Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: Feinstein to introduce assault weapons ban bill

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    This:

These are the guns that the shooter used in Sandy Hook:

Fighting the illuminati or whatever imagined 'tyrannical' government body justifies a suburban CT mother with a disturbed child having this in her home?
    In my opinion gun owners with children, disturbed or otherwise, should make sure that those weapons aren't accessable to the children. Also, law abiding citizens shouldn't need to justify what they own or how the choose to defend themselves. If you don't like guns then don't buy any. If you have 100% trust in the government and aren't concerned about what the future might bring then good luck to you. With the entire world economy teetering on the brink of collapse I think you are being naive but to each their own.

The issue that's really at the root of these mass shootings is being ignored. Some people are either mentally ill or just plain evil. Passing laws don't affect these type of individuals. What about anti-depressants that most of these mass killers are on. What about the fact that our media makes them famous by posting their names, pictures all over the news for weeks. Bottom line if some nut is determined to kill people they will find away to do it and I'm not about to sacrifice my constitutional rights in a vain attept to try.

Made that high school varsity squad MJ23forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win

The issue that's really at the root of these mass shootings is being ignored. Some people are either mentally ill or just plain evil. Passing laws don't affect these type of individuals. What about anti-depressants that most of these mass killers are on. What about the fact that our media makes them famous by posting their names, pictures all over the news for weeks. Bottom line if some nut is determined to kill people they will find away to do it and I'm not about to sacrifice my constitutional rights in a vain attept to try.
    Gun crime happens to like .003% of Americans, honestly its not a problem like the media makes it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ23forever
    Gun crime happens to like .003% of Americans, honestly its not a problem like the media makes it out to be.
    About 3000 people got killed at once on 9/11. Liberals like Michael Moore were trying to tell us that there was no terrorist threat because the risk was statistically very small to the average American. Do you think they would apply that same logic here?

>With one shot, an off-duty sheriff

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Switzerland can have guns because they aren't a country full of people with mental health issues and socioeconomic problems. Once you fix that then maybe you can have some guns.

Just to add. I am not being totally serious here...
    Last edited by miller-time; 12-18-2012 at 04:56 AM.

First that mall CCW guy and now this, things are looking up. Of course these stories won't go national.
    So luckily his gun jammed the first time and then he shot someone later anyway. When this is a positive story FOR guns you have to be really behind the line of wrong.

Da Mavs

They go through extensive training as essentially reserves for the Swiss forces. It's not even close to the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    I really feel like I make this post every time something like this happens, but here it goes again I guess.
    If you're trying to look at the root of the problem with violence in the US, it's pretty clear to me it's not the weapons that are the origination at all. The truth is that in most cities, the crime happens in pockets. Usually the poorest parts. Access to guns isn't different, but the culture is. It is first and foremost a cultural problem, and drugs are probably the biggest single cause. I can't remember the exact number, but a huge percentage of crimes are commited by drug addicts.
    So, get better mental healthcare, try and solve the drug problem (which is somewhere in between difficult and impossible, but the US does a particularly awful job at it) and try and make some slight cultural changes.
    I do think the US is going to make some changes in the law, but mostly stupid stuff like an assault weapons ban that won't do much. I wish we could get some real change.
    I agree with what you are saying but I think the very nature of "the right to bear arms" is a cultural problem in itself. It seems to feed this ideological belief that owning guns is tantamount to breathing oxygen - when it isn't. Despite my protests to gun ownership I don't actually have anything against guns in and of themselves. But I don't think they should be available to the extent they are and I don't think they are solutions to any of the problems the pro-gun people say they are. I'd sooner give someone my TV than have to shoot them to stop them from taking it. And I think in part my belief stems from my cultural background. I think the US fascination with guns only worsens the situation they are finding themselves in today.

College star

you guys are talking total crime rate like some going on a killing spree in an elementary school is regular crime. That guy Adam Lanza lost his mind, and due to a culture of gun ownership/usage and little gun regulation, he opted for taking 3 of his weapons to a school.

Not really a problem you can solve, because 95% of this is him losing his mind.
    There is relatively strict gun regulation in Germany, but there have been killings in schools involving guns too (former student breaking into his dad's gun rack, going to his former school and killing a dozen).

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    I think you have to be from the US to understand the right to bear arms thing. Just the fact that people want to over ride one of the clearest parts of the constitution is frustrating to many people. You can't really argue for much gun control when the only real absolute law of the land clearly states you have a right to a gun.
    I really don't get this argument. The Constitution was written in a different time, and it has been, ahem, amended, many times before. Why is this untouchable? If the Constitution was left as is women wouldn't be able to vote and you could still own slaves. And here we're saying that changing what's in it would be some sort of heinous act?

Just saying.

Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

We are a nation of gun lovers.
    Plain and simple.

I get it...guns are cool. Plenty of friends who have assault weapons and pistols and I love going to the gun ranges with them to fire them off. It's a hobby for many of them. And I have thought of owning a gun or two.

I also have two kids now....I'm a Dad.
    What happen last week is deeply disturbing if you are a parent.
    So because of the age group on these boards I think few can feel me.

I don't think rifles and even hand guns should be banned....but creating and enforcing stronger and efficient gun laws is needed.

It's not the only problem at hand with this mess....we have the mental issue side to handle....but it sends the right message. And really why do we need 30 round clips? Hunting????? Sports??? Zombie attacks?????
    And we must have strict strict laws to obtain and keep firearms.
    More so them ever right now.

according to kevinNYCs thread, switzerland has one of the higher gun related murder rates in the developed world.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=284531

GUN CONTROLS AND RESULTS:

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were Rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5
    Million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and Exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a
    Total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves Were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million Political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and Exterminated

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981,
    100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and Exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and Exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one
    Million educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded Up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century Because of gun control: 56 million.