Page 39 of 91 FirstFirst ... 29363738394041424989 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2011/12 Observation Deck

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Agree, but he's just a freshman. He'll be fine. He won't be guarding too many 7'0" 250+ centers in the NBA either.
    But the more physical powerforwards in the NBA are ~250.

Ummm...foul? Henson got hit in the arm, ref.

All of the lights.... ballsohard247's Avatar

Nice to see Wiltjer get some minutes. He has some pretty hook shots. That last foul by Barnes was . He has to know he is too important to commit a foul like that.

Marshall's been getting the Tar Heels some great looks from 3, which has been the huge difference maker in this game thus far. I can't imagine how much more lethal UNC would be from the perimeter had Leslie McDonald been healthy.

Terrence Jones was outstanding in the first half, really showcasing his complete offensive game. He's always reminded me a bit of a lefty Al Harrington. He really took it to Henson towards the end of the first half.

Gilchrist's motor is amazing, the guy never takes a possession off on either end of the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3
    But the more physical powerforwards in the NBA are ~250.
    Yes, but aren't those in the minority? And I'm not disagreeing. Davis, like Henson, has to add weight and get stronger. Davis, though, has better quickness than Henson, and that, coupled with his length, could allow him to defend some NBA SF's.

Yes, but aren't those in the minority? And I'm not disagreeing. Davis, like Henson, has to add weight and get stronger. Davis, though, has better quickness than Henson, and that, coupled with his length, could allow him to defend some NBA SF's.
    Davis is going to have trouble guarding 6"9 decently strong power forwards if he doesn't put on a significant amount of strength. Guys like Nene will eat him alive.

But, I suspect he will add the muscle and strength do do at least an adaquete job down there. People are oft comparing him to Garnett and Camby but they forget that both were taller and possibly longer.

Yeah, but if he wants to be one of the best (which he certainly has the potential for) he has to be able to guard the best, and those include Amar'e and Griffin.

Davis has a frame that can comfortably add more weight and strength without compromising his athleticism. He's got wider shoulders and a broader frame than Henson. Frailty of frame is more of concern for Henson than Davis.

PJ Hairston's been the huge X-factor in this game so far. Kid can really shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Davis is going to have trouble guarding 6"9 decently strong power forwards if he doesn't put on a significant amount of strength. Guys like Nene will eat him alive.

But, I suspect he will add the muscle and strength do do at least an adaquete job down there. People are oft comparing him to Garnett and Camby but they forget that both were taller and possibly longer.
    I don't disagree with any of that. But isn't Garnett 7'0" with about a 7'5" wingspan and Camby 6'11" with a similar wingspan? If John Henson has a 7'4" wingspan than I imagine Davis has at least that, and he's listed at 6'11". I honestly think he would be better served, like Henson, to comeback at least one more year so he can add weight and strength, but he's quite a bit better as a freshman than Henson was.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

What a great game

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Davis has a frame that can comfortably add more weight and strength without compromising his athleticism. He's got wider shoulders and a broader frame than Henson. Frailty of frame is more of concern for Henson than Davis.

PJ Hairston's been the huge X-factor in this game so far. Kid can really shoot.
    And he was supposed to be questionable coming into the game. He sprained his wrist against Wisconsin.

I love Roy Williams but don't understand his substitution patterns sometimes. He's been very quick to yank Hairston or Bullock this year after they've gone on a scoring tear. I know they're young inexperienced players but, when you're hot, you're hot.

I don't disagree with any of that. But isn't Garnett 7'0" with about a 7'5" wingspan and Camby 6'11" with a similar wingspan? If John Henson has a 7'4" wingspan than I imagine Davis has at least that, and he's listed at 6'11". I honestly think he would be better served, like Henson, to comeback at least one more year so he can add weight and strength, but he's quite a bit better as a freshman than Henson was.
    Whatever Henson may lack strength-wise he makes up for in defensive instincts and timing. You can't teach the kind of timing Henson has. Davis is the same way.

Zeller looks poorly coached on those doubles...

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Davis isn't coming back for a 2nd year. No way in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    Davis isn't coming back for a 2nd year. No way in hell.
    Agree. Kentucky is One And Done University because of the level of talent they get, I doubt Jones would have stayed last year if there wasn't the threat of NBA lockout.