Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    LOL

You know me so well because I like Apple products,

I tried adding some quick tidbits for fun, whoopee!!! I still made my main point, it isn't what ya'll say it is. This groundbreaking revolutionary show. That my friend was the Sopranos, Simpsons, Twilight Zone to name a few.

None of the characters are original.
    None of the plot lines are original.

As some mentioned on another thread, this is a plot driven show. They touch briefly on some of the character's lives, they attempt to do some character analysis but it's just that…. a touch. Given, only so much you can cover on a show with such a large cast, but this show is primarily plot driven.

A plot that's been done to death before, with characters that have existed before. Done well I agree, but when doing a show such as this introduce something different.

You want an analysis?

Howabout all of the characters being paper cut out cliches.

A cop that has morals and is driven to crack the case but is filled with personal issues
    A drug dealer with a heart
    Cops tired of their jobs
    Corrupt cops
    Corrupt higher level officials
    The wise old cop that solves crimes

Etc.etc. seriously, if I continue to analyze the shit outta this show I'll continue to expose it. And to top it off, they're linear characters with little to no arc (so far), almost all of them are very predictable.
    None of this sounds like the show at all. Literally none of it. Thus thread is stupid. (Yes i know if you take some of the characters are take 1 facet of them you can call them CORRUPT COP but no one is the CORRUPT COP in the way they'd be in a simplistic network show.)

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    you've only watched the first season??

this is the equivalent of walking out of a good movie after 20 minutes and then complaining to your friends who saw the whole thing

shut up and watch the rest of it
    This is fair, I'll concede.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    None of this sounds like the show at all. Literally none of it. Thus thread is stupid. (Yes i know if you take some of the characters are take 1 facet of them you can call them CORRUPT COP but no one is the CORRUPT COP in the way they'd be in a simplistic network show.)

Then you missed the first season.

Thread abuser

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I could've guessed that without even opening the thread, just knowing who the OP is.

Banned

Another week, or a month, and you'll be right back here telling everyone how super fantastic The Wire is. You'll tell the world how rich and technically mindblowing the show is. That's your exit strategy.

You need to look back on this first season with contempt. That's the most important thing to remember here. It will separate your fine taste from the lot of these crude wire fans. This should be easy for you since you're already doing it towards Raidohead fans who like the song Creep.

Solid thread this has become.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

only watched the first season? you haven't even seen some of the best characters yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stempel, HERB
    Another week, or a month, and you'll be right back here telling everyone how super fantastic The Wire is. You'll tell the world how rich and technically mindblowing the show is. That's your exit strategy.

You need to look back on this first season with contempt. That's the most important thing to remember here. It will separate your fine taste from the lot of these crude wire fans. This should be easy for you since you're already doing it towards Raidohead fans who like the song Creep.
    And I'll have no problem stating that much. I'm not afraid to say that I'm wrong.

It was premature to make this thread after the 1st season, but I truly felt let down. I can't remember being pulled into the show and awed, which is something that's clearly happened with other shows in their first season.

Again, not that it was bad, it was good, just not GOAT worthy.

Learning to shoot layups Master Templar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    BB has some shaky writing but even then, it's better than Wire.
    Absolutely not. If any of the shows that are considered upper echelon is overrated, it's easily Breaking Bad. The characters are paper thin and one dimensional (outside of Walt and maybe Jesse), the plot is so contrived and relies way too much on deus ex machina and coincidence, the dialogue is choppy and gets annoying (Jesse finishes every damn sentence with 'BITCH!'... and he says like how I spelled it ), everything is so terribly predictable too.

Shit, the acting on BB alone trumps anything on Wire, with ease.
    Idris Elba and Andre Royo>>>>>>anyone on BB not named Bryan Cranston.

Omar being the scariest character on Wire
    Omar was not meant to be 'scary'

He's a multidimensional, fleshed out character. Not a one note caricature like these wonderfully written 'scary' characters:

If you think the first season of the Wire is overrated, fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But don't bring up Breaking Bad as a counter example

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Solid thread this has become.

classic

Howabout all of the characters being paper cut out cliches.
    Name a single cop show that has ever given so much screen time to drug dealers and validated their point of view like the Wire has. And the cops are paper cutouts? Seriously? You should be forced to turn in your avatar because people might mistake you for someone with taste.

Don't even watch the second season. You don't deserve Ziggy.

Banned

[QUOTE=LJJ][FONT=Arial]I could have predicted Andgar

I hate threads like this. Take something popular then try to meh it. I never got into Seinfeld given how popular of a following that show has. The humor from the episodes I forced myself to watch just didnt grab me. Too dry, stupid. But I cant bash the show or argue its not great. Never gave the show much of a chance given a couple episodes I saw. Funny part is I love Curb your Enthusiasm .

Anyway, saying The Wire is overrated is flat out dumb.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

It's curious the way people are so eager to conform to the opinions of others.

The Wire is the GOAT show. It really is as good as it is often made out to be. The acting is great, and the writing is incredible.

I see no legitimacy in any of andgar's complaints.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Coming from a guy that's a huge fan of the overrated shit band Radiohead.