Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: The Odds That Cleveland Would Get The First Pick In 3 Out Of The Past 4 Years

I mean, I'm not going to sit here and tell you why the league benefits from Cleveland winning it. You can make a case for every team winning the lottery somehow benefiting the league.

I'm just saying in our LIFETIME we should only see a team with a 1% chance win the lottery ONCE. And we've now seen two of them win it in just a 6 year span.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: The Odds That Cleveland Would Get The First Pick In 3 Out Of The Past 4 Years

Improbable things happen all the time. Like OP makes a good post, Knicks have a winning season...etc.. Doesn't mean there is some rigging going on. Oilers picked #1 3 straight times in the NHL draft, is that rigged too?

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    livingpvssy I have you ignored but chose to read anyways.

So if I flip a coin a thousand times and get tails 999 of those times, it makes sense?
    Yes, why not?
    The chances of that happening is very very low, but it can still happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    You can calculate it yourself. It's not particularly hard.
    if you have read most of his posts then you would know that he probably never went to school.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Improbable things happen all the time. Like OP makes a good post, Knicks have a winning season...etc.. Doesn't mean there is some rigging going on. Oilers picked #1 3 straight times in the NHL draft, is that rigged too?
    the problem is when improbable things consistently happen like in the NBA draft lottery...

NBA Superstar

Roses'ACL I'm about to finish up graduating from one of the top colleges in the US dipshit

IDK what to tell Cav fans if they miss the playoffs again next year

I mean, I'm not going to sit here and tell you why the league benefits from Cleveland winning it. You can make a case for every team winning the lottery somehow benefiting the league.

I'm just saying in our LIFETIME we should only see a team with a 1% chance win the lottery ONCE. And we've now seen two of them win it in just a 6 year span.
    And is a 6 year span statistically significant? You are confusing law of large numbers with small numbers (in this case, you've only looked at the last 4-5 years).

Top 1 Bball Mind.

the problem is when improbable things consistently happen like in the NBA draft lottery...
    When you combine so many isolated events EVERYTHING is improbable. What are the odds that today's Miami/Indiana game plays out EXACTLY like it did? Or even that the players make/miss the shots they got? like one in trillions.

Local High School Star Magic731's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livinglegend
    Yes, why not?
    The chances of that happening is very very low, but it can still happen.
    You don't sound surprised. If Lebron walked into your house and put his **** in your anus would you be surprised? I mean, it CAN happen, can't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic731
    You don't sound surprised. If Lebron walked into your house and put his **** in your anus would you be surprised? I mean, it CAN happen, can't it?
    I wish Bran would stick his dick in my anus (no homo).

Nope. You'd have to factor in the year that they didn't get it.

The answer would come out to about .022% or 1:4544.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Nope. You'd have to factor in the year that they didn't get it.

The answer would come out to about .022% or 1:4544.
    Was about to say this as well. The odds the OP posted are just of them winning in the exact 3 years they did.

Sure, but at the same time, this year their chance of getting it was 2 out of 100.

You're acting as if that was their chance just for this years draft lottery. Fact is, plenty of teams in their position have won it.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Another example last 3 NBA championships:

Based on pre-season championship odds

2013 Heat - 5/11
    2012 Heat - 2/5
    2011 Mavs - 1/15

Combined that's just a 1.2% chance that these 3 teams would've won these 3 years. You can pretty much do this with anything.