Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default In today's NBA, I won't draft a shooting guard with questionable 3-point shooting

All of the elite shooting guards in this year's draft are good 3 points shooters.

9x All Defensive 1st And1AllDay's Avatar

Default Re: In today's nba I won't draft a shooting guard with a questionable 3 points shooti

more skilled era requires more skill

back in the old days stars didnt even know how to dribble with both hands like drexler or shoot a 3 pointer like mike

it was a limited time

modern era is different and we see it you need to do a lot just to get a shot. no more grocery baggers round here

College star

Default Re: In today's nba I won't draft a shooting guard with a questionable 3 points shooti

Quote Originally Posted by And1AllDay View Post

back in the old days stars didnt even know how to dribble with both hands like drexler or shoot a 3 pointer like mike

it was a limited time

modern era is different and we see it you need to do a lot just to get a shot. no more grocery baggers round here
    Harden shoots 36% from deep. I think you would take a player like him. MJ's first 5 seasons he shot just 20%. The next 8 he shot 36%. Even if you deduct the shortened line years, he's shooting 34% in the remaining years.

In an era like this, it's not difficult to imagine he would shoot 3pt %s similar to Harden.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    Harden shoots 36% from deep. I think you would take a player like him. MJ's first 5 seasons he shot just 20%. The next 8 he shot 36%. Even if you deduct the shortened line years, he's shooting 34% in the remaining years.

In an era like this, it's not difficult to imagine he would shoot 3pt %s similar to Harden.
    Harden is a horrible example because he shoots nothing but iso stepback 3s. No reason to compare any shooter to him

College star

You guys are blind if you think that players from MJ's era wouldn't evolve. In fact, they evolved in the very era they played.

MJ's first 5 seasons: 20%
    MJ's next 8 seasons: 36%

Magic's first 8 seasons: 19%
    Magic's next 4 seasons: 34%

Stockton's first 5 seasons: 24%
    Stockton's next 13 seasons: 40%

Bird's first 5 seasons: 31%
    Bird's next 7 seasons: 40%

Drexler's first 7 seasons: 24%
    Drexler's next 8 seasons: 33%

Mullin's first 6 seasons: 31%
    Mullin's next 10 seasons: 41%

Vandeweghe's first 6 seasons: 28%
    Vandeweghe's next 7 seasons: 40%

I could go on, but you get the point. The 3 point line was introduced in the 1979-80 season. As time went on, players increased their volume, which resulted in increased 3 point %s. Even if we assume that MJ doesn't shoot 50%, 43%, and 37% in the shortened years, then what does that number look like with a regular line, given that he shot 35.4% in 1993? 45%, 39%, 35%? You can't just assume that his numbers would fall off the map.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons View Post
    Harden is a horrible example because he shoots nothing but iso stepback 3s. No reason to compare any shooter to him
    I think you're missing my point. If the OP wouldn't take a guy like MJ (which seems to be the case), then he wouldn't take a player like Harden, just based off of percentages, which have a context to begin with.

I mean, no Wade, Westbrook, Harden, etc? Seems odd. Your name is Ben Simmons. No Simmons, either? Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    I think you're missing my point. If the OP wouldn't take a guy like MJ (which seems to be the case), then he wouldn't take a player like Harden, just based off of percentages, which have a context to begin with.

I mean, no Wade, Westbrook, Harden, etc? Seems odd. Your name is Ben Simmons. No Simmons, either? Strange.
    Is Ben Simmons a shooting gaurd? thats news to me

Saw a basketball once

Man tell me why Hoops keep sonning y’all dudes

For real, using Jordan as an example of a player who OP wouldn’t take because he “can’t shoot
    3s” is a new level of reaching.

College star

Is Ben Simmons a shooting gaurd? thats news to me
    K, let's look at more shooting guards then

Ainge's first 5 seasons: 29%
    Ainge's next 9 seasons: 39%

Majerle's first 3 seasons: 31%
    Majerle's next 11 seasons: 36%

Anderson's first 5 seasons: 33%
    Anderson's next 8 seasons: 38%

R. Harper's first 4 seasons: 24%
    R. Harper's next 11 seasons: 30%

Should I keep going or is this enough? Needless to say, players have increased 3 point percentages when their volumes began to rise. Jordan is of no exception. His highest volumes resulted in the following percentages:

1990: 38%
    1993: 35%
    1996: 43%
    1997: 37%

Some context will help fellas. Use it.

And I know Simmons isn't a shooting guard, but Wade and Harden are, and Westbrook at least plays like one.

Quote Originally Posted by nizroc View Post

For real, using Jordan as an example of a player who OP wouldn’t take because he “can’t ahopt
    bruh someone did the numbers if you take out his 2 wnba 3 pt line years he shot like 28% on 1,000 attempts

Wade is easily disqualified then.

Local High School Star

it was a limited time

Not drafting Jordan? You'd be a bigger idiot than you already are

College star

Quote Originally Posted by nizroc View Post

For real, using Jordan as an example of a player who OP wouldn’t take because he “can’t shoot
    I'm just trying to provide context. Far too often we see these plug and play attempts and it doesn't really work that way. You have to understand the context of where the 3 pointer came into existence and how it evolved.

College star

bruh someone did the numbers if you take out his 2 wnba 3 pt line years he shot like 28% on 1,000 attempts
    Again, context. Players evolved. With increased volume comes increased percentages. Go look at Jordan's first 5 seasons vs the rest of his career, minus the shortened years.

College star

So basically, no Jordan, Wade, West, Drexler, Kobe? But you'd prefer Allen, Miller, Houston, Richmond, and Klay? Interesting.