Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #76
The GM
#ballislife

The GM is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: I'm sorry but Kobe gotz the MVP on lockdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
No, I only mentioned LeBron's blocks because the guy said that the MVP isn't only about offensive stats.
The truth is that LeBron has been a pretty good defender this year, certainly not a bad one, that should keep him from being an MVP. And certainly not nearly as bad as the D of Nash and Nowitzki, the players who have won the award over the last 3 seasons.

I'm just trying to figure out what your definition of an MVP is. You say that it's not stats, but more about the record, because Kobe's team has a better record than LeBron's. Well, shouldn't the MVP be someone from Detroit or Boston then? No. And besides, the Cavs record isn't bad at all especially considering that it has a 0-7 span without LeBron. Whatever imperfections the Cavs record might have, the sheer phenomenality of LeBron's stats covers that.

I go with the definition of the voters and based on their definiton it's a elite player on one of the best teams in the league and the cavs aren't one of the best teams in the league. There's no denying lebrons stats but his team isnt blowing anyone away record wise and its a team game so you cant use that argument about him being out, there record is what it is you cant not count those 7 games his wasnt there to make a better argument for him. Lebron is having a great season but you cant deny he is playing against weaker competition on a daily basis, and dominates the ball so much that it shouldnt be surprising he has the stats he has and people wonder why him and larry hughes didnt work out not cause hughes sucked cause lebron wouldnt give up the rock unless he was getting a dime on the play. Lebron needs to work on playing without the ball in his hands like kobe is this year. kobes stats arent as good as lebrons is because of that point, we have all see what kobe can do when he dominates the ball but stats dont make up for a less then impressive record in a weaker conference because if it did then kobe would have a mvp under his belt in 05-06 but he doesnt so why should lebron win mvp this year? he shouldn't, the criteria shouldnt change for one man..

Last edited by The GM : 02-25-2008 at 03:54 PM.
The GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #77
KenneBell
What set you claim?

KenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
Well, shouldn't the MVP be someone from Detroit or Boston then? No.
They aren't in the Western Conference which is almost unanimously the toughest conference in the league. And no one on those teams is playing on Kobe's level right now.

Yes, LeBron's stats are great. They've been absolutely amazing this month but there are mroe factors that go into it than numbers.
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #78
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GM
I go with the definition of the voters and based on their definiton it's a elite player on one of the best teams in the league and the cavs aren't one of the best teams in the league. There's no denying lebrons stats but his team isnt blowing anyone away record wise and its a team game so you cant use that argument about him being out, there record is what it is you cant not count those 7 games his wasnt there to make a better argument for him. Lebron is having a great season but you cant deny he is playing against weaker competition on a daily basis, and dominates the ball so much that it shouldnt be surprising he has the stats he has and people wonder why him and larry hughes didnt work out not cause hughes sucked cause lebron wouldnt give up the rock unless he was getting a dime on the play. Lebron needs to work on playing without the ball in his hands like kobe is this year. kobes stats arent as good as lebrons is because of that point, we have all see what kobe can do when he dominates the ball but stats dont make up for a less then impressive record in a weaker conference because if it did then kobe would have a mvp under his belt in 05-06 but he doesnt so why should lebron win mvp this year? he shouldn't, the criteria shouldnt change for one man..
Let's get a few things straight, here....

No statistical season in Kobe's career has rivaled that of LeBron's this season. You have to go back to Jordan in '89 and Robertson before him to find numbers like 31/8+/7+/2+/1+ on 48% shooting. You can let ANY player in the league 'dominate the ball' every game and they aren't going to put up those numbers.

Btw, didn't KBlaze do a study on LeBron to see if he actually does 'dominate the ball' like his detractors say and it simply isn't true? He usually gets the ball and decides to pass, shoot, or go to the bucket immediately.

Larry Hughes didn't work in Cleveland because he can't shoot. It is really that simple. With a great slasher like LeBron, you need shooters to kick the ball out to. If Larry could hit an open shot, his numbers would have been phenomenal. Instead, he shot 37% from the field.

Lastly, the Cavs have as good a winning percentage against the West as they do against the East and the Lakers have a worse winning percentage against the East than they do the West.

Am I saying the East is better? No. I am saying that these 'Leastern Conference' references are more than a little inaccurate, especially in the cases of LA and Cleveland.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 02-25-2008 at 04:12 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #79
BigTicket
Cavs for life

BigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected poster

As I've said before Lebron has been the best player in the league this season, but I really have no problem with Kobe winning the MVP if he hangs on to 1st place in the West, it will be well deserved.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: