Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Good High School Starter

Default Rate your conversation/speaking skills with this scale

Pick the one that best describes you. There is carry over...For example: #3 says, "You think you suck at holding a conversation". That also applies to #1 and #2 as well.

1. Usually has to clarify. Stammers basically every time you speak for an extended length(More than just "hey" or "how's it going"). This person has gotten completely stuck when asked a question, a question that if you were alone would've been easy to answer. Your conversations run dry before they even start.
    [Dull, Lackluster]

2. Usually has to clarify when speaking for an extended length. Your conversations run dry very quickly. Somewhere between 1 and 3.
    [Dull, Lackluster]

3. Either stammers or has to clarify more often than not when speaking for an extended length. You often feel caught off guard when expected to respond after being spoken to. You worry about what you're going say next. You think you suck at holding a conversation.
    [Not interesting]

4. Either stammers or has to clarify sometimes, less often than not. Your conversations tend to run dry after a while and at least one awkward silence is guaranteed. On average, you'd say the person you are talking to is definitely better at holding a conversation than you are, even if only by a little. The person you are talking to usually speaks more than you do. You feel the person you're talking to often feels uncomfortable. If a group is formed, you probably won't lead it.
    [Not interesting]

5. Your conversations for the most part run fluently. What you're trying to say is usually understood by the listener(s). You can hold a conversation fairly well but sometimes worry they'll run dry. On average, you'd say the person you're talking to is at the very least slightly better at holding a conversation than you are.
    [Somewhat interesting]

6. You think your speaking skills are around average. Your conversations tend to run fluently. On average, you and the person you're talking to say around the same amount of words in a conversation.
    [Somewhat interesting]

7. Fluent speaker. This person typically leads his conversations, saying more words than the person/people they're talking to. Sometimes what you were trying to say you feel wasn't fully understood. Awkward silences do happen but they're usually brief and/or not that bad.
    [Interesting]

8- This person almost always leads his conversations. Your conversations rarely if ever run dry and there is never an awkward silence. On average, you'd say you're definitely better at holding a conversation than the person/people you're talking to. You never feel like the person you're talking to is uncomfortable.
    [Interesting]

9. This person always leads his conversations. Your conversations never run dry and what you're going to say next never crosses your mind, you're immediately ready to respond after something is said to you. Your conversations go exactly how you want them to.
    [Confident, Charismatic]

10. Never has to clarify, listener comprehends what you said right away. Your conversations go exactly how you want them to. This person has probably been complemented on their speaking skills in some way.
    [Confident, Charismatic]

I imagine the most frequent posters on average are better communicators, but it could be the opposite, or there could be no correlation. I'd rate myself a 3

Default Re: Rate your conversation/speaking skills with this scale

6 or 7

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey
    6 or 7
    me too

Decent college freshman

depends who I'm talking to I guess. With most people probably 6-7, but if I'm talking to my grandma or someone who can literally talk for hours I let them do their thing and throw in an occasional "yeah", "wow" or "right"

depends entirely on who im talking to. somebody i dont know, or dont have much in common with, pretty low, like 3ish.

also, i wouldnt neccesarily say that the more you speak the more charasmatic/interesting you are. plenty of know-it-all assholes talk all the time, control the conversation. it doesnt make them interesting or charismatic. it means he lacks self awareness

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Probably a 7 or an 8, though I try to be mindful NOT to attempt to dominate a conversation as many people consider that rude or obnoxious.

I'd say 9. I'd be lying if I said I NEVER had to clarify something, but for the most part I'm just a very conversational person. My degree is in Public Relations so they pretty much taught us how to communicate most effectively, speak in front of hostile groups of people, think/respond quickly to unexpected questions and comments, keep our composure and talk our way out of any corner. Smile and wink, smile and wink

Learning to shoot layups PassTheRock's Avatar

Talking to family and close friends; 7-8
    Talking with everyone else; 3-4

Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

Somewhere in between a 3 and 4.

Quite often, I find myself in awkward predicaments with attractive women who display interest in me but are waiting for me to start something. I don't. So, when they attempt to initiate a conversation, I end up stammering and sounding like an idiot with little clarity. Sometimes they find it endearing but I find it too awkward and am too ashamed to continue.

This happened at the book store today.

I'm such an idiot.

i suck at speaking. but one day i will learn to articulate and be well spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey
    6 or 7
    samesies

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

i'm twice better when im drunk (or high back in the days), that's all i know

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

I talk a lot, and love presenting speeches and whatnot. My Public Speaking teacher says I'm probably one of the best she's had over the past 27 years. But if you're talking about flirting with a girl and just hanging out, I'm almost always the one starting conversations, continuing them, bringing up a bunch of things, etc. So somewhere between a 9-10.

Between 8 or 10 depending on who that person is.

I kilt an interview at work the other day just by speaking hot shit. I call it the three C's of Cuccess. Confidence, charisma, charming.