Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star robert_shaww's Avatar

Default Tim Duncan is a great player, but top 10 of all-time? Not in my book

Off the top of my head I'd take Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaquille O'Neal, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Oscar Robertson, kobe Bryant and Hakeem Olajuwon ahead of Duncan. There's a quick 10 without as much as a three-second violation.

Nothing against Duncan, but you could also give me Jerry West, LeBron James, Julius Erving, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Bob Cousy, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone and Kevin McHale. Oh, and let's not forget Bob Pettit, Moses Malone, John Stockton and Isiah Thomas.

Except for 2001-02 when he scored 25.5 points per game, Duncan has always averaged between 18 and 22 points per game. Maybe it's the lack of flair in his game.

Gregg Popovich, after someone asked him about Duncan as a top-10 player Of all time:

"I think in some ways he suffers from the small market, with the pop culture and all that. It's nice that some people rank him that high, but we've had a lot of great players in this league.''
    Last edited by robert_shaww; 05-20-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Ish ROY 2014

Default Re: Tim Duncan is a great player, but top 10 of all-time? Not in my book

Agreed OP

Default Re: Tim Duncan is a great player, but top 10 of all-time? Not in my book

Fine. Your opinion but most would disagree with it.

Duncan is top 10 all-time and is known as greatest PF ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold soul
    Duncan is top 10 all-time and is known as greatest PF ever.
    As a lifelong Spurs fan, I think Tim Duncan is one of the most overrated players in NBA history. He

Banned

Bill Russell played in a league of 8 teams and had a playoffs of 2 rounds...

can we quit the circle jerk around him and wilt please?

and last time, i checked, defense is 50% of the game. duncan is among the greatest defensive anchors of all time... of ALL TIME

rebounds, points, blocks, greatest winner of all time

we can go stats or we can go intangibles, anyway u slice it

Quote Originally Posted by onhcetum
    Bill Russell played in a league of 8 teams and had a playoffs of 2 rounds...

can we quit the circle jerk around him and wilt please?
    circle jerk?

russell won 11 rings, 2 rounds, 3 rounds my ass...11 rings. chamberlain average 50 points per game in 62.

Tim Duncan
    Career Averages of 20 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 3 apg and 2 bpg
    4x NBA Champ
    3 Finals MVPs
    2x NBA MVP
    14x All-Star
    1 NBA-All Star Game MVP
    10x All-NBA 1st Team
    3x All-NBA 2nd Team
    1x All-NBA 3rd Team
    8x All-NBA Defensive 1st Team
    6x All-NBA Defensive 2nd Team
    Rookie of the Year
    All-Rookie 1st Team
    Also, his career averages in the playoffs are 21.6 ppg, 11.7 rpg, 3 apg, 2.4 bpg

How the hell does that not make him a Top 10 player ever. The guy has a monster resume. He's been consistently elite, if not, good for his whole career and he's been playing since 1997. That's 17 years of consistency.

If you don't think Tim Duncan is top 10 then he should be atleast top 11 on your all-time list.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Tim Duncan is a great player, but top 10 of all-time? Not in my

Tim Duncan is easily a top 10 player all time, I personally have him ranked seventh or eight all-time, and anyone suggesting that he isn't must be critiquing him off of what they have seen over the last few years as his skills have begun to diminish with age, which would be akin to ranking Abdul-Jabbar on his play in the mid to late 80s versus his prime.

But I would also say that he is getting helped by being coached by the greatest coach in the NBA, possibly in all of North American sports, and that has helped prolong his career and add to his legacy.

But regardless, of course, he's a top 10 all-time player.
    Last edited by SOD 21; 05-20-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    Tim Duncan
    Career Averages of 20 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 3 apg and 2 bpg
    4x NBA Champ
    3 Finals MVPs
    2x NBA MVP
    14x All-Star
    1 NBA-All Star Game MVP
    10x All-NBA 1st Team
    3x All-NBA 2nd Team
    1x All-NBA 3rd Team
    8x All-NBA Defensive 1st Team
    6x All-NBA Defensive 2nd Team
    Rookie of the Year
    All-Rookie 1st Team
    Also, his career averages in the playoffs are 21.6 ppg, 11.7 rpg, 3 apg, 2.4 bpg

How the hell does that not make him a Top 10 player ever. The guy has a monster resume. He's been consistently elite, if not, good for his whole career and he's been playing since 1997. That's 17 years of consistency.

If you don't think Tim Duncan is top 10 then he should be atleast top 11 on your all-time list.
    he is around 13-15 in my book. ( i have a book....700 pages)

i dont know where i would put him by rank, but i agree with you that he is overrated since many many years. his peak was from 99-03. Medium-skilled from 03-05. 05-14----> third best player on his own team

his defense so way overrated, it is solid but just overrated. 90 % of his baskets are easy layups, easy rebounds cause only near the rim. he is waiting for the assist from parker, ginobili and get the uncontested shot at least since 08, maybe earlier.

he is profiting from parker, ginobili, popovic etc. for any clutch-situations there is ginobili or parker or another one of his super stacked team. but honestly, how could you choke, if you arent the go to guy? how could you choke with 2 feet from the basket? popovic is a genius and has the super stackedteam. duncan can rest since his mvp year, its ridiculous. never had to carry a team for 16 years by his own shoulder (like dirk). if yo look how may rest he get, he MUST (yea must, not can, could etc. he MUST) play at his level right now at least for 2-3 years, cause its by far not comparable with the exhausting and tough Dirk-Play for example.

td is a nice, humble and down-to-earth guy, but "his" achieves are very very depending on how good parker, ginobili etc are playing.

05 and 07 parker FMVP. 99 ring is a joke, so i give 03 to duncan.

This gimmick is still going?

Banned

At least the title of this thread is something different for once, still, OPs gimmick has jumped the shark

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Tim seems as if he always paced himself in the regular season and often didnt play crazy minutes. Look at his playoff stats if you want to see more of his impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Black and White
    At least the title of this thread is something different for once, still, OPs gimmick has jumped the shark
    dwade = 0 titles alone

dwade + refs = 1 title

dwade + bosh + bron + refs = 2 titles

strong