Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Post your favorite soul-crushing, depressing songs

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven

Soul Asylum - Runaway Train

These songs were pretty big when I was in high school. I overlooked how heartbreaking these 2 songs were. Now as a parent these lyrics hit very deep
    The back story behind the Eric Clapton song is his son had crawled off a hotel balcony and died at 4

Runaway Train is written about kids who runaway from home and have resorted to drugs. They look desperately for somebody to save them and bring them out but they've become too addicted that it leads to suicide.

I guess I never became aware of this until having my son which opened my eyes to these lyrics and feel the pain of losing a child. These sons were hits when I was a teen so I really looked at these tunes as yawners, never really looked at the meaning

TheReturn - Good call on The National. The lead singer just has a voice made for those types of somber songs. I really like Cardinal Song.

The National - Cardinal Song

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Ingrid michaelson - Ghost
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Sfc4Oht9c#

It's just sad. It's also quite close to how I've felt for a while now.
    She has an amazing voice. Excellent song.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy
    Thanks for all the posts. I try to listen to everything that gets posted.

To the people that have posted songs but offered no explanation, would you care to offer one? Why does the song come across as sad? Is it the lyrics? The voice? Perhaps the sound of the instruments? Do any of the lyrics stand out or strike you as having powerful emotions behind them? Does a song remind you of a situation or person?
    Vince Staples's verse on Vicks reminds me of my adolescence.

These songs always get me all depressed and shit.

Flaw: Wait For Me
    http://youtu.be/30C149lavMo

Goo Goo Dolls: Iris
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVn...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by ihoopallday; 11-14-2013 at 03:55 AM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bano114

Nirvana- Where Did You Sleep Last Night (live)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaCzydWesVA

Haven't heard this amazing song for so long so I searched on youtube and came across this version. Goddamn look at 4:47 it's like he got possessed by the devil for a second

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcXYz0gtJeM

Thanks for all the posts. I try to listen to everything that gets posted.

To the people that have posted songs but offered no explanation, would you care to offer one? Why does the song come across as sad? Is it the lyrics? The voice? Perhaps the sound of the instruments? Do any of the lyrics stand out or strike you as having powerful emotions behind them? Does a song remind you of a situation or person?
    First, I think this is a great thread.

The song I would like to add to this thread is called "Ready for Love" by India Arie.

I recently fell in love with this song after watching the video. She sings it with so much emotion and it seems like she really means what she's singing. There's a part between 2:53 to 3:27 where she just seems so vulnerable and it makes me feel a certain way inside. I'm not even attracted to her, but the way she looks when she's speaking those words really gets to me. I just want to comfort her and give her what she wants.

I know most of the guys on here are unemotional "tough guys" but take the time to watch this video if you get the chance. It just shows how emotional women can be and how strong the feel about finding love and things like that. As a man, sometimes its good to try to see things from a woman's point of view.

-Brook

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckbrook
    First, I think this is a great thread.

The song I would like to add to this thread is called "Ready for Love" by India Arie.

I recently fell in love with this song after watching the video. She sings it with so much emotion and it seems like she really means what she's singing. There's a part between 2:53 to 3:27 where she just seems so vulnerable and it makes me feel a certain way inside. I'm not even attracted to her, but the way she looks when she's speaking those words really gets to me. I just want to comfort her and give her what she wants.

I know most of the guys on here are unemotional "tough guys" but take the time to watch this video if you get the chance. It just shows how emotional women can be and how strong the feel about finding love and things like that. As a man, sometimes its good to try to see things from a woman's point of view.

-Brook
    Thanks for the song. I think it's cool that she also plays an instrument. Seems in popular media today a lot of females in the music biz don't do that. I sort of consider them to be entertainers as opposed to actual musicians or artists.. but that's a rant for another day.

And, are you sure it's not just her voice but the combination of her voice and the look she's giving the camera during that time?

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    New favorite, thanks.

Thanks for the song. I think it's cool that she also plays an instrument. Seems in popular media today a lot of females in the music biz don't do that. I sort of consider them to be entertainers as opposed to actual musicians or artists.. but that's a rant for another day.

And, are you sure it's not just her voice but the combination of her voice and the look she's giving the camera during that time?
    It's definitely a combination of both.

-Brook