Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Gilbert Arenas charged with felony gun possession

No, Gilbert doesn't deserve jailtime IMO. A huge fine, probation and the removal of his ability to be a gun owner seems fair. But i'm not going to lose sleep over him possibly going to jail, he did something stupid and illegal (that he clearly had to know was illegal) to be funny. ANd it's not the first time he had guns illegally either. If he was some victim of circumstance, i think i'd feel worse for him - i find it hard to feel bad for someone waving a gun around like a toy because he thinks its funny.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    So its not the guns itself. Its the people who are irresponsible about guns.

Again, in Switzerland, everyone is allowed to own and even carry guns around with them. Doesn't seem to be a problem. So really its only AMERICANS who can't be trusted with gun ownership. Is that the case? Maybe that's just it then.......
    it's alot easier to police a country with the population of switzerland then it is a country with the population of the US

Yes I realize its against the law. All I'm saying is punishment should fit the crime. But I think its important to see what other societies do and question our assumptions on how "bad" certain crimes are over others.....I just don't like this reflexive groupthink that "OMG....how COULD he.....THROW THE BOOK AT HIM....PUBLIC OUTCAST....". It's like, ok, CALM DOWN everyone........
    your example was bad though. there are a million examples of sociey having different laws, different rules, sometimes warranted sometimes not.

plus this board isn't throwing the book at him, some people think he should be punished harshly, some don't. this board is notoriously forgiving of players faults, remember Marbury? There is no public lynching going on here, every thread is pretty balanced.

A Q & A with a law professor, specifically on the issue of voiding Gilbert's contract:
    Q: What kind of leverage does this give the team, if it's looking for a way to dump Gilbert's contract? Does he have to be convicted of a felony before any morals clause kicks in?

A: This is the real interesting issue, in my view. Clause 16 of the Uniform Player Contract empowers teams to void contracts and is vaguely worded to include not only criminal behavior, but behavior that is immoral. It has been seldom used, however (a recent example was the Celtics using it to terminate Vin Baker's contract, and that wasn't entirely successful, since it lead to a financial settlement with Baker).

Hypothetically, if the Wizards terminate Arenas' contract through Clause 16, the Players Association will vehemently object and file a grievance, which will be heard by an independent arbitrator.

Latrell Sprewell (with the Players' Association help) was able to get his contract with the Warriors reinstated, even though he chocked a coach, which is arguably worse than what Arenas did. Bottom line: if Arenas contract can be voided, think about what teams will do with other controversial players who have long-term, lucrative contracts.
    Link

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by kkling
    Not funny anymore is it, Gil?
    It never was dude.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
    Hopefully he gets the maximum.
    Why you want that. Gil is not a bad guy.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    Dude are you purposely not getting it, to annoy people?

No, hes just not getting it because hes just that stupid.

I'd love to see that fool to go to school or work tomorrow, lay four guns on a chair, and see what happens.

"but, your honor, they weren't loaded, whats the problem here?"

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease thejusman1's Avatar

They should work out a creative solution, because Gil's rich and might not even see prison time, let alone a maximum sentence. Make him start a charity for gun victims, get him to talk to inner-city classrooms, etc etc. I wouldn't want my tax dollars paying to keep him jailed either.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    A Q & A with a law professor, specifically on the issue of voiding Gilbert's contract:

Link
    I find this ridiculous. CEOs and top executives get their contracts voided (they get fired) all the time. What makes professional athletes above all this? If there is a clause in the contract when players screw up, the team should have the option to use it. It's like athletes are in this protective bubble separated from the real world. Accountants and lawyers **** up and they lose their designation.... anyways it is just frustrating to see someone take for granted their gift and ability to make millions.

I've heard that he won't see jail time? Is this correct? So worst case he does some community service and gets to play pro ball again next year? I am curious to know what would happen to an 'average' person in this situation.

Wow. Hope he doesnt go to Jail but looks like the Wizard caught a break 4 the future if they had void his terrible contract

I agree with Charles when he said yes Gil should be punished but no it shouldn't be a copout for the Wiz to be able to void his horrible contract.

Local High School Star Alhazred's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    I agree with Charles when he said yes Gil should be punished but no it shouldn't be a copout for the Wiz to be able to void his horrible contract.
    You know... I have to disagree. I understand that Gil was obviously just being stupid, but truth be told I wouldn't want an employee who brought firearms into work, loaded or not, so I'm siding with the Wizard's front office on this.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    i don't see it as a copout...if arenas can't play for the wiz due to his stupidity that's his problem not the wizards, the wizards offered him a contract to play basketball, if arenas cannot fulfill his end of the bargain because of this i see no reason whatsoever that the wizards should be forced to uphold their end of the contract.

Good High School Starter

Why not read up on Switzerland, like I said. People carry guns AROUND with them. It's perfectly legal. And the crime rate is low. Something to think about it.
    I'll do that. I'll also consider the fact that I've lived there.

In Switzerland, you have to have a permit to carry a gun. Most average people aren't rolling around town packing. Only if they're serving military service.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by 33teeth
    I'll do that. I'll also consider the fact that I've lived there.

In Switzerland, you have to have a permit to carry a gun. Most average people aren't rolling around town packing. Only if they're serving military service.

what is the punishment for being found to have a gun without having a permit?