Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #181
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: UFC 145 Jon "Bones" Jones vs "Sugar" Rashad Evans LHW Championship 4/21/12

Evans did much better than I expected. Mucho respect.

And I want to see Jones vs. Silva. I'll take Silva because of his incredible strike accuracy... but that would be an amazing fight either way.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #182
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: UFC 145 Jon "Bones" Jones vs "Sugar" Rashad Evans LHW Championship 4/21/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
Who besides Gustaffson can possibly be considered the next #1 contender after Hendo? I don't get it as there's really no one else.

I'm guessing Gustaffson will get Bader next.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #183
Edwin
Serious playground baller

Edwin is considered somewhat coolEdwin is considered somewhat cool

White said that Gustafsson's next fight is a fight for the #1 contender, but I don't think a fight with Bader would be a #1 contender fight. Bader hasn't done much recently, except for the win over Rampage to be a #1 contender. Before that Bader even got submitted by Tito Ortiz who hasn't been a relevant Light Heavyweight in years. Gustafsson hasn't really fought any top ranked Light Heavyweight for him to be considered someone who is on the same level as Jones. I would prefer Gustafsson fight someone like Machida or Shogun instead of Bader, who aren't fighters who are exactly on a big fight win streaks, but are known fighters, former champions, who are still important and thought of highly in the Light Heavyweight division. Plus a win over Machida or Shogun would be a much more impressive than a win over Bader.

I would pick Jones in a fight over any fighter in MMA, except some Heavyweights and even still I think he'd be able to beat some Heavyweight like Mir. I think Jones has the wrestling and ground & pound to be beat Anderson Silva. Remember Anderson struggles when he's fighting wrestlers, they're his biggest weakness as he struggles in wrestling like a lot of Brazilian fighters and Jones reach would be something that Jones would use to keep Anderson at a distance before taking him and down and ground & pound. I think Jones would probably move up and fight at Heavyweight before Anderson moves up to Light Heavyweight for a fight with Jones. I think Anderson would have to give Anderson a huge paycheck to convince him to move up to Light Heavyweight to fight Jones. It would still be the biggest fight in MMA history in my opinion. We'll see. I'm curious to hear some thoughts from you guys on this subject of Anderson vs. Jones and how do you think a fight between them would end if it ever got to occur.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #184
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Anderson and Jones have no interest in fighting each other AFAIK. Anderson in particular has absolutely zip to gain. Unless there's a major change of heart, I do not ever expect to see that fight happen.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #185
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputationAlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
But Fedor ten years ago hadn't been tested. He was winning fights against a bunch of lackluster opponents. Jones has already beaten the best in the division handily. Jones>Fedor.

10 years ago the UFC's heavyweight Champions were 2 guy's that Fedor Merked...

Arlovski and Sylvia
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #186
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24

Arlovski and Sylvia
I actually went over Fedors list of notable wins

and only

Big Nog
Randelman
Crocop
Coleman are the big wins

next would be Herring

and ofcourse the most recent were Arlovski and Sylvia.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #187
Godzuki
NBA All-star

Godzuki has an OK reputation so far

i think this fight showed just how impossible it is to fight Jones, since you never can rest because his strike zone is so huge. where as he can generally very easily avoid the opponents strike zone. Rashad couldn't do shit, despite fighting that fight as best he could. each time he went in his right would get locked up while throwing it. and Jones saw most of it coming a mile away....

and Rashad had to stay on guard all 5 rounds no matter where he was in that ring. Its likie he could've been hit at any moment if he rested even a little...reach means so much where Jones dominates with it.

Also those elbow punches were ridiculous. its even hard to blame Rashad for putting his hands out there with Jones since with almost everyone you do that with you know you got his hands tied up at least, but Jones elbows/reach is so long he can come over with his elbows punches even if you got his hands wrapped up.

only way i can see Jones losing is a really off night or just being caught, but can't see anyone legitimately beating him where you can say that other person is better. Not even Silva...

Last edited by Godzuki : 04-23-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #188
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

ClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
only way i can see Jones losing is a really off night or just being caught, but can't see anyone legitimately beating him where you can say that other person is better. Not even Silva...

if Jones were to fight AS, he'd win due to his size/wrestling/GNP.

Jones would have no chance on the feet, he'd get tooled in the striking department, realize that he's at a major disadvantage, and quickly take the fight to the ground where he'd win from there.

AS is by far and away the most technical, accurate, and most dangerous striker in MMA, and if Jones were to stand w/ him the whole fight, he'd get KO'd.
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #189
TheSilentKiller
NBA All-star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24

Arlovski and Sylvia

Not too high on either of those guys. I just think that Jones now is at a different level than Fedor was in their respective weight classes.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #190
Godzuki
NBA All-star

Godzuki has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
if Jones were to fight AS, he'd win due to his size/wrestling/GNP.

Jones would have no chance on the feet, he'd get tooled in the striking department, realize that he's at a major disadvantage, and quickly take the fight to the ground where he'd win from there.

AS is by far and away the most technical, accurate, and most dangerous striker in MMA, and if Jones were to stand w/ him the whole fight, he'd get KO'd.

i just don't know about that since Jones reach imo is longer than Silva's. I think they'd both be sort of weary of the other striking and both playing it real cautious. Jones just seems to me he'd have a longer strike zone than Silva's even if Silva has a huge strike zone already. Silva is probably quicker but Jones ain't no slouch either with his kick speed.

i'd love to see it, but i never get my hopes high with dream fight match ups since they rarely seem to happen.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #191
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

ClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
i just don't know about that since Jones reach imo is longer than Silva's. I think they'd both be sort of weary of the other striking and both playing it real cautious. Jones just seems to me he'd have a longer strike zone than Silva's even if Silva has a huge strike zone already. Silva is probably quicker but Jones ain't no slouch either with his kick speed.

i'd love to see it, but i never get my hopes high with dream fight match ups since they rarely seem to happen.

AS is not Rampage, Shogun, or Rashad in terms of strikers. He's in a whole different league.

Jones is a good striker because of his versatility (unpredictability) and range. But he is not the most technical nor the hardest hitting striker. And Jones biggest flaw in his standup game is the worst one to have when you fight someone like AS. Jones leaves openings. You leave openings against AS and its lights out.

Silva is much quicker, has much better defensive technique, and is MUCH more accurate (when he throws he lands). Silva's strikes are also more devastating.

Jones would try to stand w/ AS, get rocked a couple times, and would then proceed to take AS down (either by clinch throw, double leg etc) and finish him off w/ hellbows.

Anyhow, this fight would never happen. Jones is 24, AS is 37 and has too much to lose.
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #192
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
Not too high on either of those guys. I just think that Jones now is at a different level than Fedor was in their respective weight classes.
You have to note that Fedor always had size disadvantage, while Jones has huge size advantage.
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #193
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
You have to note that Fedor always had size disadvantage, while Jones has huge size advantage.
exactly. short, pudgy and easily cut. fedor wasn't great because he had all the advantages that jones has. fedor was great because of what he did despite his disadvantages.

BTW, excellent analysis, godzuki. i think you really nailed the jones - evans dynamic. jones has stepped up his use of standing elbows, and its terrifying. his elbow strikes are basically the same length as other fighters' full reach shots.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #194
shallehalle
High School Varsity 12th Man

shallehalle has decent reputationshallehalle has decent reputation

anyone has a highlight video from the fight?? can't find any legit on youtube
shallehalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #195
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
White said that Gustafsson's next fight is a fight for the #1 contender, but I don't think a fight with Bader would be a #1 contender fight. Bader hasn't done much recently, except for the win over Rampage to be a #1 contender.

Bader has won 2 in a row while everyone else is coming off a loss.

Quote:
I would prefer Gustafsson fight someone like Machida or Shogun instead of Bader, who aren't fighters who are exactly on a big fight win streaks, but are known fighters, former champions, who are still important and thought of highly in the Light Heavyweight division.

Machida is 1-3 in his last 4 fights, and he's coming off a title shot. I only see 4 opponents that make any real sense:

Shogun
Bader
Davis
Lil Nog

Last edited by Jackass18 : 04-23-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: