Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: eurobasket2009

Banned

Default Re: eurobasket2009

Quote Originally Posted by la bomba
    Do you still think France have more depth than Spain??
    I think like berraco said scariolo tries to control every offence,tonight he did so less and Spain played better,the result shows the massive chasm between the two nations. France are a mediocre side that made through qualifying,losing one game against Belgium! Problem is there are a lot of people that only follow NBA or give too much importance to NBA ,and France having the most NBA players get a lot of undeserved attention.They really are a mediocre side.Parker was totally shut down by an 18 yr old.
    Yes France has more depth than this Spanish team. I never said France was a good team. In fact if you look I said they were the most overrated team and I didn't even think they were a good team. The point stands that a lot of players on this Spanish roster are terrible.

Anyway, Greece and Spain, once again the two best European teams go at it. No doubt these are the two best teams at the tournament, and Gasol and Spanoulis are the two best players.

I just hope it's a great game like the 2007 semifinal and not a blow out like the other times they played each other.

Good High School Starter la bomba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    France isn't mediocre, and Parker didn't get shut down by an 18 year old (I mean WTF? did you watch the game? Spain's big men are the reason why Parker couldn't score).

If you'd watched the qualifying round (and I have) you'd know that this isn't the same French team. They're playing well and I'd expect them to win against just about anybody except that Spanish team (who had their best game so far).
    I have been watcing most games. France in FIBA terms is a mediocre team, they are more of an NBA team,all athleticism,they have proved it in the last few tournaments were they have acheived little. If Greece played them in a knockout situation they would beat them.Croatia,slovenia and Serbia would also beat them in a knockout situation.Rubio's defence was great against Parker who struggles in FIBA rules,rightly so as you say because big men shut him down,where as in the NBA they can't really do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    Yes France has more depth than this Spanish team. I never said France was a good team. In fact if you look I said they were the most overrated team and I didn't even think they were a good team. The point stands that a lot of players on this Spanish roster are terrible.

Anyway, Greece and Spain, once again the two best European teams go at it. No doubt these are the two best teams at the tournament, and Gasol and Spanoulis are the two best players.

I just hope it's a great game like the 2007 semifinal and not a blow out like the other times they played each other.
    If you think France,a mediocre team who have failed to do anything of late,have more depth than Spain,and that Spain have terrible bench players but are still 1 of the top 2 teams in Europe , then you must think basketball standards in Europe are at an all time low!
    I think Spain have much more depth than France,that they have players that aren't in great form but ar far from terrible and have great experience.As for Greece,Spanoulis is great,comes to show how different europe is from NBA,the likes of Spanoulis and Navarro need to play in Europe.
    Even though Spain have been poor in most of their games and Greece is due a win against them,I still see Spain beating them. I could be wrong and if so good luck in the finals to Greece as I do like them.
    As for the other semi,I hope slovenia win,they always have a great team and fail,for once they seem to be doing well.I am pleased for barca as lakovic and Lorbek are playing very well especially Lorbek.

Banned

If you think France,a mediocre team who have failed to do anything of late,have more depth than Spain,and that Spain have terrible bench players but are still 1 of the top 2 teams in Europe , then you must think basketball standards in Europe are at an all time low!
    I think Spain have much more depth than France,that they have players that aren't in great form but ar far from terrible and have great experience.As for Greece,Spanoulis is great,comes to show how different europe is from NBA,the likes of Spanoulis and Navarro need to play in Europe.
    Even though Spain have been poor in most of their games and Greece is due a win against them,I still see Spain beating them. I could be wrong and if so good luck in the finals to Greece as I do like them.
    As for the other semi,I hope slovenia win,they always have a great team and fail,for once they seem to be doing well.I am pleased for barca as lakovic and Lorbek are playing very well especially Lorbek.
    Yeah Barca's players are looking great, just too bad they lost Ilyasova and Andersen. Spain should win because Greece has got to be dead tired after that game with Turkey. Of course like you say Greece is sort of due for a win against Spain so you never know.

As for Navarro and Spanoulis either one of them could easily play in the NBA IMO if they wanted to. Navarro would easily be a 6th man on any NBA playoff team and in the right team that fits him like one that could spread the floor for him like with a center like Duncan or Yao he would be dynamite. Spanoulis is an amazing player, nothing else to say. The old coach of the Rockets is just a moron. He would instantly be one of the best point guards in the NBA. Let's just be happy that such great players as them are in Euroleague and we get to see them. And guys like Pekovic, Lorbek, Siska, Saras, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    Yeah Barca's players are looking great, just too bad they lost Ilyasova and Andersen. Spain should win because Greece has got to be dead tired after that game with Turkey. Of course like you say Greece is sort of due for a win against Spain so you never know.

As for Navarro and Spanoulis either one of them could easily play in the NBA IMO if they wanted to. Navarro would easily be a 6th man on any NBA playoff team and in the right team that fits him like one that could spread the floor for him like with a center like Duncan or Yao he would be dynamite. Spanoulis is an amazing player, nothing else to say. The old coach of the Rockets is just a moron. He would instantly be one of the best point guards in the NBA. Let's just be happy that such great players as them are in Euroleague and we get to see them. And guys like Pekovic, Lorbek, Siska, Saras, etc.
    Totally agree!! I love it when players like Spanoulis,Navarro,Jasikevicius or now kleiza come back to europe.
    Great game against Turkey for Greece,totally outrebounded them and kept Ilyasova and Turkolgu from scoring a lot.
    Unless Spain and Greece tire themselves out in the semi,I think the winner will come out of this semi.

Made that high school varsity squad

Slovenia first time in semi-finals.

I would like to say congratulations to the whole team, but there are 4 players i'd like to point out.

1.) Erazem Lorbek - Great technique, scores at the right time, kept us alive many times when we thought were gonna lose.Without him him we wouldn't be here and we wouldn't made that big comeback yesterday against Croatia.MVP no doubt.

2.) Jaka Lakovič - A true leader that knows how to involve all players on the court, everybody's doing something and thats what i like about this team.Is a great passer and a sniper behind the 3-point line.His motivation, passion and energy are crucial to are success.

3.) Boštjan Nachbar - An all around player.He does everything.He scores inside the paint aswell as behind the arc, has the ability and quickness to fool the defender and slash for an easy two, is a good rebounder and passer.He has enough experience to turn around the game in the last minutes of the game.

4.) The Fans - They were supporting us when we were in a losing situation, they didn't give up and so didn't the team.They gave us that extra boost of motivation and adrenalin that we needed and i hope it's gonna be the same tonight against Serbia.

Again congratulations to the whole team.

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

I have been watcing most games. France in FIBA terms is a mediocre team, they are more of an NBA team,all athleticism,they have proved it in the last few tournaments were they have acheived little. If Greece played them in a knockout situation they would beat them.Croatia,slovenia and Serbia would also beat them in a knockout situation.Rubio's defence was great against Parker who struggles in FIBA rules,rightly so as you say because big men shut him down,where as in the NBA they can't really do that.
    France just destroyed Turkey, beating them by 15 after being led by 17. Parker was, again, excellent, I just really wonder how you can say Parker struggles with Fiba rules after so many amazing performances this summer. He'll definitely be in the best 5 of the tournament.

I completely, 100% agreed when people used to say France was overrated. We were terrible, definitely not deserving of a spot in the olympics IMO.

This era is over. This French team has cohesiveness, is playing well and with a lot of heart. The only team that's better than us is Spain, I don't think that Greek team is better than us (but with Diamantidis, Papadopoulos, etc., they might be).

If we win tomorrow, we'd have the best pourcentage of win in the tournamant, we were just unlucky to meet Spain so early. Saying we are a mediocre team is just flat out wrong, by any standard.

Oh and I'm not saying Rubio's defense wasn't good. I actually like Rubio, and he had his best game against France. But Parker is a pick and roll guy, so the big guys are really responsible for slowing him. Rubio wasn't the one who shut him down, the Gasol bros, etc were.

Lol at whoever praised Greece's depth, I just remembered Nick Calates is in the team, and he is actually playing (I doubt he plays at all next season in a stacked Panathinaikos...)

They just got destroyed by Spain; I think Turkey should've made it to the semis, and would've fared better than them.

I love Greece, and they are usually very good, but this was their B team, they definitely didn't deserve a medal IMO.

Lol at whoever praised Greece's depth, I just remembered Nick Calates is in the team, and he is actually playing (I doubt he plays at all next season in a stacked Panathinaikos...)

They just got destroyed by Spain; I think Turkey should've made it to the semis, and would've fared better than them.

I love Greece, and they are usually very good, but this was their B team, they definitely didn't deserve a medal IMO.
    Exactly, anyone who thought Kaumikglou and Kalompokis were an example of great depth is an idiot.

Spain deserved to get through as they had the superior team but Turkey would have been a much better matchup.

There's no point in arguing with Lakas Fan since he's clearly a Greek dick rider, dude probably thinks Spanoulis is better than CP3.

Spanoulis is a great player comparing to chris paul is not fair as they play in different basketball worlds. Spain has showed that no other team have their depth. Cabezas who has been poor all tournament has produced a great game today,because he has the ability to do so, that is what depth is.the fact they hadn't been producing it doesn't mean it's not there.I hope Slovenia win but Serbia have turned it around 3 up with 5 mins to go. Erazem Lorbek and Nachbar on 4 fouls.
    It will be a hell of an achievement for Serbia to beat Spain a second time.

France just destroyed Turkey, beating them by 15 after being led by 17. Parker was, again, excellent, I just really wonder how you can say Parker struggles with Fiba rules after so many amazing performances this summer. He'll definitely be in the best 5 of the tournament.

I completely, 100% agreed when people used to say France was overrated. We were terrible, definitely not deserving of a spot in the olympics IMO.

This era is over. This French team has cohesiveness, is playing well and with a lot of heart. The only team that's better than us is Spain, I don't think that Greek team is better than us (but with Diamantidis, Papadopoulos, etc., they might be).

If we win tomorrow, we'd have the best pourcentage of win in the tournamant, we were just unlucky to meet Spain so early. Saying we are a mediocre team is just flat out wrong, by any standard.

Oh and I'm not saying Rubio's defense wasn't good. I actually like Rubio, and he had his best game against France. But Parker is a pick and roll guy, so the big guys are really responsible for slowing him. Rubio wasn't the one who shut him down, the Gasol bros, etc were.
    Turkey are hosts of the world championships.France needed to win. France got blown away by Spain,they were never in the semis,Turkey lost in overtime against Greece a game they should have won. Personally thats enough for me to not look at this score too much. I still don't like France,yes more wins than anyone but I am not convinced,just my opinion.

Teodosic was huge today, Zdovk for some reason allowed him way too much room, they should have stuck him after he hit his 3rd and 4th 3. 32 points with a lot of great shots, if he can play anywhere near his level today, Olympiacos will be in great shape.

Brezec made a terrible unsportsmanlike foul. Jagodnik almost was the unsung hero after those 8 fourth quarter points.

If Erazem Lorbek stayed out of foul trouble, there is no doubt in my mind the Slovenians would have won.

As for CP3 and Spanoulis, it's not even close regardless of what role, what league, what rules, and what team they're on.
    Last edited by Grinder; 09-19-2009 at 05:42 PM.

I still don't like France
    Hey that's entirely your right There are plenty of teams I dislike, but I don't necessarily think they're mediocre.

Turkey are hosts of the world championships.France needed to win. France got blown away by Spain,they were never in the semis,Turkey lost in overtime against Greece a game they should have won.
    In that case what do you look at? The game against Spain? Sure we were dominated, but I'm pretty sure anybody would have been too.

And by the way Turkey lead by 19 at some point, so it's not like they didn't give a ****. If anything we were the ones sleeping for half of the game.

I'm not saying we're the best ****ing team ever, all I'm saying is this team is different from the previous disastrous french teams. World Champion material? No, but still better than 90% of the teams that will be in Turkey next year.

EDIT: God is censorship annoying on american boards! Do swear words make your eyes bleed?

Hey that's entirely your right There are plenty of teams I dislike, but I don't necessarily think they're mediocre.

In that case what do you look at? The game against Spain? Sure we were dominated, but I'm pretty sure anybody would have been too.

And by the way Turkey lead by 19 at some point, so it's not like they didn't give a ****. If anything we were the ones sleeping for half of the game.

I'm not saying we're the best ****ing team ever, all I'm saying is this team is different from the previous disastrous french teams. World Champion material? No, but still better than 90% of the teams that will be in Turkey next year.

EDIT: God is censorship annoying on american boards! Do swear words make your eyes bleed?
    Yep, to say Turkey wasn't trying as hard because they had an automatic bid is bs. This is the most cohesive French squad I've seen in a long time. Ali Traore and Alain Koffi are playing great, although I don't think Bokolo and Jeanneau are NT material. The best French squad IMO would be:

Tony Parker/Joseph Gomis/Antoine Diot
    Mickael Pietrus/Nando de Colo
    Nicolas Batum/Florent Pietrus
    Boris Diaw/Ali Traore/Alain Koffi
    Joakim Noah/Ronny Turiaf

Rodrigue Beaubois or Diot is a toss up.

Banned

I don't believe Parker deserves a spot on the all tournament team. You should at least make the semifinals for that.