disgusting as the WBC is I don't support an attack on their freedom of speech.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #24
JtotheIzzo
NBA Superstar
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wolviapolis
Posts: 14,736
Default Re: Anonymous sets its sights on the Westboro Baptist Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
I kinda root for WBC. Their dedication for such a hated cause is amazing.

they do have a perverse commitment to being nuts.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #25
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 27,990
Default Re: Anonymous sets its sights on the Westboro Baptist Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Disgusting as the WBC is I don't support an attack on their freedom of speech.
I support it... Not if it were the government doing the suppressing, mind you. But, a band of outcasts who have no political power? I can live with that.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #26
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star
 
InspiredLebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Birthplace of basketball
Posts: 23,543
Default Re: Anonymous sets its sights on the Westboro Baptist Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I support it... Not if it were the government doing the suppressing, mind you. But, a band of outcasts who have no political power? I can live with that.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to up call some lawyers on 4Chan or something, but a group of faceless people anonymously (for the most part) attacking a group, reprehensible as they may be, that isn't at all a threat to society isn't my cup of tea. I'm always on the side that lets people spout off at the mouth without fear of repercussions.

I dunno, I guess it'd make more sense if the WBC wasn't universally despised, stuff like this just plays right into their hands. If they'd stop getting media coverage they'd just be that wacky ass family down the street a few people in Kansas know about.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy