Ndudi Ebi
    Malik Hairston
    Robert Swift
    Gerald Green
    Javaris Crittenton
    Bill Walker
    Telfair (I agree)
    BJ Mullens

Those were all top 10 guys coming out of HS.

Not airballing my layups anymore FormerSunsFan's Avatar

Default Re: Most Overrated Recruits Of All-Time

Harrison Barnes

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AxionJaxion
    Greg Paulus
    Rick Rickert
    Josh McRoberts
    Sebastian Telfair
    Shavlik Randolph
    Brian Zoubek

There's a few to start off with . . .
    Such a weird, stupid list.

Where to start with this?

First off, Rick Rickert? He was a pretty good college player who made a mistake in coming out after his sophomore year. He was Big Ten Freshman of the Year and averaged over 15 ppg for two seasons. There's a difference between making a mistake in coming out too early and being one of the most overrated recruits of all time. What an incredibly odd choice. How about looking just a few spots down from where he was ranked in the 2001 RSCI: Carlos Hurt and Jonathan Hargett, a couple of point guards who received a ton of hype that year and never did a thing.

Second, anyone who makes it to the NBA is more or less immediately disqualified from this discussion. That isn't to say that Randolph and McRoberts weren't overrated, but they're nowhere near any "most overrated all-time" list. OK, maybe Randolph. He did nothing.

Third, it's like you decided to rip on a bunch of overhyped white guys from Duke and threw in a couple more names just to make it seem less obvious. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with ripping on overrated white guys from Duke. But if that's what you want to do, how about Chris Burgess? Paulus was certainly overrated but was a four-year starter. Zoubek was a very valuable member of a national champion and one of the three or four best rebounders in college basketball last year. McRoberts was pretty good as a sophomore and made it to the NBA.

Seriously, was this just thinly veiled Duke hate? Because there's no reason to name Paulus without naming someone like, say, Kelvin Torbert from Michigan State. He was the No. 2 player in the 2001 class and while he became a decent college player, he was never a full-time starter, never averaged 10 ppg and didn't come anywhere near making the NBA. Paulus wasn't even a Top 10 recruit by any major service. And Zoubek was only No. 25 in the 2006 RSCI.

Fourth, I think it's hard to gauge how "overrated" guys who skipped college were. How well a guy adjusts to being a professional as a teenager with no college experience and whether or not he was properly rated as a high school prospect are two different things.
    Last edited by TheGame414; 07-25-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FormerSunsFan
    Harrison Barnes
    ??? I don't get it.

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    Those guys were pretty much all great college players. How about:

Ndudi Ebi
    Malik Hairston
    Robert Swift
    Gerald Green
    Javaris Crittenton
    Bill Walker
    Telfair (I agree)
    BJ Mullens

Those were all top 10 guys coming out of HS.
    Bill Walker is easily one of them. The guy was the product of OJ Mayo. OJ made him look like a top 10 player in the country. I remember when they were #1 and #2 overall recruits in their class of 2007 in 2006. Then Oj maintained his #1 ranking where Walker fall to 8th. Then Mayo was the 3rd pick and runner up to rookie of the year, plays for Team USA, and was arguably the 2nd best player in today's Team USA showcase. Walker was a 2nd rounder who went to the D-League.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

LOL @ some of these names being mentioned.

Dunking on everybody in the park Court Vision's Avatar

Lack of NBA success does not make someone an overrated college player. LOL @ some of these posts.

Telfair would have flourished under Pitino had he decided to attend. Same thing with Ebi at Arizona (he was headed to Zona, right?). Gerald Green, same thing and so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba
    Bill Walker is easily one of them. The guy was the product of OJ Mayo. OJ made him look like a top 10 player in the country. I remember when they were #1 and #2 overall recruits in their class of 2007 in 2006. Then Oj maintained his #1 ranking where Walker fall to 8th. Then Mayo was the 3rd pick and runner up to rookie of the year, plays for Team USA, and was arguably the 2nd best player in today's Team USA showcase. Walker was a 2nd rounder who went to the D-League.
    This thread is getting dumber. And it started out really stupid.

Did Walker turn out to be the next Vince Carter like he was hyped as? No, but that sure as hell doesn't put him anywhere near the top of the list of overrated recruits. He was a pretty good college player, averaging 16.1 points and 6.3 rebounds in '07-'08 and fell out of lottery consideration because of a third knee injury. And he played the last 27 games in the NBA last year after spending most of the year in the D-League, averaging 12 ppg.

That makes him one of the most overrated recruits ever? Maybe if he'd been the No. 1 recruit in his class and was receiving LeBron-type hype, sure. But as you said yourself, he was barely a Top 10 recruit by the time he was a senior. Who cares what they were ranked when they were younger? If that's your logic, then you should've had Derrick Caracter instead. He was once the No. 1 prospect in the 2006 class, ahead of Oden and Durant. But picking him wouldn't let you verbally fellate O.J. Mayo by proxy, would it?

He was a good- but not great- college player and played in the NBA, thus normally negating him from consideration, but for a guy who was hyped similarly to LeBron several years before LeBron, for a guy who was supposed to be the next Jordan....how about Felipe Lopez? But that's the problem with this thread. How do you gauge how "overrated" a guy was as opposed to there simply being ridiculous expectations placed upon someone when they're still a kid?

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AxionJaxion
    Greg Paulus
    Rick Rickert
    Josh McRoberts
    Sebastian Telfair
    Shavlik Randolph
    Brian Zoubek

There's a few to start off with . . .
    so, you hate duke? All those cats were decent in college (except for randolph, who never really got a chance before he gave up).

Quote Originally Posted by FormerSunsFan
    Well, Harrison Barnes is like a future bust in the making. Like when I first saw him play he had bust written all over him. Something was missing.

Kind of like the first time I saw Lebron play in High School. I wasn't moved at all. "Really, KING James," I said. To me, Lebron didn't have "IT." Something was missing. And for seven years I looked like a fool. But after "The Decision" I feel redeemed. He doesn't have "IT." But I digress...

Harrison Barnes just looks like a guy. He reminds me of Marvin Williams or even a Joe Smith, not special at all--not top recruits, not top 3 draft picks.

The UNC teams of the mid/late 90s had Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison. And Antawn Jamison was the prized recruit and leader of the team--the guy who got all the hype. But as it turned out, Vince Carter was the star.

He looked the part. Harrison doesn't look the part. Only time will tell, but I'm calling my shot right now.
    should I delete this trash?

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Please do.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Dunking on everybody in the park Court Vision's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    This thread is getting dumber. And it started out really stupid.

Did Walker turn out to be the next Vince Carter like he was hyped as? No, but that sure as hell doesn't put him anywhere near the top of the list of overrated recruits. He was a pretty good college player, averaging 16.1 points and 6.3 rebounds in '07-'08 and fell out of lottery consideration because of a third knee injury. And he played the last 27 games in the NBA last year after spending most of the year in the D-League, averaging 12 ppg.

That makes him one of the most overrated recruits ever? Maybe if he'd been the No. 1 recruit in his class and was receiving LeBron-type hype, sure. But as you said yourself, he was barely a Top 10 recruit by the time he was a senior. Who cares what they were ranked when they were younger? If that's your logic, then you should've had Derrick Caracter instead. He was once the No. 1 prospect in the 2006 class, ahead of Oden and Durant. But picking him wouldn't let you verbally fellate O.J. Mayo by proxy, would it?

He was a good- but not great- college player and played in the NBA, thus normally negating him from consideration, but for a guy who was hyped similarly to LeBron several years before LeBron, for a guy who was supposed to be the next Jordan....how about Felipe Lopez? But that's the problem with this thread. How do you gauge how "overrated" a guy was as opposed to there simply being ridiculous expectations placed upon someone when they're still a kid?
    Great post.

As far as Felipe Lopez goes, it's even hard to declare him a bust I suppose. Ridiculous expectations were placed on him (SI cover before playing a game is one) , but regardless, he was a 4 year Big East starter, while averaging 17/6/3, great college numbers.

It is pretty difficult to find a true college bust. So much BS goes into the HS rankings that you have to take it all with a grain of salt. Just because one website ranks someone #1, does not mean they are truly the best player in the country.

One guy I can think of is Jawann McClellan. He was top 20 in 2004, McD AA, but never even broke double digit PPG while at 'Zona.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    Such a weird, stupid list.

Your jealousy is sad.

First off, Rick Rickert? He was a pretty good college player who made a mistake in coming out after his sophomore year. He was Big Ten Freshman of the Year and averaged over 15 ppg for two seasons. There's a difference between making a mistake in coming out too early and being one of the most overrated recruits of all time. What an incredibly odd choice. How about looking just a few spots down from where he was ranked in the 2001 RSCI: Carlos Hurt and Jonathan Hargett, a couple of point guards who received a ton of hype that year and never did a thing.
    Rick Rickert was portrayed by some as a combo of Kikki Vandeweghe and Larry Bird. Get your head out of your azz.

Second, anyone who makes it to the NBA is more or less immediately disqualified from this discussion. That isn't to say that Randolph and McRoberts weren't overrated, but they're nowhere near any "most overrated all-time" list. OK, maybe Randolph. He did nothing.

That's idiotic. McRoberts was a puss and Randolph flat sucked. Furthermore, it's not like they were playing against the best recruits in college, either. Those guys were going pro instead of enrolling at Ol' State U.
    Third, it's like you decided to rip on a bunch of overhyped white guys from Duke and threw in a couple more names just to make it seem less obvious. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with ripping on overrated white guys from Duke. But if that's what you want to do, how about Chris Burgess? Paulus was certainly overrated but was a four-year starter. Zoubek was a very valuable member of a national champion and one of the three or four best rebounders in college basketball last year. McRoberts was pretty good as a sophomore and made it to the NBA.

It had absolutely nothing to do with "white guys" or "Duke." Your injection of race into a topic in which it has no place is a sad indicator of your true colors. Those are the players who came to mind. I didn't want to list 20-30, so as to spark discussion and let others add names. It wasn't meant for an envious, zelotic blowhard like you to start a confrontation. I'm actually a fan of Duke and greatly respect coach K. Pure coincidence, I guess. Why couldn't you have simply added Burgess and the few others you mentioned earlier without trying to one-up me? I'll tell you why: jealousy. Paulus was the friggin' number 1 PG in the country by some folks. He was so flat terrible, K replaced him with an underclassman before the year was out.

Seriously, was this just thinly veiled Duke hate? Because there's no reason to name Paulus without naming someone like, say, Kelvin Torbert from Michigan State. He was the No. 2 player in the 2001 class and while he became a decent college player, he was never a full-time starter, never averaged 10 ppg and didn't come anywhere near making the NBA. Paulus wasn't even a Top 10 recruit by any major service. And Zoubek was only No. 25 in the 2006 RSCI.
    Again, why not just add Tolbert? Why try to paint me as a Duke hater?
    See bold, bonehead.